PDA

View Full Version : Keep your wood at home!!!

Rob Bodenschatz
06-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I found this interesting:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/14720097.htm

Here's the text of the article:
Pa. asks out-of-state campers not to bring wood

<!-- begin body-content --> HARRISBURG - Seeking to avoid an invasion of beetles that have wreaked havoc in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and Ontario forests, natural resources officials are asking out-of-state campers who visit Pennsylvania campgrounds to leave their firewood at home.
"We want campers to obtain firewood locally and not transport it into our state parks and forest lands," Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Secretary Michael DiBerardinis said.
Officials fear that wood brought in from other states could be harboring the small metallic green bug called the emerald ash borer, which feeds on tissues under the bark of ash trees. In Michigan, where the Asian import was first discovered in 2002, the bugs have destroyed more than 10 million trees.
Other states have already cracked down on campers hauling wood into parks. Indiana officials seize and burn firewood from infected areas, and Wisconsin and South Dakota ban out-of-state firewood outright. For now, Pennsylvania officials are asking people not to bring firewood into the state, and those who do so are asked to burn it quickly. -

Kyle Kraft
06-02-2006, 1:17 PM
Rob,

Being from the area of Michigan affected by the Emerald Ash Borer I can attest to the devastation this imported critter is doing. It is a shame to see these huge ash logs being chipped and destroyed. If I had the financial wherewithal I would invest in a semi mounted log peeler and try to salvage the logs. Only the sapwood is infested with this pest, and it seems to me if a feller took an extra heavy cut with a debarker he might get down below the infested area and into a sawable material. Sure would beat the landfill.

If you are suspected of attempting to transport ANY firewood across the Mackinac Bridge and indeed are caught with said firewood you will be arrested, fine, and jailed, usually in that order.

Kyle in K'zoo