PDA

View Full Version : Is spalted wood food safe?

Wayne Kuhn
06-02-2006, 11:44 AM
According to my know it all brother spalted wood is not food safe due to the fungus in the wood. I have never heard about this issue one way or t'other, so I couldn't argue with him. I know all finishes are food safe once cured. My thoughts are the spalting is sealed by the finish.
Have any of you guys/gals pondered this question?

Mark Cothren
06-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Well, I'm not sure... but I wouldn't eat any of it myself... ;)

Actually, I've always heard, read and been told that it is best not to use spalted wood for food. The finish that seals it will only "seal" for so long, right?

Gary Max
06-02-2006, 1:31 PM
Then there's always the thought-----hit him in the head with the bowl.
Giving a woodworker a hard time can be bad for your health.

Rich Stewart
06-02-2006, 2:19 PM
Couldn't be any worse for you than 'partially hydroginated vegetable oil' or 'High fructose corn syrup'. Thats the stuff that'll kill ya.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-02-2006, 2:59 PM
Let's see...

Mushrooms...
Bleu cheese...
Aged beef...

What's a little spalting in the wine added to that, I wonder? :)

Jim Becker
06-02-2006, 3:17 PM
Unless you plan on feeding the piece to someone, I don't think you'll have an issue. Working with spalted material, however, does require good personal dust protection...just like any other material you may turn or cut.

Jim Hinze
06-02-2006, 3:21 PM
I have always heard (no real proof) that you really have know way of knowing what fungus caused the spalting, you can never be too sure of it's reaction in a human when food comes in contact with it (e.g. allergic reaction, sickness, etc).

For what it's worth, It's probably better to be safe and if it's intended on comming in contact with food to not use spalted wood...

Bernie Weishapl
06-02-2006, 3:57 PM
I have heard and been told never use spalted wood for food especially if you are selling the piece. Me myself I wouldn't take a chance.

Bill Grumbine
06-05-2006, 5:34 PM
Wayne, our main salad bowl, which we have been using for about four years now, is made of spalted maple. The finish is nothing, other than some salad dressing that may have soaked in from time to time. No one has suffered any ill effects of which we are aware, although I do have more hair on my back now than I did then. :eek:

To the best of my knowledge, the main danger in spalted wood is from breathing the dust. We eat and drink lots worse things at the various restaurants we stop in from time to time I think. :D

Bill