PDA

View Full Version : Federal Period Card Table

Chris Barton
06-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi Everyone,

This is a follow-up to a post I started a few months ago regarding my efforts to build a Federal Period Card Table as shown in the pages of FWW in an article by Steve Latta. I started this project in Feb, and have worked on it on an occasional basis for the most part of my weekends since. The table is made from curly cherry I got from Steve Wall Lumber with 6 paterae, ebonized feet and ebony and holly badning. I used TransTint dyes for stains and used shellac for the final finish (sprayed then, French polish). I used my Robland X31 to demension all structural pieces and my Laguna LT16HD band saw to cut the brick laid skirt and the solid curly cherry top. I will have to say that I learned a lot building this project and it was not without some tragic mistakes. I would also have to say I was very glad to get it finished. Comments and critques welcome!

glenn bradley
06-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I love that table and find myself re-reviewing it in FWW to the point where the mag is dog-eared. You did an excellent job. If you can't see the painful errors they were'n't errors, they were a learning experience ;-). I have quite a ways to go before I could attempt that type of contruction but I'm having a blast along the way.

lou sansone
06-03-2006, 12:10 PM
hi chris
let me be the first to say .... WOW, very nice job. I had seen that table in FWW and thought to myself that it would be real fun to build. It came out real nice. I happen to be in the minority here when it comes to cherry ( there seems to be a strong preference that cherry should never be colored ), but I personally like to dye my cherry to the color that you have. Again the table looks great. I know what you mean when you said " glad to get it done"

regards
lou

Hank Knight
06-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Beautiful job, Chris! I like everything about it - the color, the style, the inlay -everything. Great work.

Hank

Roy Wall
06-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Chris,

That is one NICE TABLE. I do like the Cherry color!! Like many of us on SMC - I get FWW and reviewed the article.....you have done a fabulous job.........way to GO!!!!

I'd like to know your take (construction) on the tapered legs and ebony feet......

Frank Fusco
06-03-2006, 12:39 PM
A very fine piece of furniture. It looks complex. You are to be commended for the job and patience required.

Don Dean
06-03-2006, 1:08 PM
Your piece is inspiration to us beginning our adventure in woodworking.

Shelley Bolster
06-03-2006, 2:31 PM
Your piece is inspiration to us beginning our adventure in woodworking.

I would like to add to that Chris........not only the beginners are inspired by woodworking such as that, but those of us who have been doing it for a while also gain inspiration from craftsmanship like you have displayed in this piece! It turned out just beautiful Chris.
Your repertoire in woodworking is something to be admired.......your skill at turning, your flat work, inlay and now carving, not to mention the ability to master a good finish.......all makes you a true "woodworker" in every sense of the word!

Dan Oliphant
06-03-2006, 3:11 PM
Chris, well done, based on the photos, it looks more like a museum piece.

Mike Henderson
06-03-2006, 3:24 PM
Wow, Chris, that's an impressive job on the table. Congratulations.

One question. You said you bought 6 paterae and it looks like there's one on each leg. Where are the other two? Are they on the "back" side of the back legs? In other words, do the back legs each have two paterae, one each on the two exposed sides when the table is closed?

Great job.

Mike

Rick de Roque
06-03-2006, 3:32 PM
Very nice, Chris. The detail is wonderful.

Rick

John Timberlake
06-03-2006, 4:04 PM
Great job. I love the overall looks and really like the tables with two swinging legs instead of one. Nice figure on the apron. I plan to make something similar for my son as soon as I make a bed for my other son. Hope mine turns out this good.

Chris Barton
06-03-2006, 4:16 PM
Wow, Chris, that's an impressive job on the table. Congratulations.

One question. You said you bought 6 paterae and it looks like there's one on each leg. Where are the other two? Are they on the "back" side of the back legs? In other words, do the back legs each have two paterae, one each on the two exposed sides when the table is closed?

Great job.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Good catch on the paterae! Here is another picture that will explain. The back two legs that swing have 2 paterae each (one on each side that can face out.)

