PDA

View Full Version : Getting dust off a stained surface before finishing

Brian Hale
06-03-2006, 2:43 PM
OK, so I'm an idiot. :o

I'm getting ready to spray a finish on this desk but decided to add 1 more support block to a toe kick first. I find a chunk of scrap, turn on the saw and then the DC.

Did i mention I'm an idiot??? :mad:

Well, i hit the DC power switch and turn around to head back to the TS when i notice something doesn't sound right. Quickly turning around i see the top bag of the DC fluttering in the air! :eek: Dust is shooting out of the DC at an incredible rate!! :confused: :eek: Hurricane Katrina couldn't move that much dust that fast!

DID i mention i'm a TOTAL IDIOT ???????????????

Seems i got distracted when i emptyed the DC last time and didn't secure the clamp that holds the top bag on. :o :o

Yes, i put the oron in moron :mad:

Shut down the DC, turn on the air filter and head outside. An hour later the air is cleared but the entire shop (basement shop no less) is covered with a thin layer of very fine dust. A few hours with the shop vac and things are looking pretty good but I'm worried about the layer of dust on the desk and it's drawer fronts and such.

Is vacuuming it enough? I'm afraid the vac nozzle might leave unseen marks that'll show up when i spray the finish or I'll miss some spots. The stain is Minwax and i applied it last weekend. Is there something i can wipe it down with like a rag with MS?

What would you do??

Please help this moron-in-need

Brian :(

Steve Clardy
06-03-2006, 3:28 PM
I just use an air nozzle.

Al Willits
06-03-2006, 3:37 PM
Maybe go in and steal the little thingie the wife uses on her vacuum, I believe they are used for curtains and such, little square attachment that has a brush on the end.

Don't get caught with it, she may think you've developed an interest in vacuums and have you do the front room while your there.

Al

Bruce Page
06-03-2006, 3:41 PM
I would also use a couple of fresh tac rags after blowing it off and the dust has settled.

Brian Hale
06-03-2006, 3:45 PM
Read the label on the can of finish (Target USL) is says to wipe the surface with a moist cloth. I'll try that.

Man, do i feel dumb :o

Brian

Mike Cutler
06-03-2006, 4:03 PM
I wouldn't say that you're an idiot Brian. You just a slight mishap, a little humorous though. That Dust Collector spewing dust must have been something to see, not that I personally want to see it.;)

I would use a combination of the vacum, and an air compressor. Set the air compressor nozzle pretty low, and hold the vacum attachment in front of the air stream. When done, give it few good wipes a barely damp rag, and all should be well.

Brian Hale
06-03-2006, 5:44 PM
I wouldn't say that you're an idiot Brian. You just a slight mishap, a little humorous though. That Dust Collector spewing dust must have been something to see, not that I personally want to see it.;)

Oh, it was a sight all right! :rolleyes: Kinda funny now that i think about. :D

Howard Acheson
06-03-2006, 6:22 PM
First, I would not recommend blowing the dust off. After all, you just saw what happens when dust gets blown. It ends up in the air and eventually must settle somewhere. Guess where that will be? :eek: :mad: .

I would just hook up the shop vac and attach a brush attachment and vacuum off the project. It should get up virtually all the dust just like it does when you vacuum sanding dust before finishing. It shouldn't scratch the stain. Next, lightly dampen a cloth with mineral spirits--and I mean just barely dampen--and gently wipe each surface once. You can now apply your first coat of finish. Let it dry and then sand it with 320 paper and then apply your final clear coats.

Steve Clardy
06-03-2006, 6:57 PM
Oh, it was a sight all right! :rolleyes: Kinda funny now that i think about. :D

Kinda like the Dirty 30's Dust Bowl:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Brian Hale
06-03-2006, 7:15 PM
Just to add insult to injury......

My HVLP turbine just died. It's a 15+ year old Campbell Hausfeld outfit that's seen a lot of use and it appears the bearings have siezed. :mad:

Now i get to spend $$$$ on a new one.

oh boy

Steve Clardy
06-03-2006, 7:18 PM
Go outside and take the tomcat with ya.
Kick him over the neighbors fence:eek: and go back and try again Brian.

Your day sounds like one I had sometime ago:o :o :( :rolleyes: ;)

glenn bradley
06-03-2006, 8:03 PM
There. You see? The workshop elves were helping you. they move in mysterious ways. What nice, new, shiney HVLP unit would you pick after your experience with the CH?

P.s. Thanks for the visual; Katrina force dust shower. . . that got me ;-)

Allen Bookout
06-03-2006, 8:07 PM
Brian,

The only good thing that I can think of about your day is that it made my day seem a LOT better. I do not know how you keep such a good attitude. By now I would have to replace windows as well because of throwing a tantrum and heaving some tools throught some windows. Just my way of showing a little displeasue.

See, even Glenn can look at the bright side. Why can't I do that?

Steve's suggestion about kicking the tomcat over the neighbors fence is more my style.

Keep up the good attitude!!!!! ---- however you do it.

Allen

Brian Hale
06-03-2006, 8:12 PM
........I do not know how you keep such a good attitude.......

my doctor upped my medician :rolleyes: I'm ok now ;)

John Miliunas
06-03-2006, 9:45 PM
my doctor upped my medician :rolleyes: I'm ok now ;)

I would've been spittin' bullets by then!!! :eek: Hmmmm...wonder if my insurance would take a referral to see your doc???? :D :cool:

Jerry Olexa
06-03-2006, 10:46 PM
I'd clear air first. Then vacuum with the soft attachment followed by a wipedown w a tack rag or a rag dipped lightly in MS. Then finish on..

John Miliunas
06-03-2006, 11:09 PM
I'd clear air first. Then vacuum with the soft attachment followed by a wipedown w a tack rag or a rag dipped lightly in MS. Then finish on..

Jerry, I think Brian mentioned he'll be using Target. IIRC, that's a water borne finish and, I'm pretty sure most finish OEM's of that nature recommend to NOT use tack cloths! I believe it has something to do with the possible residue from the tack cloth itself, which may be left behind after wiping. :) :cool:

Allen Bookout
06-04-2006, 12:28 AM
I have never used waterbourn products and it is a good thing that I looked at this as I plan to give it a try in the future. The last thing that I would have done before spraying, assuming that I did not research the total process, is to hit it with a tack rag. I just cannot imagine anything else getting it pretty much contaminant free.

Are there special tack rags for water based product prep? I can see that I will need to do some studying before jumping into this process. I took a quick read through Jeff's book at the library and the answers are probably in there.

Allen

Brian Hale
06-04-2006, 9:10 AM
I avoid the standard "tack rags" because I've alway been afraid that some of the sticky stuff would get transfered to the piece and screw up the finish. I have a hard enough time getting a good looking finish without adding variables :rolleyes:

Anyway, it looks like the damp rag worked pretty good. Of course it may not get sprayed for awhile yet..... :(

Brian :)

Jerry Olexa
06-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Jerry, I think Brian mentioned he'll be using Target. IIRC, that's a water borne finish and, I'm pretty sure most finish OEM's of that nature recommend to NOT use tack cloths! I believe it has something to do with the possible residue from the tack cloth itself, which may be left behind after wiping. :) :cool:

Thanks John. I stand corrected..(your honor:D :) ) I personally never use tack rags. I use a clean, soft rag lightly dampened w MS. This way, I feel I'm not leaving any residue before I go to next step. It also gives you an advance look at how the wood will react to the oil or stain, etc and then quickly evaporates. Just my approach.