PDA

View Full Version : The "EH" Train

Ben Knebel
09-08-2003, 9:47 PM
Some of our customers have asked us to do some custom work for them--these planes are quite nice and I thought I'd share them with you.

The one at the extreme right is smoother with African Blackwood infill and genuine Brazilian Rosewood tote.

The smoother at the far left has brown Brazilian Rosewood infill and red Brazilian tote.

Regards
Ben

Ben Knebel
09-08-2003, 9:49 PM
The chariot in th middle is done in blackwood as well.
Regards
Ben

Lloyd Robins
09-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Beautiful! Lucky customers.

Bert Johansen
09-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Ben,

Those are spectacular planes. I'll be they are as good in use as they are to look at. Thanks for sharing these with us.

Bert

Doug Evans
09-09-2003, 12:53 AM
I think Ben wanted to cry when they left the shop. The throats are about 0.001" in all cases. Ben said that we might have to open the throat a little on the chariot.

It's a relatively big development time for us right now. The saw steel came in and we will be making up first protos. Steel sidewalls for the Norris A6 and a second run at the rear tote. Dragon Panel... Rob Morris started on the new thumb plane tonight... his new milling machine is a dream! All the other sizes (other than #4) of the A2 Stanley Bench Plane Irons will be run... We start into the bronze sidewall planes tomorrow afternoon... We get into the 20 1/2" Jointer 3rd Wood Operation on Saturday... Yeah... it's relatively big...

How come nobody's talking about LFOD?

Regards,

Doug

Dave Anderson NH
09-09-2003, 9:06 AM
Of the three, the chariot piques my interest the most. As for your prototypes, I'm looking forward to nosing around at the Shepherd "factory" when I'm up there for the Neander Meander at the beginning of October. By the way Doug and Ben, my Spiers cocobolo infill smoother kit was waiting for me last nite when I got home. Thanks!!

Live Free or Die was a good auction for both Roger Myers and I and we have the empty wallets to prove it. I got a nice Kellogg beech plow plane with handle and boxwood screw arms and nuts. I'm pleased as it was in great condition. I also bought 4 complex molding planes mostly of various ogee styles and sizes. A jewelers fret saw and a brass and rosewood bevel gage rounded out the assortment. I'll let Roger talk about his haul except to say I don't think he'll ever need any more bevel gages- He's cornered the market.

Roger Myers
09-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Live Free or Die was a good auction for both Roger Myers and I and we have the empty wallets to prove it. I'll let Roger talk about his haul except to say I don't think he'll ever need any more bevel gages- He's cornered the market.
Dave exagerates just a bit...along with some nice bead planes, a scrub, a bullnose, a rabbet, and assorted other goodies, some 9 bevel gages in assorted sizes did follow me home to add to several others already taking up residence in the shop...but it's nice to be able to have several set to the required angles during a project (assuming you don't grab the wrong one in error DAMHIKT) Was a nice way to spend the day!

Now, hoping my shoulder plane kit will be waiting for me when I get home today!

Ben Knebel
09-09-2003, 2:22 PM
A couple of folks have asked for a closeup of the Blackwood Smoother--you can see it at this link.

http://www.shepherdtool.com/SEPT%20OCT%202003%20NEWSLETTER%20benknebel%20joine d%20The%20Eh%20Train%20Posting.htm
Regards
Ben

Ben Knebel
09-09-2003, 2:24 PM
I'll try something else later.
Regards
Ben

Ben Knebel
09-09-2003, 2:34 PM
Here she is--resized to fit here.
Regards
Ben

Roger Myers
09-09-2003, 6:22 PM
Shoulder plane kit arrived today, in excellent shape, with detailed instructions....Can't wait to tackle this project with Doug & Ben's excellent guidance...

Oh yeah, the "unfair" part...also included was a CD with supplemental photos and drawings, and, a folder on the CD of "other" products...
There must be some restrictions against this sort of unfair advertsining, I mean, the check just had time to clear from my last purchase, and now I have all of these images staring me in the face...of course, I've seen them on your web site, but then I could just click the mouse and they would go away...now their on a CD in my computer, far too easy to access...Doug, Ben, give a guy a break here! :D

Ben Knebel
09-09-2003, 7:56 PM
We work hard on the drool factor Roger lest we be forgotten.
Regards
Ben

BuLLdoGG
09-10-2003, 8:23 PM
These planes look The Biz your customer will be pleased

Doug Evans
09-14-2003, 1:10 AM
Shoulder plane kit arrived today, in excellent shape, with detailed instructions....Can't wait to tackle this project with Doug & Ben's excellent guidance...

Oh yeah, the "unfair" part...also included was a CD with supplemental photos and drawings, and, a folder on the CD of "other" products...
There must be some restrictions against this sort of unfair advertsining, I mean, the check just had time to clear from my last purchase, and now I have all of these images staring me in the face...of course, I've seen them on your web site, but then I could just click the mouse and they would go away...now their on a CD in my computer, far too easy to access...Doug, Ben, give a guy a break here! :D

Wait until you see tomorrows pictures... this is not a slippery slope... this is helicopter skiing in avalanche season...

Regards,

Doug