PDA

View Full Version : Grinding advice

Curt Fuller
06-03-2006, 1:15 PM
I have a 3/8 Henry Taylor spindle gouge that I can't sharpen without getting a point at the tip. I've never had this problem with any other gouges but they're all larger. Is there a secret to sharpening a smaller gouge and keeping it rounded?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-03-2006, 1:20 PM
Curt.......I was having the same trouble with my Robert Larson gouge.

I use a Wolverine grinding jig. I ended up changing the angle of the bevel and spending more time grinding in the middle.

Michael Stafford
06-03-2006, 1:37 PM
Are you gentlemen using the Wolverine vari-grind jig? If so the secret is spend less time on the sides and shorten up the point. If you bring back the ears a little more and shorten the tip you will get a more rounded fingernail profile.

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2006, 2:45 PM
When I contacted Oneway about the Wolverine jig they said the same thing as Mike. Spend a little more time on the nose and a little less on the sides. They have a video on their website you can watch that shows you how to do this. They did a specfic little spot showing how to do this. It helped me a bunch when do my spindle gouges. Hope this helps Curt.

Corey Hallagan
06-03-2006, 4:00 PM
I pulled one out of the crapper by doing just what Mike says. Any time I am sharpening and I start to get pointy, I start grinding more in the center. Of course my buddy Bernie tipped me off to this and it works great after he talked to Oneway.

Corey

Frank Fusco
06-03-2006, 4:10 PM
I sharpen freehand and watch what is happening. No problem with pointy points.

Jim Becker
06-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Yea, the Vari-grind is the solution to this problem.

Curt Fuller
06-04-2006, 1:32 AM
Thanks everyone. I use a home made wolverine-ish jig. This little gouge seems very sensitive to grinding, at least more so than my bigger ones. It only takes a split second to turn the edge blue. I try working at the center just a little longer though.