PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Rosewood ?

Al Willits
06-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Being the newbie at wood working I've been asking at work for suggestions and places to buy wood at, one of the guys I work with says he has some Brazilian Rosewood that his dad gave him and was gotten by his dad sometime in the late 40's or so.

He has it in the rafters of his storage shed and its been there for over 20 years, he's not a wood worker btw.
Anyway, if he remembers right, its about 6 to 8 foot long and 2 to 3 foot wide and 2 to 4" thick, rough sawn at best.

I'd have some doubts about all this, but the guy is not a story teller and did give me a 4' long x 3" x 4" chunk of rosewood that was finished smooth to play with.

We were wondering if this stuff would still be good after all these years and is it worth anything?
Getting it out of the rafters is gonna be a major project as 20+ years of stuff has been piled between the wood and the access to the attic.

Ya think it'd be worth the weekend to get to it?
Not exactly sure what to use it for either, its pretty and works great on guitars, but would it make a nice end table?
I was thinking of using it for inlays and maybe bubinga or cherry for the main parts of a coffee table, dinning room table or something further down the road, when I can make more than just sawdust well...:)
tia

Al

Mike Parzych
06-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Al - That's one huge chunk. If it is indeed Braz Rosewood, it would be worth plenty, and definitely worth digging out.

Maybe someone else can chime in with an estimated worth, but I'm sure there's plenty of ppl out there who would write a check in a second.

Al Willits
06-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Thanks, considering he's moving in the next couple of months if the offer they gave on another house goes though, I think we'll be digging it out.
If it looks anywhere near what he says, I'll post some pictures as I think he'd want to sell some of it.

Would this wood be any good for furniture or inlays?
Neither of us know what to do with it, seems its used in musical instruments mostly???

Hoping its still in good shape.

Al

Sam Chambers
06-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Al, if it really is Brazilian rosewood, and it's sound, there are luthiers who would pay big money for that board!

Steve Wargo
06-01-2006, 11:56 PM
If it is what you say it is... There are furniture makers who'd pay good money for that board.

Vaughn McMillan
06-02-2006, 2:03 AM
A 60 year old piece of Brazilian rosewood that size would be a very special find. I'd want to be sure I used it for something very special, or sell it to someone else who could do the piece justice. I sure wouldn't want to make any mistakes working with a piece like you've described, and at that size, it wouldn't be easy for me to work with. As others have mentioned, there are high-end pros who would write a big enough check for board like that to fund a pretty good collection of other domestic hardwoods. (Heck, I'd be pleased as punch just to get the "sample" piece your co-worker gave you.)

- Vaughn

Philip Duffy
06-02-2006, 5:15 AM
Since it is a rare day to find a piece these days I would suggest you send an email to Steve at ColonialTonewoods.com and tell him what you have for sale. Phil

Mike Cutler
06-02-2006, 5:41 AM
Al.

As others have stated, if that board is truly Brazilian rosewood, it is worth a lot of $$$

If it has been stored in the rafters, safe from the elements, and it anywhere near straight, there is nothing wrong with it. My Martin D-35 Guitar is 30 years old and there is nothing wrong with it.

If it is yours for the taking, I would certainley take it. I don't think I would make anything with it for awhile though.

Al Willits
06-02-2006, 8:23 AM
Thanks guys for the info, we're gonna have to get it dragged out of the rafters and see what really is there, if its anything like he thinks it is, I'll post (try to) pictures for ya.

Thanks for the contacts/suggestions, and I'll pass them on to him.

Mike, I have a 30 year old Hoffman single cutaway guitar with rose wood and it looks like new, stuff wears like iron.

Now just to get to it and figure out what is all there.

Thanks.

Al

John Timberlake
06-02-2006, 8:33 AM
A couple of years ago, I gao a small piece of Brazilian rosewood that was "mined" from 100 year old stumps. It was still in great shape. If it can withstand 100 years in the Amazon then 20 years in an attic will not hurt it. The price is more like $$$$$. Can no longer be imported into US. Make sure you get something in writing that it was stored there since 1940.

