PDA

View Full Version : Lumber air drying

Howard Pollack
09-08-2003, 11:33 PM
I purchased a few 5/4 walnut boards about 16"wide from a local mill. They[ve been stacked and stickered in a covered shed for about 2 years. How do I know when they are dry enough for cabinetry? Thanks.
-Howard

Paul D. May
09-09-2003, 7:37 AM
I purchased a few 5/4 walnut boards about 16"wide from a local mill. They[ve been stacked and stickered in a covered shed for about 2 years. How do I know when they are dry enough for cabinetry? Thanks.
-Howard

Howard,

My guess is that the stock is dry if they have been stickered for two years. Short of using a moisture meter, I would just use it...

Paul

Ken Salisbury
09-09-2003, 8:10 AM
-Howard

The basic rule of thumb for air drying lumber is one year/inch thickness. What you have should be fine. If in doubt buy a mositure meter to check. I have a Mini Lignomat which is great - sells for roughly $100.00

Todd Burch
09-09-2003, 8:28 AM
You can lay out your parts on the boards and cut them oversize and let them sit around the shop for while. Depending on the conditions the boards have been exposed to for the last 2 years, they may be dry and may not be dry. Get a moisture meter is my suggestion, and find out what the EMC (equilibrium moisture content) is for your area.

Jim Becker
09-09-2003, 9:10 AM
The basic rule of thumb for air drying lumber is one year/inch thickness. What you have should be fine. If in doubt buy a mositure meter to check. I have a Mini Lignomat which is great - sells for roughly $100.00

The "rule of thumb" is fine as an estimate, but is very species and climate dependant. Some wood will dry in as quick as 4-6 months per inch while others can take as long as 2 years per inch.

I too, recommend a moisture meter be in every woodworker's arsenal, not only for this kind of situation, but to insure that all the components going into a project are at the same relative MC before beginning work. The Mini Ligno is an excellent tool for an excellent price, too.

As to Walnut, it doesn't dry quickly, but is a very stable wood. It shouldn't be a big problem using it "now", but again, I'd check it. My walnut that was cut in August of 2000 is now just becoming usable after two years of outdoor drying and not quite a year in the rack of my shop.

Howard Pollack
09-09-2003, 1:57 PM
You can lay out your parts on the boards and cut them oversize and let them sit around the shop for while. Depending on the conditions the boards have been exposed to for the last 2 years, they may be dry and may not be dry. Get a moisture meter is my suggestion, and find out what the EMC (equilibrium moisture content) is for your area.
Todd- Where would I find such information? Thanks -Howard

Todd Burch
09-09-2003, 8:01 PM
Howard, see this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=3514

I looked again for the U.S. EMC chart, but still couldn't find it. I put a call into Dr. Brian Goode with Virginia Tech, but he's out of the country for a few more days. If he calls me back, I'll post that info too.

Basically, figure out what your average realive humidity is, and apply it to the charts. You could also call a lumber yard out in the Bay area or a bigger cabinet shop too.