PDA

View Full Version : Introduction - with shop pics

Jeff Fritzson
06-03-2006, 9:28 AM
I have been hanging around here for a while and wanted to better introduce myself as I have received a lot of great information from this forum. I just jumped back into this hobby about 18 months ago. My wife saw a Delta contractor saw on clearance and kept after me to get it. I warned her that I don't go into things halfway and she said that was not a problem.

Well 18 months later the shop is crowded with tools and the projects I have been making. I enjoy flatwork as well as turning and try to keep a balance of prjects moving forward. I find it enjoyable to turn and finish a project in order to get some additional satisfaction whlie I am waiting for glue to dry or letting wood get acclimated, etc....

My thanks again for the information and here are some pics of my refuge:

Entering into the shop from the house you can see on the left is lumber and sheet storage followed by the SCMS station I built (3rd project), power tool storage, Drill press and the back edge of the Jet Lathe. That little piece of gold on the bottom right is the Incra Table saw fence system (thanks Per.)

If you look right as you walkin, in the far corner is my sanding station. In front of the sanding station is the Sunhill 8" jointer. The sanding station has a spindel sander and a 6" x 48"/10" disc rikon combo and then the dual speed grinder from Woodcraft. You might notice an old Jet DC650 on top in the corner. I have a cylcone for the rest of the shop but the sanding station just creates so much dust that I am trying a dedicated DC to see if it helps. I picked that up a garage sale for $25 and added the cannister.

Continuing to turn right you see a removable DC drop from the cyclone (it is a quick fab connector that I can switch with a cap in orer to raise the garage door). Behind that is a drum sander, planer and band saw. You can see the edge of my solid core door bench poking out as well. All three machines are mobile to allow me to reconfigure the shop for large assembly work or finishing work.

Standing by the jointer and looking back towards the entrance you see the bench, left tilt unisaw, lumber storage and clamp rack. On the left you can also see the router table (2nd project) with Incra fence system, (yes I am pro incra.) The projects out are getting ready for sanding and clean up. A band saw box( spalted myrtle), turned ambrosia maple bowl, black walnut stained glass fan holder, and hanging nic nac shelf with drawer.

Standing in front of the bench looking down at the router table (modified version of Norm's) with 4 swivel casters. The black hose is from the shop vac underneath the table I keep handy.

Thank you for looking. I have more pics and if anyone wants more you can see them at http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f28/jfritzson/ More importantly, thank you for all the help and great information.

You may be wondering about the fact that I started with a Delta contractor saw 18 months ago. As an early birthday present, my wife said to go for the left tilt Unisaw upgrade that Amazon had a great price on about 4 weeks ago. The Unisaw, Jet Dust collector, free mobile base and the 52" commercial Beis fence. I sold the contractor saw, DC, and fence for $1000 and ended up with a unisaw upgrade for less than $400 (nicest gloat i have to date besides my wife.)

Regards,
Jeff

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-03-2006, 9:42 AM
Very nice looking shop Jeff, WELCOME!!!

And it sure does sound like you wife is a keeper!

Cheers!

Jim Becker
06-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the tour, Jeff...and for posting the pictures!

Jerry Olexa
06-03-2006, 10:24 AM
You have both a great shop and a sharp spouse. Thanks for pics..

Frank Pellow
06-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Jeff, thanks for the very well organized tour of your well laid out and well equipped shop.

You have accomplished a lot in only 18 months.

Mark Pruitt
06-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Great shop organization! Thanks for sharing.

lou sansone
06-03-2006, 12:12 PM
very nice looking shop. glad to have the opportunity to take a look at it. looks like you have a nice pile of wood there as well

best wishes
lou

Byron Trantham
06-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Very nice shop and welcome to the Creek. I think you will like it around here.

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Very nice shop Jeff. Welcome to creek.

Dave Ray
06-03-2006, 1:00 PM
Welcome to the creek Jeff, great looking shop and super pictures. You will fit right in here, great people. ;)

Don Dean
06-03-2006, 1:12 PM
Welcome to the creek! Nice looking shop; thanks for sharing and the pics.