Byron Trantham
06-02-2006, 9:25 AM
Good grief! 2-3' wide, 2-4" thick, if it was PINE it would be worth the effort to retrieve it! Let us know what you do and send pics if possible.

Mac McAtee
06-02-2006, 9:26 AM
If that wood is Brazilian Rosewood and it is as big as you say, it would be a crime to cut it up into little pieces for inlay work. It also would be a crime to make a coffee table out of it.

Contact some of the high end hardwood sellers and you may be able to equip your entire workshop with the funds you could get for it. Two feet wide or wider is darn near impossible to get. That plank would make several hundred one piece guitar backs and the big boys would pay dearly for something like that.

Don't cut on it until you have firmly identified the wood type and have several quotations in hand for it.

You will find a BRW guitar set sells in the hundreds of dollars if the wood has any figure at all. A set is four pieces of wood. Two sides and two book matched back pieces. These pieces of wood are about 3/16" thick. Think of what could be cut out of a plank 4" thick.

I just visited a web site that sells Brazilian Rosewood Guitar Sets and found the following:

"The price of each set of Brazilian Rosewood (two piece back and matching sides) is $985"

Jim Becker
06-02-2006, 9:42 AM
Worth anything? If it's rosewood...and in those sizes...it's worth "a lot"...emphasis on "a lot"...

Al Willits
06-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Whoa....

I think I definetly need to talk to him today, pictures and more help seem a given, seems he may have found a pretty nice find.

Once again, thanks and I'll keep ya posted.

Al

Al Willits
06-02-2006, 3:43 PM
Seems he got up and pulled them boards out, appears he has about 15 boards ranging on the average between 10-20" wide 30 to 50" long and anywhere from 1 to 3" thick, with one large board of unknown type.

Seems these boards were used as a shipping crate back in the 40's and have bounced around in storage for years.
I have pictures but am not sure how to post them, cut and post or???
I'll try and see what happens.

Al

Cut and paste don't seem to work....

Jerry Strojny
06-02-2006, 3:52 PM
Al, there is a thread in the support forum that should walk you thru posting pictures.

Don Baer
06-02-2006, 4:04 PM
here is some info for you.
http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/graphics/00000001/brazil_rose.jpg
http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/graphics/00000001/moreinfo.gif (http://www.onlinewoods.com/onlinewoods/species.php?woodtype=128)
Product Description: Brazilian Rosewood

<SMALL>(Dalbergia nigra)</SMALL>
Color: The heartwood varies in color from shades of brown to red or chocolate to violet, and is irregularly streaked with black.

The Tree: The often buttressed trees are reported to develop boles that are usually short and irregular in shape. They may reach heights of 125 feet (38 m), with trunk diameters that range from 36 to 48 inches (100 to 120 cm).

The Wood: The wood has a very fragrant aroma similar to that of roses when cut. Finishes well and works easily.

Brazillian rosewood is reported to be scarce in the more accessible areas because of over-harvesting, but some timber from the species is reported to be available from environmentally responsible sources. Supplies of Brazilian rosewood are very limited because of shortages, making it quite expensive.

Typical Uses: Handles, inlay, veneering, musical instruments, etc.

Source Region: Brazil

and they don't even have a price for it by the board Ft on small pieces.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="90%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=left colSpan=2>Rosewood Brazilian Knife Handles
Bookmatched Pairs
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle rowSpan=5>http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/graphics/00000001/brazil_rose_knife.jpg </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Quantity in Basket:none
Code: 18030060

http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/graphics/buttons/pricing.gif
Price: $12.99
5 or more Price: $10.39
http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/graphics/buttons/details.gif
Thickness: 1/2''
Widths: 1.5'' (each)
Lengths: 5''

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Al Willits
06-02-2006, 4:09 PM
Hoping this works, thanks for the info.

