PDA

View Full Version : Q about psi transferring tool

Stephen Hibbs
06-01-2006, 10:58 PM
I just got this thing today ( http://www.pennstateind.com/store/egset.html ) and I can't get it to work. I tried ironing it on with normal paper, and with photo paper, but neither worked. Does anyone have any suggestions, or is this thing not very good in general? I tried going pretty slowly, but it just burns the wood and the paper.

Raymond Overman
06-01-2006, 11:14 PM
I don't know about the iron device but certain types of photocopy toner and laser jet printer toner works like this using xylene (Health risk: read up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylene)). It's an extremely effective method for transferring patterns and fonts to wood for carving or texturing. You can even get a pen I think that uses just a little bit to release the toner. Once it evaporates, the toner is transferred to the wood.

Stephen Hibbs
06-01-2006, 11:20 PM
hmm, it doesn't mention it in the instructions, but where would I get this xylene stuff?

Keith Outten
06-02-2006, 5:32 AM
Stephen,

It works, the trick is to print your graphics or text on a laser printer or photcopy machine. I have never seen it done with graphics that were printed on an inkjet printer. You can use a regular clothes iron to transfer as well, you don't have to purchase any special tools.

Laser printers and photocopy machines use toner to produce the dark images, inkjet printers use a type of ink which I doubt will work.

Frank Fusco
06-02-2006, 9:22 AM
Yep, the ad does say photocopy or laser printer. One must read ads very carefully. There are transfer papers available in office supply stores that will work on regular printers. Might be worth checking out.

Daniel Heine
06-02-2006, 9:38 AM
Hello,

I have one of these tools as well. I have found that the following steps must be taken in order for it to work well:
1. Make a fresh photovopy or laser print of the pattern - ink jet prints will not work
2. Sand the durface the patter is to be on
3. Let the tool heat up for about 3 minutes
4. very slowly, go over the entire surface at least 5 times

Depending upon what you are trying to do, I now just use spray adhesive to glue the pattern directly on to the wood.

Good Luck,
Dan Heine

Stephen Hibbs
06-02-2006, 5:22 PM
thanks a lot guys, it hadn't occured to me there was a diference between photocopy machines and normal printers.