PDA

View Full Version : It all started with....tissue box

Nissim Avrahami
06-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Good day

One day it was a night, Japan, 10 years ago, my wife asked me if I could make for her a tissue box.
“Of course I can”.
We went to the nearest carpenter and I ordered ¼” plywood cut exactly to my dimensions.

At home, I connected all the pieces with CA (supper glue), some sanding and varnish, the box was ready and my woodworking hobby went on the road. Did I say hobby; Madness is more correct.

Since then, I made many “boxes” but much bigger with partitions, drawers and doors but I will always remember how I started woodworking, thanks to my wife.

Oh ya, I made the hole for the tissues MYSELF.

Regards
niki

RichMagnone
06-03-2006, 1:24 PM
That is wonderfully elegant. Two questions:

1) How does it stay together? ie - the top piece and the bottom piece. Is it just a bit snug or does it really just "sit" in place?

2) What did you do to get the two tones of color on the wood? Is that an inlay or a different stain?

I share office space with an attorney who works divorce cases and he is always stealing my kleenex (obviosuly there is lots of crying in divorce law... usually when they see the bill). I think that would be a neat little project.

Nissim Avrahami
06-03-2006, 2:12 PM
Thanks RichMagnone

The top (with the hole) is “supper glued” like the rest of the box.
If you noticed the bottom is made of two plates, (also supper glued) one to fit the outer part and one to fit the inner part, when I push it in, it fits snugly to the inner part of the box and holds.

The two tones are actually because of different kind of plywood for the top, its not layers but kind of chipboard between two layer and when I varnished it, it changed to darker color.

niki

Corey Hallagan
06-03-2006, 6:20 PM
A great project any time any where. Very nice!

Corey

Dan Oliphant
06-03-2006, 8:55 PM
Very nice job Nissim, that project could also be "massproduced" and sold at fairs and such.

Tom Sontag
06-04-2006, 2:39 AM
One of my very first projects from scratch was a similar box. Mine had no bottom but its hole was not as elegantly shaped as yours. I still like it though; lacewood and tissues go together well.

Mike Cutler
06-04-2006, 7:57 AM
Very nice.

It has a very clean look to it. The change in color from the plywood substrate edges defines the dimensions of the box. Very nice.

As an aside, I've followed your other posts. It seems that you have a knack for creating things, tools, shop aids, etc.. Keep them coming. I especially liked the magnifier over the scale height jig that you posted.

Charles Bruno
06-04-2006, 8:36 AM
Nice and clean, great "How I got started in wood working" story!:)