Mike Henderson
06-03-2006, 4:23 PM
Thanks for the info on the paterae, Chris. One more question, if you'll indulge me. How did you hinge the two back gate legs? Did you make the traditional wooden hinges with a pin, or did you use commercial hinges?

If you made the traditional wooden hinges, diid you find them difficult to make?

Mike

Richard Wolf
06-03-2006, 4:45 PM
Great job Chris, well done.

Richard

Chris Barton
06-03-2006, 4:45 PM
Thanks for the info on the paterae, Chris. One more question, if you'll indulge me. How did you hinge the two back gate legs? Did you make the traditional wooden hinges with a pin, or did you use commercial hinges?

If you made the traditional wooden hinges, diid you find them difficult to make?

Mike

While I know they are hard to see in the picture, I made the traditional wooden hinges and yes, they were difficult to make. That was one of my first "tradigies." The first set I made were hideous. The second try was much better. I used 1/4" brass rod for the pin and used my drill press to make the hole for the pin. It took a considerable amount of hand carving to get them to work correctly and open square. In fact, that is probably the most difficult part of the entire piece.

Andy Hoyt
06-03-2006, 5:12 PM
For a guy who no longer gets thrilled by FWW, you sure thrilled me with your use of it. Well done, Chris!

Carl Eyman
06-03-2006, 5:51 PM
The year the Working Wood in the Eighteenth Century seminar at Williamsburg did tables Jeff Headley did a hinge for a gateleg similiar to yours. It failed to swing level. You can see even the best (and I consider him among the best) can screw up that joint. I've never tried one and probably never will. Congratulations on getting it done.

Corey Hallagan
06-03-2006, 6:10 PM
Chris, my freind that is simpley AWESOME!! Stunning work!

Corey

John Scarpa
06-03-2006, 7:02 PM
Chris,

Nice work indeed. Your effort is an inspiration! Thanks for sharing.

John

Seth Poorman
06-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Hey Chris
Sweet !!!!!!!!! Great Job!!!!!! I likes it !!!!!!!!! Fine work!!!!!!!!!
Id like to try my hand at one of these tables some time, I guess its another project to ad to my list.......:rolleyes:

Mark Singer
06-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Wonderful rendition.....just excellent!

Jim Becker
06-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Beautiful job, Chris!! Outstanding, even!!

Vaughn McMillan
06-04-2006, 1:15 AM
Superb job, Chris. Definitely up there with the best of them.

- Vaughn

Helen Gee
06-04-2006, 1:43 AM
That is just beautiful craftsmanship :) I love all the detail work!!! excellent job :)

tod evans
06-04-2006, 8:00 AM
very nice chris!

Doug Shepard
06-04-2006, 8:08 AM
Excellent job! My only criticism is: MORE PICS:D Would love to see some closeups of some of the details.

Chris Barton
06-04-2006, 9:00 AM
Excellent job! My only criticism is: MORE PICS:D Would love to see some closeups of some of the details.

Here you go...

The first pic is in natural light and is close to actual color but missing some red... The remainder are with a flash that makes them look slightly redder than actual.

Chris Barton
06-04-2006, 9:01 AM
And three more...

PS: I am going to clean up the hinges, I promise!

Matt Meiser
06-04-2006, 9:06 AM
Very nice work Chris.

John Timberlake
06-04-2006, 9:37 AM
I had not noticed the grain in the top in the previous pictures. WOW! That is outstanding. Is that solid wood or matched veneers on a solid core?

Alan Turner
06-04-2006, 9:45 AM
Great job, and beautiful wood as well. I see that you used Transtint for the color. Any chance of a bit more detail on whch colors you used, etc. Did you use multiple coats, each a different tint?

Do you expect the color to change a bit as the cherry darkens, or did you pre-sun it?

Earl Kelly
06-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Chris,

Please tell me that is not an AC or heat vent right above your table!!! (edit: as in your 2nd set of pics)
If it is your top will not stay flat very long.

You have a beautiful table, something to display with pride. Looks like you did a good job with the color. I'm not one that thinks cherry should never be stained. Sometimes the right color can bring out the woods beauty even more.

You did a good job, now take care of it, no AC/heat ducts(even return air) and no direct sun, and your table will stay gorgeous for yrs.

