PDA

View Full Version : Laser engraving pens

Keith Bragg
06-02-2006, 6:33 PM
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Hi Folks

I'm relatively new to this site but have found it very informative so far and very addictive when looking for information.Anyhow my question to those laser engravers out there is I am looking for a jig ready made or self made that I can engrave multiple pens on I have done web searches on the subject to no end and not found anything. Any help out there on this would be appreciated I'm doing them one at a time at the moment not the greatest in way to be efficient. I have a Legend 24TT engraver 45watt 12x24 bed if that helps any one.

Thanks Keith Bragg
<!-- / message -->

George M. Perzel
06-02-2006, 6:42 PM
Hi Keith;
There are many ways to do this- here's a jig to cut out of ply or plastic or cardboard or whatever-accomodates both sides of a pen. Adjust to fit your requirements and control D copy to expand in Corel.
Good Luck
george

Keith Bragg
06-02-2006, 6:59 PM
Thanks George

I will give it a try and let you know how it works out for me.

Keith Bragg:D

Keith Bragg
06-02-2006, 7:19 PM
Hi George
:confused: which version of corel is the file I am having trouble opening the file.

Thanks Keith

George M. Perzel
06-03-2006, 6:50 AM
Hi Keith;
That was version 13 (X3). here's one in v12.
George

Keith Bragg
06-03-2006, 7:26 AM
George I am using 11 will it make a difference should have said that earlier because I can not open that either. Sorry for any inconvenience I do appreciate your patients with me. Also how do you like x3 I have been pondering the idea of a upgrade but a little unsure in doing so, I was curious about the vectoring part of the program I have read good things about it but not sure any thoughts.

Thanks Again
Keith

George M. Perzel
06-03-2006, 8:45 AM
Hi Keith;
OK-here it is in 11. I like X3 so far-not too big a change from 12 but that was a significant chnage from 11.
george

Keith Bragg
06-04-2006, 7:08 AM
Hi George

I got that to open no problem I am going to try it today,Thanks for the help.

Keith Bragg

Mike Null
07-23-2006, 9:56 PM
As a recent member of the forum I'm catching up on my reading and thought I may have an idea for you.

I take a straight and flat piece of 3/4" wood (any variety) and cut v grooves the length of the piece with my router and chamferring bit. I make these on both sides of the wood. One side for thinline pens and the other for the larger diameter pens. Make as many grooves as you think you'll need. Then laser mark lines on the jig where you'll place the band of the pens. Then use dowels to set up your engraving positions and save the file in Corel.

The v grooves should be just deep enough to permit the pen clip to be parallel with the jig. Then engraving area will then be perpendicular to the table.

A personal preference is to keep the font size realtively small--not larger than 12 pt. so that the engraving doesn't detract from the pen.

Keith Bragg
07-24-2006, 4:13 AM
Thanks Mike

This site is just great, Everyone is so helpful it just amazes me still.Not being much of a wood worker though I do not have many of the tools you mentioned I will enlist a good friend that is thought and go from there. The jig that George sent me works very good what a help any thing beats one at a time like I was doing.

Thanks for the input

Keith Bragg