PDA

View Full Version : Opening DXF files in X3, problem

Mitchell Andrus
06-02-2006, 4:10 PM
I received a CD with some commercially available Autocad R2000 and R13 files, DXF format. I import the files, but get only about 1/3 of the graphics that I'm expecting. These are line drawings on several layers. only one layer is showing up.

Any ideas? Maybe a conversion program? I thought X3 was OK with DXF stuff...

Mitch

Lee DeRaud
06-02-2006, 4:13 PM
See if they'll import into one of the cheap CAD packages (e.g. DesignCAD) and either merge the layers or export each layer as a separate DXF?

Abdul Baseer Hai
06-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Mitch

I had a similar problem a whoile ago.
Corel somehow is not very friendly with newer versions of Autocad. Ask your customer to save the DXF files in Autocad version 2000. ( I believe autocad has the "SAVE AS" option.

This procedure solved the problem for me. I receive highly technical files with precise measurements without a problem.

Abdul

Mitchell Andrus
06-03-2006, 10:56 AM
The CD has both R13 and R2000 versions. They open the same, about 1/3 of the info comes through.

I'm awaiting a response from the sender.

Mitch

Jim A. Walters
06-03-2006, 11:13 AM
I import dxf's often. Layers in AutoCAD seem to be an issue with Corel. The drawings I receive have an entire machine on them, but the only viewable layers are the legend plates I need to cut. My customer either turns off the other layers, or hides them.

I am luck to have a 17 year old son that is taking engineering at his high school. I have the latest version of AutoCAD Inventor, and Mechanical Desktop in the academic version for him. If you are a student, or have a student in your household, it is $149 per year from academicsuperstores.com.