PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Phoenix-WW or not

Tony Sade
06-03-2006, 7:11 AM
I'll be in Phoenix for a week on business, with a fair amount of free time on my hands (two full days-not in a row-and part of two others). So far, I've got on the list a D-backs/Giants game (boo Barry!), St. James Bay Tool Co., the Heard museum, Taliesin West, Sedona, maybe the Grand Canyon, a trip to the Apple Store to check out one of the new Macbooks for my soon off to college kid (no stores even close to home), and a couple I can't remember at the moment.

Any other must see suggestions? I especially love good food that someone else makes and pays for:D so restaurant suggestions would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug Whitson
06-03-2006, 9:41 AM
The FLW "compound" is a nice little diversion, don't cheap out, get the grand tour, you will be glad you did.
Later,
Doug in AZ.

Keith Cope
06-03-2006, 9:50 AM
Tony,
I just got back from a week in Phoenix--it's getting rather warm, you definitely won't need to pack a coat! I'll cast my vote for the Taliesin West visit as well. You might check out Arcosanti (that's on my list but I have not yet been). If you are into plants/gardening there's the desert botanical garden. Regarding restaurants, there are a lot-what are your preferences? And what area will you be in?

Don Baer
06-03-2006, 12:17 PM
If you want to look at some wood I check out Chandler Hardwoods. There a litle hard to find but they have a whole lot of Misquite. They have a yard full of logs that they are milling up and they will ship it for ya.
Nice folks who own it. There just south of the Chandler airport on Adams. Off of queen creek Blvd. A little hard to find but worth the effort.

There's a map on there web site as to how to find em. WWW.Chandlerhardwood.com (http://www.Chandlerhardwood.com)

Frank Hagan
06-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Phoenix might be hot. I would stay close to AC this time of year! I'm a coastal person, and don't like the heat, so I've never been a fan of Phoenix.

The Grand Canyon is quite a ways north of Phoenix, about 200 miles IIRC, so it would be a long day trip for you. Figure 4 hours to get there. The drive is not too bad, and you get to see Flagstaff, a mountain town that is everything Phoenix is not. But you won't see much of the Grand Canyon by the time you get in and out.

Joe Pelonio
06-03-2006, 12:53 PM
We had friends living there and visited a few times, most of the best restaurants were in nearby Scottsdale. Our favorite was Garcia's Mexican on Camelback.