PDA

View Full Version : Calling Dick Strauss....

Michael Stafford
06-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Here are the pictures I promised. I have one detail gouge that is relatively new that I am in the process of reshaping and 4 spindle gouges that I use for hollowing boxes.

In the first picture which is a "side view" the detail gouge is at the top. It looks like I am fairly consistent on the angle which I guess is around 55-60 degrees.

In the second picture you can see that some are more pointed than others and some are very broadly ground. It all depends on the wood. Really hard woods seem to respond to the more pointed grinds and softer woods cut more cleanly with the more rounded ends.

No doubt the detail gouge with the shorter grind has become my favorite. It came from Packard and has more steel under the flute and is much less subject to vibration/chatter.

Hope this helps.....

Ken Fitzgerald
06-03-2006, 1:04 PM
Big Mike...........Thanks! One of the things I've felt that weren't covered enough in the books and videos I have is photographs of grinds on gouges! Thanks again!

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2006, 3:09 PM
Thanks for the pictures Big Mike. That helps a lot seeing them at two angles.

Corey Hallagan
06-03-2006, 3:54 PM
Let me say thanks too, even though you didn't post this for me. This is good info!

Corey

Dick Strauss
06-04-2006, 1:06 AM
Thanks Big Mike...just what the doctor ordered to answer my question. Did you say these were 3/8" spindle gouges in your previous post?

Many thanks,
Dick

Michael Stafford
06-04-2006, 6:31 AM
I don't recall saying. For the record they are a mix of 3/8", 7/16" and 1/2". I find if I have to extend the 3/8" much more than an inch or so I get chatter but the 1/2" gouges will allow me to reach more than 2" in some woods. I can certainly take more aggressive cuts with the larger gouges.