PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1442

Scott Donley
06-02-2006, 3:40 PM
Ok, here's my problem, (one of many) I have wanted to upgrade my old, 1950 CM lathe, its that vortex thing. Being an old retired guy with a small pension and no bills I have a tendency to watch my money so I need to find a really good deal. We have a Jet tool surplus store here and I had told the owner about 6 mo. ago that if he ever gets a 1442 in to let me know, well, he just called, 650.00 for a 1442 with the legs + tax. ? is, is this a good deal ? Someone please say yes so I can quit looking for a year or two. Looking for your input, Thanks
This is what I have been using, 9 inch swing and 650 rpm as slow as it goes.

Larry Crim
06-02-2006, 5:27 PM
I'd say yes thats just about what I paid for mine and have not regreted it once.
larry

Vaughn McMillan
06-02-2006, 5:30 PM
Scott, I'm certainly no expert, but a quick search of the Internet shows that model selling for about $625 to $650 used, and about $1000 new. If the one at your local store is new (or nearly new) with a warranty, is seems like a good deal to me. Like I said, I'm no expert, but surely some of the others here will add their opinions.

- Vaughn

Scott Donley
06-02-2006, 6:08 PM
Scott, I'm certainly no expert, but a quick search of the Internet shows that model selling for about $625 to $650 used, and about $1000 new. If the one at your local store is new (or nearly new) with a warranty, is seems like a good deal to me. Like I said, I'm no expert, but surely some of the others here will add their opinions.

- VaughnYes it is considerd new with Jet warranty, I have seen it as low as 800 one time on Amazon and almost bought it, but, did I tell ya , I have a really hard time spending money :eek:

Corey Hallagan
06-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Scott, sounds like a good deal to me. Let us know what yah decide. What's that loud sucking noise...... oh no... hang on to your CMAN... the vortex is getting all charged up....this one might be rated a V-7 :)

corey

Barry Stratton
06-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Someone please say yes so I can quit looking for a year or two.

YES. So have you bought it yet?

John Timberlake
06-03-2006, 8:16 AM
Buy it! I have the Jet 1442 and have been please. I have made four poster beds with 4" x 42" pieces (I got the 20" bed extension), 14" diameter bowls, and pens. Works well. I also like the rotating head because it makes it easier to get to the inside of a bowl after it is trued up. And $650 is a great price as long as it is not damaged in the moving parts.

Scott Donley
06-03-2006, 11:16 AM
YES. So have you bought it yet?Well, now that you put it that way, how could I not get it :D And Corey, not surprised you could hear the sucking sound in Iowa. Guess this kind of blows the beer budget and the dog will have to go on a diet. Thanks to all for the input, now I can blame you all when I tell my daughter she has to pay for her last year of school :rolleyes: Now have to find a shorter tool rest, smaller face plate, pen mandrel, 60 deg live center and chuck :(
Thanks again ! (I think)

Corey Hallagan
06-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Congrats Scott!! Photos!! Photos!! :D

Corey

Scott Donley
06-03-2006, 1:49 PM
Well, just got back, going to take me a day or two to make some room for it and figure out how to unload it. For an old guy with a bad shoulder it will not be easy :o This will have to please the pic police for the time being :D I'm Happy !

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2006, 2:56 PM
Congrats on the new lathe Scott. Yep those accessories sure do suck the stuffings out of a mans wallet.:mad: Even with all the wind in Kansas I heard that big sucking sound.:eek: :D

Barry Stratton
06-03-2006, 3:15 PM
ALL RIGHT SCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clear and sunny here today, must be the sucking vortex grabbed all out clouds! Congrats on the new lathe and all the soon to be purchased goodies!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-03-2006, 3:42 PM
You know......a couple of things just dawned on me......1. Andy won't like the brand but will like the mayo color.........and 2. The vortex is just like my wife planning a vacation. You start out going to place "X".....and a few weeks later it's....."well place "X" is close to ........and a few weeks later "place Y" is close to "place Z"...while we're enroute to "place X"......that's the way the Abyss is .......the lathe.....while it's the most expensive single item.........it's just the start of something that will never end. Financing, I'm sure, is available!:eek: :D

Congrats on the new lathe! You'll enjoy it, I'm sure!

Corey Hallagan
06-03-2006, 3:56 PM
Nice.... Scott! Congrats I am sure you will enjoy your new purchase, even if you have to chew on baloney for awhile :)

Corey

John Timberlake
06-03-2006, 3:58 PM
Well, just got back, going to take me a day or two to make some room for it and figure out how to unload it. For an old guy with a bad shoulder it will not be easy :o This will have to please the pic police for the time being :D I'm Happy !

Congratulations. I got mine into the basement by myself by taking the headstock, tailstock off the bed. The head stock was the most awkward piece to carry. Better if you can get a couple of teenagers to do it for you. Enjoy.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-03-2006, 5:33 PM
Scott: Have some fun with that lathe! Congratulations on getting a great deal!

Ken:

the lathe.....while it's the most expensive single item 'Shyaa, right! :) The least expensive jaw chucks I've seen on Woodcraft which would fit my lathe are at least as expensive as the lathe itself! :)

John Miliunas
06-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Scott, congrats on the new spinny thing!!! Quite the improvement over the old CM! :) As for accessories, check out the new Nove G3 chuck. It's keyed and would be a super match-up for that lathe! Oh, and I'll bet you can get a few bucks to offset the additional expenses by selling the old one! Still a great "starter" lathe for someone! :) :cool:

Scott Donley
06-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all the congrat's. My vortex started with this forum then made the " mistake" of saying some thing about turning to a neighbor who just happened to have an old . CM lathe buried in his garage. Being "FREE" and all I figured I could afford to spend a "COUPLE" of bucks to get it working. Little did I know ! after hours of wire brushing I could see I needed a few things :) Like a motor, spur and tail centers, face plate, 2X4's for a stand, and a few cheap tools.Then came the Bright Idea to try pens, needed a "FEW" things. A mandrel, bushings, o" don't forget polish, finer sand paper, you know, all the "STUFF". Then came the new grinder, the jig, a few more tools.Now comes the new lathe and of course it is a MT2 and the CM was MT1, so now I get to replace most the stuff I bought for the CM. Will it ever end :confused:
I guess I better thank my neighbor again for the FREE lathe :)
PS- anybody know where I can get a new chuck :)
PS- anybody know what is supposed to go in the small threaded whole on top of the headstock on the 1442, it's driving me nuts !
PS- all this just so I can make a big mess and destroy perfectly good wood :)

David Fried
06-04-2006, 2:42 PM
PS- anybody know what is supposed to go in the small threaded whole on top of the headstock on the 1442, it's driving me nuts !

I saw one on display once and I think that was where the optional safety guard attached. (That thing that looks like a bird cage!)

George Conklin
06-04-2006, 2:46 PM
Will it ever end :confused:

Now that's rich!;)

Way to go, Scott. Good choice and a good buy!

I'm with John M. on the choosing a G3 chuck. They seem to be a great value.