PDA

View Full Version : some nice rare curly purpleheart

Steve knight
06-03-2006, 2:51 AM
I have found curly purpleheart but it does not usually have even curl and it is in the lighter less dense turns brown purpleheart. The stuff I get is denser and stays purple even after you cut it. It can have a little figure randomly. But this is full curl and it is actually denser and harder then my usual stuff (did not think it was possible) plus the stuff stinks and purpleheart has never stunk before.

http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/curlypurpleheart2.JPG

Jim King
06-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Steve: There are two ways to get curly purple heart that work the majority of the time. First is to saw a crooked log and the second is to mount a log as crooked as possible on the mill. One of the few woods that this system works well on.

Jim Becker
06-03-2006, 10:23 AM
That's really interesting stuff, Steve. Good think you know a great source for hand planes that can work that curl...... :D

Frank Fusco
06-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Very unique. It looks like purple stained curly maple.

Steve knight
06-03-2006, 1:00 PM
That's really interesting stuff, Steve. Good think you know a great source for hand planes that can work that curl...... :D
if it is like my regular purpleheart it might be close to impossible to plane. but I am not sure it seems a bit different. but I find that the larger the plane the better the wood shows. so it's a waste to make al title plane from it.

Steve knight
06-03-2006, 1:02 PM
Very unique. It looks like purple stained curly maple.
yes thats a good description. it is pretty odd. I should go see if I can get anotehr board of it. the place I got it is way overpriced on wood. they charged me about 8.00 a bf for 8/4 purpleheart my normal store is 3.50 but with the curl I am not complaining.

Corey Hallagan
06-03-2006, 6:21 PM
Wow, congrats on some beautiful wood!

Corey