PDA

View Full Version : Router bits....MLCS?

Rob Bourgeois
09-08-2003, 9:44 PM
Any one use MLCS router bits. I just received a catolog from them and were wondering about the quality of them. Some of the sale prices are quite good. I looking to upgarde a bit from my dads old unknown origin bits.

15 bit set for 39.95
30 bit set for 99.95
all with out shipping.

Any help would be appreciated

Rob

Bert Johansen
09-08-2003, 11:18 PM
Rob,

I have a small collection of router bits having bought piecemeal from Whiteside, Amana and Vermont American. I bought the smaller set from MLCS about four months ago with the 1/2-inch shanks and have been pleased with their performance. I think you will enjoy them, especially at their great prices.

Bert

Rob Bourgeois
09-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Ok heres a another dumb question.... Should I get the 1/4 or the 1/2 inch since my router has both.

I willll be ordering soon I think

Mike Evertsen
09-09-2003, 12:33 AM
I buy from them alot,,,if have a 1/2" collect get 1/2",,,,,

Don Farr
09-09-2003, 7:31 AM
Rob, I have never ordered a set from them, but have ordered individual bits several times and I am well pleased.
I don't know if it is true with them or not, but I have heard that the bits in sets are lower quality.

Jim Becker
09-09-2003, 9:17 AM
MCLS cutters are fine and they get a lot of positive comments in the forums. But for similar money you can buy Jesada which are made in USA. That's usually my choice, except for raised panel cutters which I prefer the Freud 2+2 design for a clean cut. I have bought a couple of MCLS bits (I'm only about 15 miles from their showroom), but find no compelling reason to do so including cost.

One other comment--sets are not always the best way to aquire router bits, especially the larger ones as there are often a large percentage of cutters you never use. My feeling is that most of us are better served to buy better quality in the exact profiles we need. When I do buy sets, it's usually a group of the same profile in different sizes, such as round-overs or coves in the commonly used sizes. Now this is just my opinion and everyone's situation is a little different. Do what is best for you.

Bert Johansen
09-09-2003, 9:55 AM
One other comment--sets are not always the best way to aquire router bits, especially the larger ones as there are often a large percentage of cutters you never use. My feeling is that most of us are better served to buy better quality in the exact profiles we need. When I do buy sets, it's usually a group of the same profile in different sizes, such as round-overs or coves in the commonly used sizes. Now this is just my opinion and everyone's situation is a little different. Do what is best for you.

I agree with Jim. That's why I bought the smaller set from MLCS. It has just enough of the basics (straights, coves, etc.) for a starter set. The bigger bits aren't typically included anyway, and you will probably buy bits you need as your projects dictate.

Bert

CJ Conrad
09-09-2003, 10:52 AM
I bought the 15 bit set and thought that it was great---for the price. There are still a few bits in that set that I have not used, but have on hand if I ever need them. Others performed well but it seemed I used them up pretty quick. I have since replaced these with other bits (I like Whiteside best) which seem to hold up longer than the bits in the set. I thought the set was a great way to get a good cross section of bits for a cheap price.

Mike Circo
09-09-2003, 11:17 AM
I seem to have a contrary experience here.

I tried MLCS bits and found them to be very poor. Only the straight bit was usable. All the profile bits, dovetails and beading bits I got were so dull as to be worthless in hardwoods. The Dovetail was especially bad, chattered burned and cut so poorly as to be dangerous.

If I was doing rough work in pine, maybe, but for quality work in expensive hardwoods I burned more stock with the MLCS bits than the bits cost.

Fool me once...

Now I stick with Amana, Whiteside, Jesada and CMT.

Byron Trantham
09-09-2003, 1:11 PM
I have been buying their bits, one at a time, and not only found them to hold up well but their tech support is great as well. I bought their glass door rail and stile set about four years ago and have run hundreds of feet of red oak through them and they are still cutting smooth. I got one bit, don't remember which one, but the bearing was bad. I called them and the sent a new bit (with bearing) instead to replacing just the bearing! On the trivial side - FREE SHIPPING!

Kent Cori
09-09-2003, 4:05 PM
I too have their small set. I figured it was pretty hard to go wrong at under $3 per bit and I was right! :p I've used most of them at one time or another and am quite pleased with the quality, sharpness and durability. I strongly recommend the 1/2" versions if your router will take it. They are much stronger shanks and, therefore, much safer than the 1/4" counterparts and cost the same to boot.

I've since bought another half-dozen bits from them and have had good results with all of them. Being able to buy one or two at a time with no shipping cots really appeasl to me. I've also bought their set of three undersized staight bits for plywood but haven't had the opportunity to use these yet.

For bits that I use a lot, I generally prefer Whitehead. They are definitely more expensive but I believe well worth it. I simply replace any worn out MLCS bits with the corresponding Whitehead version since to have worn it out, I must have used it a lot. :eek:

scott spencer
09-09-2003, 4:14 PM
Rob - My very first bits were the MLCS 15 piece set. For $40 it gave me chance to experiment with different bits to see which I liked without breaking the bank. They were worth every penny and are still cutting fine after 3 years of amateur use. When they wear out I may replace with better bits, but each replacement bit will run $15-20 if I upgrade. Based on my cost-conscious logic, I guess I wouldn't recommend the $99 set, as you end up with lots of stuff you're not likely to use and have now spent considerably more money for a high quantity of moderate quality bits. If I made my living do this, or was a very advanced amateur, there's no doubt I'd buy Whiteside, Jesada, Freud, etc., but the little MLCS set was perfect for me.

Bert Johansen
09-09-2003, 6:31 PM
Rob,

I just remembered that I purchased three or four Katana bits from MLCS before I bought the small MLCS set. IMHO, the Katana line are excellent bits and equal to Whiteside and CMT. I also recommend the 1/2-inch shank bits for durability and strength.

Bert

Rob Bourgeois
09-09-2003, 10:21 PM
I will be buying the bits tonight or tomorrow. I figure this will get me started and i can get rid of the old rusty bits that I was given.