PDA

View Full Version : Black Locust?

Roger Myers
06-03-2006, 12:26 PM
During the storms of the last couple of days I lost most of a black locust tree by our back deck. Today or tomorrow I'll cut it up... main trunks are about 6-8" in diameter, so not all that big but maybe a few small bowl blanks, stoppers, pens, tool handles, etc...
I've never turned black locust and searched and saw a few threads on here about it.... Anybody with experience with this have any particular advice about how it turns, what it might be best suited for, and any advice on cutting/preparing blanks. I was going to cut into 24" lengths and anchor seal the ends until I knew more about what to do with it, but perhaps I should go right into smaller blanks?? What say you more experienced folks??
Thanks...
Roger

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Roger you will probably get better advise from the experience turners. I have been turning now for about 6 months. I have turned black locust and it turns pretty good when green. I roughed out a couple of bowls from it and then soaked it in DNA then dried. I did find out when dry it is like concrete. It is a really hard wood but sure does make some pretty bowls. I think you could make any of what you said with that wood. It depends on the size of the bowls I am going to turn as to how long I cut the logs. How I was told by some SMC'ers was if I want to turn a 8" bowl out of a log I would cut it long enough for 2 bowls that big 16" plus 6" on each end for waste. So I cut my logs about 30" long so in case the ends crack I can cut some off and still have enough for bowls. I have some Ash, Elm and Honey Locust in log form and some have been laying for 3 to 4 months. I have found that they can crack into the log sometimes up to 4" or so. So I would account for that. I always leave them 6" longer on each end just in case. Here is a couple of pictures of my first bowl which was black locust. Hope that helps.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=31212&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1139179796 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=31212&d=1139179796) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=31209&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1139179781

Jim Becker
06-03-2006, 1:00 PM
For bowls, boxes and vessels...turn the green, at least to rough. BL is VERY hard when it's dry. For pens and other spindle-oriented work, you want it dry.

Roger Myers
06-03-2006, 1:15 PM
Thanks Barry & Jim... Looks like I'll plan to do some roughing out over the next week or so.... Hated to see this tree go right in full bloom... It is so fragrant and the honey bees love it, although the bees are causing me problems of another sort as they have taken up residence in the attic above the garage... and there are plenty of more black locust, honey locust, honeysuckle, etc. on the property to keep them well supplied in nectar... Going to have to call a local beekeeper soon to have him remove the hive(s)...
Thanks for the advice guys!

John Shuk
06-03-2006, 3:24 PM
BL is even tough on the chainsaw blade. Plan on sharpening alot no matter what you do with it.

Dick Strauss
06-04-2006, 1:16 AM
Roger,
Locust is hard on tools but will probably be prettier than you think when it is finished. Get rid of the pith+1/2-1" unless you don't mind cracks in your work. As others have said, try to get your best surface with the tools before sanding, otherwise you'll be working the sanding for quite a while. Also be careful not to overheat the wood during sanding to avoid spiderwebbing across the grain.

BOL,
Dick