PDA

View Full Version : Book Review: Small-Production Woodworking for the Home Shop

Ned Bulken
06-03-2006, 8:33 AM
Somewhat 'inspired' by Shelley's post about marketing her transformables, I thought this review might be helpful:

A few weeks ago, I visited my folks, and I had the pleasure to receive a copy of this book. It is by Kerry Pierce, published by Popular Woodworking in 1998 ISBN 1-55870-462-0 for those interesed in the book itself

Mr Pierce travelled around the greater Ohio Valley, and visited 9 different shops , 7 gentlemen and three lady woodworkers (one husband/wife team). Each of whom earn part or all of their income from their home woodworking shops. The shops make everything from bandsaw boxes to turned jewelry, clocks to dulcimers, intarsia to fine wooden toys, fine art boxes and some clever clog-dancer carven characters. Each shop is given its own chapter, and every one has as unique a slant on our shared craft. He spent enough time with each shop to showcase their strengths, whether it be exuberant energy of the proprietor, or time management and the benefit of workstations for special tasks.
A common theme that all of the shops shared was production runs and their aid to streamlining the process of making several items. I found that enlightening, it is definitely applicable even to those of us who are not trying to make money at our craft. How many of us get repeated requests for something we make. How much more effort would it be to make several copies of that trivet, or a few cutting boards vs one at a time?

They all showed adaptability, changing their product lines as the markets change over time; One gentleman makes wooden parts for street sweepers. Not 'fine woodworking', but I bet those repeat orders sure keep the lights on nicely.
They discuss the merits of wholesale vs retail shows, as well as how to break into various markets.
Other topics touched upon were that you don't need the latest greatest gee-whiz-bang gizmo. Ingenuity went a lot further than gizmos in nearly all of the shops. Two were focused on the machining process, but as a means to the ends of creating beautiful pieces multiple times.

I enjoyed Mr Pierce's writing style, sounded a lot like the educational posts here, with very good black and white photography throughout.

I know for a fact that batch production helps, I had to make 20 or so small cutting boards recently. I glued up two at a time so that I could run them through my planer, which really was the only way I could safely plane them down to thickness.

I would recommend it to anyone who might be thinking of either making money with their shop, or simply interested in production run or woodworking in batches vs single pieces. Each and every chapter had Something which I found applicable even to my little shop to be.

I do have to get the shop constructed first though.

Frank Pellow
06-03-2006, 9:14 AM
Thanks for the review Ned.

Although I have no plans to ever produce a product, I do often make items more than once, so I expect that I could learn from this book. I will see if I can find it at our library.

James Duxbury
06-03-2006, 9:16 AM
Somewhat 'inspired' by Shelley's post about marketing her transformables, I thought this review might be helpful:

A few weeks ago, I visited my folks, and I had the pleasure to receive a copy of this book. It is by Kerry Pierce, published by Popular Woodworking in 1998 ISBN 1-55870-462-0 for those interesed in the book itself

Mr Pierce travelled around the greater Ohio Valley, and visited 9 different shops , 7 gentlemen and three lady woodworkers (one husband/wife team). Each of whom earn part or all of their income from their home woodworking shops. The shops make everything from bandsaw boxes to turned jewelry, clocks to dulcimers, intarsia to fine wooden toys, fine art boxes and some clever clog-dancer carven characters. Each shop is given its own chapter, and every one has as unique a slant on our shared craft. He spent enough time with each shop to showcase their strengths, whether it be exuberant energy of the proprietor, or time management and the benefit of workstations for special tasks.
A common theme that all of the shops shared was production runs and their aid to streamlining the process of making several items. I found that enlightening, it is definitely applicable even to those of us who are not trying to make money at our craft. How many of us get repeated requests for something we make. How much more effort would it be to make several copies of that trivet, or a few cutting boards vs one at a time?

They all showed adaptability, changing their product lines as the markets change over time; One gentleman makes wooden parts for street sweepers. Not 'fine woodworking', but I bet those repeat orders sure keep the lights on nicely.
They discuss the merits of wholesale vs retail shows, as well as how to break into various markets.
Other topics touched upon were that you don't need the latest greatest gee-whiz-bang gizmo. Ingenuity went a lot further than gizmos in nearly all of the shops. Two were focused on the machining process, but as a means to the ends of creating beautiful pieces multiple times.

I enjoyed Mr Pierce's writing style, sounded a lot like the educational posts here, with very good black and white photography throughout.

I know for a fact that batch production helps, I had to make 20 or so small cutting boards recently. I glued up two at a time so that I could run them through my planer, which really was the only way I could safely plane them down to thickness.

I would recommend it to anyone who might be thinking of either making money with their shop, or simply interested in production run or woodworking in batches vs single pieces. Each and every chapter had Something which I found applicable even to my little shop to be.

I do have to get the shop constructed first though.

Ned,

Nice Book Review! I'll have to get that one. It seems to hit the nail on the head with the production angle but I think most of us just don't like making 20 of anything---that becomes work.

Hope you get your shop done soon. Make it twice the size you think you need.

Shelley Bolster
06-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Great review Ned! Now I for one, have to get that book. Actually, I think most of us do some form of "production" woodworking already but perhaps don't know it. Anyone who has built drawers for chests/dresser/kitchen etc. have in fact, done a form of production. I am pretty sure that most don't cut the 4 sides and bottom for one - do the joinery and assembly, and then start all over from scratch with the next drawer. Instead, most will coordinate the milling, cutting, joinery and assembly of all the drawers.....hence, production. Not only needed for speed but just as importantly, accuracy, different methods of production are pretty much necessary in most shops.

You are so right about the times when we all wished we made more of certain items instead of having to go back and repeat the process from scratch, so I couldn't agree with you more. A person doesn't need to be woodworking as a business to benefit from the knowledge of these pros. Thanks for the heads up Ned.

Ned Bulken
06-03-2006, 2:41 PM
You're all quite welcome. I hope it is still available. The Book Barn where my mother found it is one of those surplus sales places, they buy up publishers' over-runs and sell them for pennies on the dollar. Sell enough of them and you have a pretty darned nice business.

I checked and amazon does list it as available for those so inclined.