PDA

View Full Version : Window Sill board

Byron Trantham
06-03-2006, 11:24 AM
I have a window sill board (on the outside of the house) that needs to be replaced. The board is captured underneath the brick mold and window frame (fixed frame). Can I remove that puppy without damaging the brick mold/window? I was thinking about using a chisel to split it out in pieces until it's out. I have been replacing wood pieces a little at a time with a material made by Azek. They sell standard size trim boards just for this purpose and the stuff is bullet proof. Any ideas/speculations?

Steve Clardy
06-03-2006, 1:04 PM
Should be attached to window. Brick mold should be ok, not fastened there usually. Probably a little digging with a chisel should do it.
Old chisel. I'd probably be the first one to hit a nail with a good chisel. Lol

Ben Grunow
06-03-2006, 8:42 PM
Just remove the brick mold. the joint between the exterior casings and the sill is important and must be sealed right to keep the end grain sealed. You're only talking 15' of trim and 2 miters. Plus you could make the new trim in azek and glue it for a everlasting job. (I trimmed my whole house in azek-27 windows with 5/4 x 4 casings and 3 1/2" crowns and 3 exterior doors including the front with pediment and fluted pilasters-all plastic). My experience is that the job is done better and much faster if the casings are sacrificed. Maybe remove the sill and replace it and then remove the damaged casings (leave them to hold the window while the sill is ripped out and replaced-the casings might be the only thing holding the window in, except for the interior trim)

Byron Trantham
06-04-2006, 7:15 AM
Just remove the brick mold. the joint between the exterior casings and the sill is important and must be sealed right to keep the end grain sealed. You're only talking 15' of trim and 2 miters. Plus you could make the new trim in azek and glue it for a everlasting job. (I trimmed my whole house in azek-27 windows with 5/4 x 4 casings and 3 1/2" crowns and 3 exterior doors including the front with pediment and fluted pilasters-all plastic). My experience is that the job is done better and much faster if the casings are sacrificed. Maybe remove the sill and replace it and then remove the damaged casings (leave them to hold the window while the sill is ripped out and replaced-the casings might be the only thing holding the window in, except for the interior trim)

Ben, I love this stuff. I just finished replacing another corner of the house yesterday. I have three more to go. The front porch, a big arch, is next.