PDA

View Full Version : Shop full of blanks!

Jim Ketron
06-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Well My shelves are running over I have Ambrosia Maple Blanks all over the shop, and I still have a pile to cut up and seal! most all of these blanks have some nice markings along with a little curl. They should make for some nice turning stock! I plan to keep some for myself and sell some on ebay to help the tool fund out a little. I will be posting a few on ebay at a time in the next few weeks. I have many large sized bowl blanks along with a few smaller ones from 20" down to 7" round:D So if any of you all are interested, my ebay ID is jkketron and you can just search for ambrosia maple to find them.
Thanks
Jim

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/100_2316.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/100_2317.jpg

Jim Becker
06-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Well, blankety-blank!!! :) Nice bit of turning stock you have there, Jim...'hope you like to turn ambrosia!

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Dang Jim if I would have known you were running short on storage space I could have rented a U-Haul when I was in Virginia and stored some for you here in Kansas.:eek: :D Looks like a good bit of turning wood there. I will be watching ebay.

Joe Tonich
06-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Whatchootawkinabout? LOOK at all that floor space. Just remember to put em on pallets.....

Dennis Peacock
06-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Hey Jim.....

How are you identifying a tree that has ambrosia??? I'd like to know if there's a way to tell the difference between a maple without and one with ambrosia.

Corey Hallagan
06-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Yup, nice stock pile Jim! You have been busy!

Corey

Jim Ketron
06-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Hey Jim.....

How are you identifying a tree that has ambrosia??? I'd like to know if there's a way to tell the difference between a maple without and one with ambrosia.

I have only found The markings in Silver Maple. Some of this wood came from my neighbors yard there was 2 trees same size about 30' appart one had lots of Ambrosia and the other one didn't have one mark!
so it's just a hit or miss thing just like finding red in Box Elder!
There is no way that I know of to tell, untill you cut the tree to see.

Michael Stafford
06-03-2006, 12:27 PM
There you go bragging again! Man gets a couple pieces of wood and has to show off.....:p Wow, Jimbo, seeing them all in one place at one time really gives you an appreciation for how much work you did! Good luck!;)

Adam Howard
06-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Nice haul, Jim.

Sent you a PM>

Curt Fuller
06-03-2006, 1:03 PM
Jim, you must be the Paul Bunyan of Virginia. You come into more pretty wood than anyone I've ever seen. Can't wait to see what comes from that stash.

Mark Cothren
06-03-2006, 2:21 PM
Now I'm no expert on blank cuttin', I'll admit... but I just gotta say that those couple of dark brown ones you have hanging on the wall seem just a little thin to me...:cool:

Nice work Jim! Hope you sell a bunch of them on e-bay! You wouldn't hurt my feelings if you posted a few of them for sale in the classifieds here on SMC so I don't have to out-snipe Travis on e-bay...:D

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-03-2006, 3:14 PM
Oy, that's a nice wood stash, Jim! Saay.... Ya gots any o'dat about 4" in diameter by about... oh... 8" long or so? :)

Wes Bischel
06-03-2006, 3:40 PM
Yowsa!

Whatcha waitin' for man! Get turnin'!!

I can imagine small people will need to stay out of the shop for a while - or be lost in all of the curls!!:eek:

Wes

Jim Ketron
06-03-2006, 5:55 PM
Oy, that's a nice wood stash, Jim! Saay.... Ya gots any o'dat about 4" in diameter by about... oh... 8" long or so? :)

I have not cut any that size but I have some cut offs that I plan to cut in the next few days I will see what I can do;) I will have lots of nice pen blanks and stopper blanks too! got to do something with those pretty cut offs I don't like to waste good wood!

John Timberlake
06-03-2006, 6:13 PM
Great looking wood. Hope to see the finished bowl soon.

George Conklin
06-03-2006, 6:58 PM
:( Ah man!!! I'd love to take you up on some blanks , but every time I get some from out of state, they crack almost instantly as soon as they get a whiff of the 0% humidity. It doesn't matter how they're sealed, they're doomed:mad:

I had a guy send me a beautiful piece of walnut. It was coated in sealer and in an air tight postal bag. Within minutes of opening the bag, the blank developed a big ol' honkin crack:mad: .

Sorry to vent. Living in the desert has some disadvantages

John Miliunas
06-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Dang, great haul, Jim! Can't speak for the chunks you sell, trade, give away or otherwise don't use but, I'm sure the "keepers" will turn into magnificent pieces!!! :) :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
06-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Nice bunch of blanks Jim. Hope you do well in he auction.

Ernie