PDA

View Full Version : Nothing like getting home from vacation...

Ernie Nyvall
06-03-2006, 6:58 PM
All ready to relax and kick up your feet. I did that this last week, but when we arrived, there was something not quite right... a sound that shouldn't be there... a distant humming that I couldn't quite put my finger on, and from another direction a hissing.

In stealth mode I slithered toward the humming, blending with the grass... the lizards didn't even see me passing. Then, climbing the first tree I leapt from one to the other until finally coming to rest next to the door of an out building where the humming was much louder. With lightening reflexes, I was through the door as though it hadn't even opened, and from the knot on my forehead, maybe it hadn't. Still though, I was in and had not been detected by the humming water pump.

Hmmm why is the water pump running I asked myself, and then I remembered the hissing:eek:

Well, you guessed it. I had a water leak. I had installed one of those whole house water filters for sediment years ago, and sometime while we were gone it cracked, and by the amount of water around, probably the day we left. Just what you want to deal with when you get home from an eight hour drive. Good thing is that since I bought the first one, they now make them with a 1" entrance and exit, and our water pressure is much better now... the silver lining. :cool:

Ernie

Ken Fitzgerald
06-03-2006, 7:02 PM
Ernie..............I hope the water damage wasn't too bad! I had a co-worker take his family to Romania for 4 weeks of vacation. When he returned home he found a water supply line on his kitchen sink had burst while he was gone. It was 4 months and about $48,000 before he was back living in the house.

Ernie Nyvall
06-03-2006, 7:31 PM
No damage Ken. The filter is outside. Thank goodness for that.

Ernie

Steve Clardy
06-03-2006, 8:24 PM
Good story!!
Sorry about the leak.

Aaahhh. So how's the knot on the head:eek: :)

Barry Stratton
06-05-2006, 3:08 AM
No damage Ken. The filter is outside. Thank goodness for that.

Ernie

Glad to hear there was no damage - not fun to come home to emergency repairs! I must say, for a minute I thought you might have stumbled on a way to keep bats out of your toliets......:D