Roger Los
06-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Wow! Just wow. Any way you look at it, it's a masterpiece.

Fred Woodward
06-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Beautiful work Chris.

Barry Bruner
06-04-2006, 5:02 PM
Looks as good as they get to me, thanks for the pics. BARRY BRUNER

Chris Barton
06-04-2006, 6:50 PM
Great job, and beautiful wood as well. I see that you used Transtint for the color. Any chance of a bit more detail on whch colors you used, etc. Did you use multiple coats, each a different tint?

Do you expect the color to change a bit as the cherry darkens, or did you pre-sun it?

Hi Alan,

I used a combination of TransTint Honey Amber, Reddish Brown and Wine Purple with the ratio being 40%, 40%, & 20% respectively. I sprayed that mixed with water then did a light sanding after it had dried and raised the grain. I then used the same ratios mixed with alcohol to spray once again. I lightly sanded with an extra fine scotch brite type synthetic sanding pad saturated with pure tung oil. After allowing to sit for 1 hour all excess was wiped off with dry paper towels and the surfaces sprayed with a 2 lb cut of Zinzer's clear shellac toned with a couple of drops of the Wine Purple TransTint. Another light sanding with the synthetic pad and a few coats of Zinzer's French Polish. Finally polished with a microcrystaline polish and wax using a surebuff pad on my big PC ROS. I would immagine that it will become darker with time and that was in the plans when I originally calculated the stain color.

Chris Barton
06-04-2006, 6:55 PM
I had not noticed the grain in the top in the previous pictures. WOW! That is outstanding. Is that solid wood or matched veneers on a solid core?

The original top (another of the tradigies) was a book matched 3/32" curly cherry piece laminated to an additional book matched pair with a layer of 1/4" quarter sawn cherry in the center. They warped badly once out of the vacuum press so this top (#2) is solid curly cherry. While not book matched, it is a fairly good match to the skirt in regards to the curl in the cherry.

Kurt Loup
06-05-2006, 2:36 PM
Chris,

The table looks great.

Kurt

Larry Cooke
06-05-2006, 3:43 PM
Chris,

Your table came out very nice, you did a great job on it! So tell me, how much do you want for it? :eek::D

Larry

Jason Tuinstra
06-05-2006, 7:55 PM
Chris, excellent job on this piece - truly fantastic. The wood choice is perfect. You should be real proud of this one.

lou sansone
06-05-2006, 8:19 PM
hi chris
did you make all of your own banding and the other fan inlays? what tools did you use to route the area out where the inlays would go?

thanks
lou

Alan Turner
06-05-2006, 8:49 PM
Hi Alan,

I used a combination of TransTint Honey Amber, Reddish Brown and Wine Purple with the ratio being 40%, 40%, & 20% respectively. I sprayed that mixed with water then did a light sanding after it had dried and raised the grain. I then used the same ratios mixed with alcohol to spray once again. I lightly sanded with an extra fine scotch brite type synthetic sanding pad saturated with pure tung oil. After allowing to sit for 1 hour all excess was wiped off with dry paper towels and the surfaces sprayed with a 2 lb cut of Zinzer's clear shellac toned with a couple of drops of the Wine Purple TransTint. Another light sanding with the synthetic pad and a few coats of Zinzer's French Polish. Finally polished with a microcrystaline polish and wax using a surebuff pad on my big PC ROS. I would immagine that it will become darker with time and that was in the plans when I originally calculated the stain color.

I think it is the wine purple that I was not knowing. I don't have that, but I suspect I will soon. Thanks. Great table, finish, and color.

Chris Barton
06-06-2006, 7:01 AM
hi chris
did you make all of your own banding and the other fan inlays? what tools did you use to route the area out where the inlays would go?

thanks
lou

Hi Lou,

While I have made my own inlays in the past I didn't make my own banding or paterae on this project, I bought them from Rockler in this case. I used a router table to band in the segment at the base of the skirt. Fir the paterae, I used a Dremel motor tool in a router base and some hand work. The banding on the legs was all done by hand using a LN carcase saw and chisel. After gluing them in I used a card scraper to bring them flush with the cherry surface.