Al

Al Willits
06-02-2006, 4:11 PM
couple more I hope...

Don Baer
06-02-2006, 4:14 PM
No that wood is no good. I'll be glad to hual it away for you...:D

Al Willits
06-02-2006, 4:14 PM
well hopefully one more?

Sorry, can't get morre than one at at time

Al Willits
06-02-2006, 4:17 PM
maybe?

Geeze, don't ya just hate newbies? :)

Al Willits
06-02-2006, 4:20 PM
And....hopefully two more

OK, the tall board on the picture on the left is unknown, but came in the same crate the rest did, possibly rose wood or?

Jerry Strojny
06-02-2006, 4:32 PM
Yep difinitely no good at all. All be driving through Minn the weekend. I'll get it off your hands so you don't need to worry about it any more.:)

Byron Trantham
06-03-2006, 7:25 AM
Wood! Are you sure that's wood? I think you should let me "examine it" for say - ever, just to make sure.;)

Al Willits
06-03-2006, 9:23 AM
What a forum...not only will you guys tell us we have bad wood here, but you'll come haul it away....I haven't seen this kinda help since we posted on the coin collecting forum pictures of them gold coins from my great grandpa, and was told they were fake, they were almost fighting to come get rid of them for us... :)

Just kidding of course, but you have helped a lot and I appreciate it.
I'm not sure what he's gonna do with it, but when he moves he's gonna have to store it somewhere....I of course volunteered my garage...:)

I know someone said to not use it for furniture, but I really think a Bubinga table with rose wood inlays would be very nice looking, not sure if its possible with them two woods, but I'd sure like to try, once I get past the just making sawdust stage.

He has offered a board to me and I'll think I'll take him up on it..

Once again, thanks all.

Al

Brian Hale
06-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Pay him whatever he wants for it.

Barry Bruner
06-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Like everyone has said ,this wood is worth a good bit of money. I`m not questioning your woodworking ability, it needs to go in to a special project, You probably won`t get another chance like this. I have a bed made out of it ,the panels are 18" x 33" ,I will try to send pics, not to good at it. Buy the way I didn`t make the bed. BARRY BRUNER

Al Willits
06-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Pay him whatever he wants for it.

I am planning on it, he has said I could have one of these boards for doing all this, but I think the value of this wood makes it so I won't hold him to it.
He also has a desk made of the same wood, that his father made years ago, that he's keeping.

I seem to be looking in more rafters lately.....:)

Al

Hank Knight
06-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Maybe I'm a little "goody-two-shoes," but if this guy is any kind of friend of yours, I'd think twice before I took his Brazillian rosewood and sold it for big bucks. I know he's offered it to you and doesn't know it's value, but I think you owe it to your friend to thank him and tell him the wood might be valuable. If he is still willing to give it to you or let you have it for a song, fine. At least you told him and you wouldn't be taking advantage of his ignorance.

Just a thought.

Hank

Brian Hale
06-03-2006, 12:28 PM
I also would not sell it for MY profit without being completely upfront with him.

A long long time ago i picked up some 3.5" thick walnut and cherry, 12" wide 8'+ long for less than a song. I have no idea what I'll do with it but I'd never sell just to make a profit. Perhaps one day my skills will reach a level that i could do this wood justice. Till then.......

Brian :)

Vaughn McMillan
06-03-2006, 1:01 PM
Maybe I'm a little "goody-two-shoes," but if this guy is any kind of friend of yours, I'd think twice before I took his Brazillian rosewood and sold it for big bucks... Nah Hank, you're not a goody-two-shoes -- you're a straight-up and honest individual, like most of us here. Looks like Al is on the same page with this, too.