Bruce Page
06-03-2006, 1:26 PM
Great looking shop Jeff! Nice selection of equipment too!

Curt Harms
06-03-2006, 1:47 PM
it seems to me like the wife gloat dwarfs the others, as gloatworth as they are:D

Curt

Alan Tolchinsky
06-03-2006, 3:56 PM
Jeff, That looks like a sweet place to work. Enjoy! Alan in Md.

nic obie
06-03-2006, 4:07 PM
Very nice shop, nice mix of tools too.

Tim Clark
06-03-2006, 4:09 PM
Nice shop and great looking projects.

Does she have a sister?:D

Brett Baldwin
06-03-2006, 7:45 PM
Welcome Jeff. You certainly have jumped in with both feet. Nice setup you've worked out.

Steve Clardy
06-03-2006, 8:15 PM
Nice shop tour. Thanks for sharing!!

Corey Hallagan
06-03-2006, 9:46 PM
Welcome to SMC and great shop!

Corey

Bob Childress
06-04-2006, 7:36 AM
Welcome to the Creek. You'll love it here. Nice shop and extraordinary spouse!

John Scarpa
06-04-2006, 7:12 PM
Jeff, Nice shop. Looks like you have been busy out there. Welcome to the Creek!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-04-2006, 7:50 PM
Jeff..........Welcome to the Creek! Nice shop and collection to tools! Looks well organized. Thanks for sharing!

Julio Navarro
06-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Nice shop Jeff, looks like its about the same size as mine, what oeverall size is it?

Jeff Fritzson
06-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Julio - the shop is in a fairly standard 2 car garage (20 x 22 sort of.)

Tim - she has sisters but you don't want to know about them. I definitely got the best of the three.

Thank you for the compliments. If I can only get my work up par with my tool collection I will be in great shape.

Julio Navarro
06-05-2006, 10:31 AM
I have to admit, I only looked at the pictures but went back and read your post this time as well as looked closer at the pics. I noticed your cyclone, I was wondering what brand it is and I also noticed the fire extinguisher on the drum, GREAT IDEA! I did have on observation about the fire extinguisher...the fire would probably start at the drum and if it does you might have a hard time getting to the FE.

You and I have more in common than the size of the shop. Your wife sounds like mine as well, she has been very supportive of my tool collection habit. She even boasts to her friends that she has her very own jointer, she bought it for me on HER birthday (she got a present also, of course) She and I joke about me buying so many tools and her buying so many shoes... When she gets a new pair she shows them off by wearing them and telling me to look at the newest tool she got at Home Depot.

Nice shop and will look forward to seeing your projects as they progress.

Jonathan Szczepanski
06-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Jeff -

Welcome to the Creek. Nice looking shop. The wife might be your greatest shop tool.

Jeff Fritzson
06-05-2006, 11:17 AM
The cyclone is the Oneida 3HP SUper Gorilla. I keep a fire extinguisher on each side of the garage door and another by the door to the inside of the house. I figure I want to make sure I get out of their if there is a problem.

Jason Tuinstra
06-05-2006, 7:56 PM
Jeff, nice tour around the shop. Welcome!

Chet Parks
06-06-2006, 7:59 AM
I enjoyed looking over your shop. You sure have a good selection of equipment.

I have the same 18x36 Delta drum sander that you have. I noticed that you have some nice drop down support tables mounted on either side of the drum sander. Where did you ge them? I searched the Delta site and they have nothing listed. If the came from Delta, could you please give me the part #. I could sure use a pair of those.

Thanks,

Chet Parks

Jeff Fritzson
06-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Chet,

I got those when I Ordered the sander. I am not sure of the part number. I would call Woodcraft or Rockler and ask them as they seem to be able to order them even though you cannot find them on the delta sight.

The other area you might try os on the delta website looking at their exploded diagrams. They may list them there.

Sorry I could not help more but I know Woodcraft can get them.

Regards,
Jeff