PDA

View Full Version : Scary Sharp for Dummies

glenn bradley
06-03-2006, 2:23 PM
I stink at sports. I can't work on cars without leaving them worse off than when I started and I can't SHARPEN stuff worth a darn either. So I had to find out if this Scary Sharp method with the Veritas jig was the answer to my recessive sharpening gene dilemma.

It seems to be. For about $30 in abbrasives and glass plus some scrap I was set up. I grabbed a 'general purpose' (read crappy-old) chisel and in about 15 minutes was very pleased with the result. If you too suffer from whatever my abnormality is that keeps me from being able to get a good edge freehand, give it a try. Beautiful curly shavings off end grain. Whooda thought?

Oh yeah, my photo skills stink too; I couldn't get a good picture of the surface without the flash glaring back and shots without a flash were a blur so you'll have to trust me; you can see yourself in the shine.

Rodney ORourke
06-03-2006, 2:48 PM
Great post - nice pics too ! Glad about your success on sharpening !

I like the Scary Sharp process too and use the new Veritas Shapening Jig with it - especially nice is the Veritas ability to put a 1 - 2 degree micro bevel on hand planes.

Joe Jansen
06-03-2006, 2:55 PM
I am sharpening challenged myself.
How much for the set up.
Joe

Allen Bookout
06-03-2006, 3:03 PM
Your photo skills look really good to me. That makes me think that your automotive and sharpning skills are much better than you are leading us to believe.

Are you sure that you are not one of those guys that makes things look so easy at the shows?

Allen

Vaughn McMillan
06-03-2006, 6:27 PM
Glenn, isn't it nice the first time you turn the chisel over and see yourself in the reflection? I've always considered myself a decent sharpener, but like you, I bought some super fine grits, a piece of marble floor tile, and the MkII jig, and got my bench chisels sharper than I've ever seen them. Easier, faster, sharper, and for not a lot of money. (Joe, I've got probably about $65- to $70 invested, including about $50 for the Veritas MkII jig. That's a bargain for the results you can get.)

I've had the same luck getting handplane blades sharp with this method, but I still need to learn more of the nuances of setting up a plane, to be able to take advantage of my new sharp plane blades. (I'm still at the stage with planes where I mess up more wood than I fix.) :o

- Vaughn

Travis Johnson
06-03-2006, 8:01 PM
I was always told this....

Never over spend on a sharpening method. In today's world, there is a ton of manufacturers trying to seperate you from your hard earned cash, it is a dismal way to look at life I suppose, but certainly true. Thanks to the Scary Sharp method this is one way to fight back.

I am glad you found this method works well for you. It works very well for me and it is unbelievable how much this simple, single facet of woodworking has improved my woodworking. From general construction, to fine-fitting dovetail joints, the ability to have a keen edge that can take the slightest sliver of wood off a board cannot be overstated.

For those that read this and are struggling with sharpening, I can only say really give this method a look. My only complaint is that I did not learn this method 12 years ago. It would have saved me many, many headaches.

glenn bradley
06-03-2006, 8:12 PM
The Veitas MKII jig is $46 - $50. I just ordered it direct from Lee Valley at $48. The micro-abrasive film was $16 for a kit that "Tools for Working Wood" has put together based on the FWW article. Supposed to be 2 each of 15, 5 and .3 micron but they sent me 3 of the 15 micron :D . Thier part # ST-MAF.FWWKit. Be careful not to toss the .3 micron sheets thinking thier typing paper. Very fine but very effective.

Tools for working wood's site is not well developed. I finally just called (800-426-4613 or 212-604-9535) they were super nice and very specific about exactly what I was after.

glenn bradley
06-03-2006, 8:13 PM
How I wish. I'm an engineer by trade. I can follow directions but have very little artistic ability. Thank goodness for the folks at this site who share thier experiences and work so generously!

Bruce Wrenn
06-03-2006, 10:23 PM
I, too use the sandpaper method of sharpening along with a homemade 6" grinder. For final polishing, try some Tormek paste on a piece of MDF. You might want to put a drop of light oil on MDF before Tormek paste. As you rub chisel over MDF, the MDF will turn black. This is steel removed in polishing of blade. I don't use a guide for holding chisel (or plane blade), but I rest the hollow grind so both front and back edges are on sand paper or MDF and rub side to side. Looks kinda wierd the first time you see it, but works great! I don't loose angle, because I don't lift chisel after every stroke.

Jerry Olexa
06-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Also me! I'm a believer and still am surprised at the true sharpness and performance using this simple (and inexpensive) method. It almost shouldn't work but it DOES and the Veritas jig makes it easy!!