...A long long time ago i picked up some 3.5" thick walnut and cherry, 12" wide 8'+ long for less than a song...
Now Brian, surely that wood's no longer good, all old like that. (Probably dusty, too.) Being the kind of guy I am, I'll offer you more than you paid for it -- a full song. Even a long one like Stairway to Heaven or Freebird. Heck, I'll go as high as Inna Gadda Da Vida if there's not too much dust on the old wood. :D

- Vaughn

Al Willits
06-03-2006, 2:39 PM
I'm sorry people, you misunderstood me, I was trying to find out about this wood for HIM, not me, in fact he has offered to give me a chunk of it free and I told him he didn't have to.
I'd like to BUY enough to use as inlays on the table I'd like to build, when my skills get past the flower box stage (box was my first major project).. :)

Also, Barry ya don't have to worry questioning my wood working ability, I have none.....:

Please reread my posts, I thought I was clear on this was for him, I don't treat people that way, I like to sleep nights.
He is not into woodworking nor is he comfortable on forums, I was just trying to help.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'll try to be clearer in the future.

Al

Hank Knight
06-03-2006, 3:06 PM
Al,

I misunderstood the tenor of your post and, apparently, several of the replies. I certainly didn't mean to disparage your good intentions. Please accept my apologies if I offended you.

Hank

Lee DeRaud
06-03-2006, 3:11 PM
Now Brian, surely that wood's no longer good, all old like that. (Probably dusty, too.) Being the kind of guy I am, I'll offer you more than you paid for it -- a full song. Even a long one like Stairway to Heaven or Freebird. Heck, I'll go as high as Inna Gadda Da Vida if there's not too much dust on the old wood. :DWhat a guy! Such a deal! :D

But I think "Bad To The Bone" would be a lot more appropriate.:eek: :p

Al Willits
06-03-2006, 3:30 PM
Al,

I misunderstood the tenor of your post and, apparently, several of the replies. I certainly didn't mean to disparage your good intentions. Please accept my apologies if I offended you.

Hank

No prob, that can be the trouble with the written word, what is written isn't always what's read.

Once again, thanks all.

Al

Mark Rios
06-03-2006, 3:45 PM
Al, if I understand you correstly, you said that he's NOT a woodworker and he doesn't like forums. If so, keeping this material and lugging it around (and keeping it in good condition) may be quite a hassle for him. If, in fact, it is worth what everyone is saying it is, perhaps you could sell it for him. It may help him pay for his move and then some. It seems to me that the more moving it around and just storing it may, perhaps, overtime reduce the value.

Does he actually WANT to keep it for some reason? Perhaps I missed this point. Perhaps selling it off for him would very beneficial for him AND you wouldn't feel too bad about accepting some of the wood for your efforts.

It just seems, from what I'm gathering, that he won't ever use it and the money could do some work for him instead of sitting in the rafters.

Just my thoughts.

Al Willits
06-03-2006, 5:17 PM
"""""""""""
Al, if I understand you correctly, you said that he's NOT a woodworker and he doesn't like forums. If so, keeping this material and lugging it around (and keeping it in good condition) may be quite a hassle for him. If, in fact, it is worth what everyone is saying it is, perhaps you could sell it for him. It may help him pay for his move and then some. It seems to me that the more moving it around and just storing it may, perhaps, overtime reduce the value.

Does he actually WANT to keep it for some reason? Perhaps I missed this point. Perhaps selling it off for him would very beneficial for him AND you wouldn't feel too bad about accepting some of the wood for your efforts.

It just seems, from what I'm gathering, that he won't ever use it and the money could do some work for him instead of sitting in the rafters.

Just my thoughts.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
Mark Rios
"""""""""""""""""""""

Close Mark, he was given this wood by his father and hasn't done anything with it because it needs plaining and jointing, he hasn't got rid of it because his dad evidently told asked him to hang on to it (??)
I don't have the complete story, but I believe he knew enough about the wood to hang on to it.

I'd love to help him sell it, but I have just slightly more knowledge that he does and that ain't saying much.
He has been checking Ebay to get an idea, and I believe he's going to contact a few of the local Luther's in the area.

