PDA

View Full Version : Cutter heads

Paul B. Cresti
06-02-2006, 11:27 PM
So some of us have talked about cutter heads in the past. I thought I would provide this link to a very interesting one

http://www.casadeimacchine.com/cgi/news.html?nome_file=HC_uk-us.htm&lingua=us

lou sansone
06-03-2006, 8:57 AM
hi paul
nice link

I would love to have on in my r63 casadei planer. But I am sure the cost is going to be pretty steep

lou

Paul B. Cresti
06-03-2006, 9:33 AM
Lou,
Yes that sure is an interesting cutter head. I can not figure out if it has a long knife or not. I have also seen Schdmit makes a cutter head called SCHurecut helical but it uses the little insert knives. I can not seem to find it right now but there was another compnay out there advertising a helical head....it was in Wood Digest I think as one of the American woodworking manufactures left...

Jim Becker
06-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Interesting. I think you need to check it out further, Paul! :)

Jim King
06-03-2006, 3:11 PM
When my partners sent me this

http://www.canadianwoodworker.com/product_detail.cfm?category=Thickness%20Planers&id=19

http://www.byrdtool.com/journals.html The head itself

I thought they were crazy. Not anymore. S2S 40,000 feet of bloodwood and never sharpen or touch the blades. Glass finish.

Jeff Singleton
06-03-2006, 3:45 PM
That is one neat looking head but like Lou mentioned the price is probably to high. The add did say very low knife cost so it must be a segmented knife. Newman-Whitney has made their Quiet-Cut head for decades and it is a big hit for mills. Solid carbide knives, segmented. The smallest dia. they make is 6" and it was never meant to be finish head. Knives are sharpened in the head, even new knives are sharpened before being used. The last price I heard was 6k for the head and 6k for the grinder and you can't use the head without the grinder. It's a working set or team and one won't work without the other. One can only hope the Cas. head is reasonably priced.

Jeff Singleton:rolleyes:

Paul B. Cresti
06-04-2006, 6:00 PM
Guys i found the other company I was talking about. They too seem to be offering a helical head. It is called "Helicarb" by Great Lakes Custom Tool MFG, Inc.

www.glct.com

I have attached a jpg of the add from a WMMA advertisement of All American Tool manuf.

Mike Palmer
07-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Paul, I just stumble across this post. I have one of these cutterheads on my Casadei FS51 Jointer/Planer. The design consists of two long knives that are disposable. The knives curl around the cutterhead similiar to a spiral router bit. The cut quality is unbelievable because the knife is shearing the wood. Another advantage is it is very quiet compared to a straight knife. To set the knives is pretty quick. You loosen the gib and push the new blade into the groove until it bottoms out in the cutter head. Takes only 15-20 minutes to change.

Paul B. Cresti
07-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Paul, I just stumble across this post. I have one of these cutterheads on my Casadei FS51 Jointer/Planer. The design consists of two long knives that are disposable. The knives curl around the cutterhead similiar to a spiral router bit. The cut quality is unbelievable because the knife is shearing the wood. Another advantage is it is very quiet compared to a straight knife. To set the knives is pretty quick. You loosen the gib and push the new blade into the groove until it bottoms out in the cutter head. Takes only 15-20 minutes to change.

Please post some pics of your Casadei and the cutter head! How do you insert a curved knife? I assume it is not flexible?? Do you need to set the top of the knife similar to straight knives? or is it just placed to it furthestmost bottom extent?

Mike Palmer
07-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Please post some pics of your Casadei and the cutter head! How do you insert a curved knife? I assume it is not flexible?? Do you need to set the top of the knife similar to straight knives? or is it just placed to it furthestmost bottom extent?

Paul I will get you some pictures later. The knives are flexible. The dimension of the knives are approx 1/16" thick by 3/8 tall by about 20-22" long. You just tap them in with a rubber mallet untill they bottom out in a groove. That's it. The height is predetermined by the blade once it is seated. As I begin tightening the gib, I usually tap as I tighten to insure that the blade is properly seated. I am not sure what the blades are made of but they last a long time even cutting exotic wood.

Mike Palmer
07-07-2006, 4:44 PM
Paul, attached are pictures of the machine from different angles.

Mike Palmer
07-07-2006, 4:46 PM
Here is a few more.

lou sansone
07-07-2006, 8:27 PM
nice machine - what vintage do you think it is?

lou

Mike Palmer
07-07-2006, 11:22 PM
nice machine - what vintage do you think it is?

lou

Lou, I am not sure of the exact year but I think it is in the 1985-1990 vintage. It was owned by a one man shop in PA. and I purchased it in 2002. I was told the previous owner was the original. It has been a great machine very solid and very heavy.

Paul B. Cresti
07-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Mike,
What a beast.... is it able to do horizontal mortising also? I especially like the country of origin. Those knives look real interesting. It is a (2) cutter head correct? Where do you get your knives at and roughly how much? Oh before I forget...

FORZA AZZURRI!!!!!!

Mike Palmer
07-08-2006, 12:37 AM
Mike,
What a beast.... is it able to do horizontal mortising also? I especially like the country of origin. Those knives look real interesting. It is a (2) cutter head correct? Where do you get your knives at and roughly how much? Oh before I forget...

FORZA AZZURRI!!!!!!

Paul, I do not have the mortising attachment but I believe it was an option. Yes it only has two blades but one of the two blades is always in contact with the wood at all times. The blades come from a Casadei dealer. The last time I purchased, I got them from a dealer in Canada. For 10 blades (5 sets), the cost was about 400 for the premium blades.

lou sansone
07-08-2006, 6:36 AM
Lou, I am not sure of the exact year but I think it is in the 1985-1990 vintage. It was owned by a one man shop in PA. and I purchased it in 2002. I was told the previous owner was the original. It has been a great machine very solid and very heavy.

That is what I figured. My casadei rc63 is a little earlier ( ~ 1982) but seems to have similar features. Casadei is an interesting company, in that they seem to keep the same design around for 20+ years without making any real changes. I had looked at one of their sliding TS a while back and was very disapointed with its design. But machines like the JP and the planer I have are very well designed, even in 2006.

lou

Mike Palmer
07-08-2006, 8:41 AM
That is what I figured. My casadei rc63 is a little earlier ( ~ 1982) but seems to have similar features. Casadei is an interesting company, in that they seem to keep the same design around for 20+ years without making any real changes. I had looked at one of their sliding TS a while back and was very disapointed with its design. But machines like the JP and the planer I have are very well designed, even in 2006.

lou
You are right Lou. Many of their designs are the same today with some cosmetic changes. I wish there was more dealers importing the Euro stuff because they make really good machines. Riebling Machinery is the current US dealer but they only import some of the product line. I am not familiar with the Casadei sliders. I guess every company has their specialty.