PDA

View Full Version : New Digs

Douglas Robinson
06-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Well we closed on our new house in Raleigh, NC this week. We will be moving in August 1. I will be going from a basement shop in VA to a garage shop in NC. I will take before pics when we get there, and then progress pics as I go. I only get a single stall in the garage.:(

A freind down there in a licensed electrician and in exchange for building him some built-ins, he is going to help wire the shop. I have to move a house vacuum system and some phone lines to make it all work.

The eletrical panels are already in the shop. From the discussions here I have decided to put an AC unit in the wall between the shop an the rest of the garage. That way I wont run afoul of the Home Owners association or block any of the natural light coming in the two windows. (Thanks Al for the idea). I have to check out the garage door and seal it better if needed.

Wish me luck!

Doug in NC (soon)

Jerry Strojny
06-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Starting a new shop is always a fun project!! Good luck with the move and the shop. Would love to see the progess pics as you go along.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi Doug, Congrats on your closing; I know that must be of some relief to get that over with. I'll PM you in a minute. Alan

Tim Burke
06-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Congrats on the move. My son now lives in Raleigh. Very nice area (and much better weather than the Midwest!), lots of woodworking resources. Enjoy!

Tim

lou sansone
06-02-2006, 12:41 PM
congrats and we will be waiting for the photos

lou

Brian Triplett
06-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Doug welcome to the area, just bring your paste wax or whatever you use to cover your steel, the humidity is rising quickly around here. Is your garage a one car or two?

Douglas Robinson
06-02-2006, 1:14 PM
The garage is a three stall garage, but I only get to use the third stall. I will install a wall between it and the other two and will add AC. I started a thread about AC in the shop for just that reason. I plan on paneling the walls (which thankfully are 11.6' high) and adding cabinets using wall cleats.

Doug

Mike Wilkins
06-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Welcome to the area Doug. I'm sure you are happy to leave the N. Va. area and the congestion/traffic/expense. I temporarily worked in the Fairfax area and its no picnic. You will find a big woodworking following in the RDU area, some woodworking clubs, and some fine retail establishments for the purchase of all your woodworking tools/toys/ supplies/wood.
Welcome and enjoy. And you will need the A/C very soon.