PDA

View Full Version : XP Guru's ?

Doug Whitson
06-03-2006, 9:45 AM
Setting up the wireless network and you guessed it, my computer poped up with a log on screen asking for a password I haven't used in 3 years. don't have a clue what it is. Any one know of a way to by pass this? I've done the safe mode thing, same story. thanks in advance for any help.
Later,
Doug in AZ.

Frank Fusco
06-03-2006, 10:08 AM
If you have never entered a password, try using just 'owner'. That seems to be a sort of default password.
If you need more help, I know Phoenix has a very large computer users club. Help is available.

Frank Hagan
06-03-2006, 12:55 PM
You have several options. If you Google "windows XP password" you will get the official Microsoft site that tells you that you have to resinstall XP if you didn't make a recovery disk. But there are ways around it.

Click on any of those links from sites like Logical Expressions and you'll see how you can do it by using the original install disk of XP. Its relatively easy to do. There are also some more brute force methods, but this one works well. You use the "Repair" function of the install disk, and have to press SHIFT-F10 when Windows is "Installing Devices" during the repair process. You'll have to go to one of the sites that explains it, because IIRC this is after a reboot, and you have to initiate the reboot a certain way (IIRC you have to make sure to take the WinXP disk out of the drive or it will boot from it).

You end up with a control console that allows you to change the user passwords. Its a huge security hole, but its only available if you have the original Windows XP disk (or "recovery disk" in a Dell system).

Ian Abraham
06-03-2006, 7:04 PM
You can also search Google for a Linux boot disk that lets you reset the XP administrator password.
Once you have one, just boot your PC from that floppy, it will start up in a stripped down version of Linux, and has an option to let you reset the Administrator password to whatever you want. :)
Then reboot in XP and log in.

Thats why passwords only keep honest people out.... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Ian

Michael Cody
06-03-2006, 8:31 PM
Setting up the wireless network and you guessed it, my computer poped up with a log on screen asking for a password I haven't used in 3 years. don't have a clue what it is. Any one know of a way to by pass this? I've done the safe mode thing, same story. thanks in advance for any help.
Later,
Doug in AZ.

If it's XP and you didn't do the install.. then type in the user ID: Administrator and hit enter w/o a password. That is the default for an install of Windows XP w/o a domain name and one of the most common mistakes that basically obliterate all other attempts at security.

Doug Whitson
06-04-2006, 1:41 AM
No luck yet. Seems the computer Gods are not with me. I can't even boot from the original xp disk. The cd seems to have taken a dump. All I have left is a 3.5" floppy to boot from. This is getting old quick. Thanks for all the replys and help so far.
Later,
Doug in AZ.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-04-2006, 9:38 AM
The surest most direct method is to format, F-disk, and reinstal