Since I volunteered to store it in my garage, he'll/we will take a bit more time on what to do with it and it's worth, this is one of them projects you enjoy helping on..:)

Al

<!-- / sig -->

Corey Hallagan
06-03-2006, 6:14 PM
Great looking bed project Barry!

Corey

Steve Clardy
06-03-2006, 7:15 PM
I am planning on it, he has said I could have one of these boards for doing all this, but I think the value of this wood makes it so I won't hold him to it.
He also has a desk made of the same wood, that his father made years ago, that he's keeping.

I seem to be looking in more rafters lately.....:)

Al

Hmmmm. Similiar to Dumpster Diving?:eek: :D Hmmmmm

Keith Weber
06-03-2006, 7:27 PM
As a guitar lover and someone who wants to get into guitar building in a few years after I finish my shop and house furniture, I would hate to see this wood wasted on anything other than musical instruments. I'd love to buy some myself if it's available for sale. I'd keep it in proper storage until I could put it into its rightful place -- the back and sides of a couple of accoustic guitars. Please drop me an e-mail if he's willing to sell some to be used in guitars.

Keith

Dan Forman
06-04-2006, 2:52 AM
Al---I bet Charlie Hoffman would be interested in some of that. I used to live in Mpls, and hung out in his shop quite a bit back around the time your guitar was made. Just ran across his web page last week, seems he's still in the biz. The lawering must have gotten to him!

Dan

Tom Sontag
06-04-2006, 2:55 AM
I agree with Keith. Brazilian has very special acoustic properties and is also very rare. With all due respect, dropping bits of it into inlay is unjust to the wood. Putting it into the hands of anyone with less than, say, ten years experience is probably not right either. (I just pulled a number from the air to make my point. I would include myself in the unworthy group).

This wood, if it really is BR, deserves to be made into musical instruments. You ought to focus your efforts on confirming what it is he has. If it is BR, ebay it one at a time or call musical instrument suppliers. Do not be afraid to accept some reward for your efforts; without your help, it would still be sitting in his attic.

Steve knight
06-04-2006, 3:32 AM
the stuff can be as much as 90.00 a bf.
but myself I rather use cocobolo it has more contrast. the b rosewood is more of an even color.

Charles Bruno
06-04-2006, 8:44 AM
Get it now!

Al Willits
06-04-2006, 10:27 AM
OK, sorry if I've missed some of your posts, took me a bit to
figure that when you hit the quote button the reply goes after the quote
and not at the end of the line.

Dan, Charlie might be a good one to try, I'm selling my Hoffman and I need to talk to him anyway, ya...he never seemed to happy playing lawyer did he? :)

Keith, Tom, wasted?
Sorry, I see your side but I disagree, be like saying professional tools should only go to pros as the amateurs are just wasting them.

Or more accurately maybe, using a high priced wood such as Bubinga as a table top when
basic oak would do quite nicely.
I understand what your saying, but one of the things that's nice about woodworking is we can make our choice of woods and tools we want to use.
Would I spend $90bf to buy something to use as a inlay?
No, but I don't have that kinda disposable income considering everything
else I need.
If I had a 7 or 8 figured income, I just might.
Rosewood may indeed make a great musical instrument, but it also looks like it would be beautiful as an inlay, and if he offers a piece at a price I can afford, inlays it'll be.
But your point is well taken and thanks.

Besides, wife is way enthused about this project, even if a year or two away and its much easier to buy more tools and wood with her wanting it...:)

Charles, He's offered a board and I told him I'd give him something for it, he say don't worry about it and I'm leaving it at that.
I don't feel he has to offer anything for what I'm doing, we are friends
and have helped each other when needed, no charge.

As said, he needs to make sure its rosewood, and then find someone who'll give him a fair price for it, I'll pass on what been said and offered on this forum (he says thanks btw) and we'll see what happens.

Has been an interesting project...:)

btw, my first choice for inlay was looking like a darker Cherry. fwiw :)

Al