PDA

View Full Version : Saw sharpening - alternative to sight black?

Paul Erickson
06-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Tom Law, in his saw sharpening video, uses sight black to dull the glare of the teeth while sharpening. Anyone know an alternative? Given the ______ up nature of the canadian gun laws finding this product up here is a bit of a challenge. I know about using a black felt marker, but the arisol spray makes things quicker. I guess in principle I am looking for a very fast drying dull black paint, but would appreciate hearing any other suggestions.
cheers, Paul

Alan DuBoff
06-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Paul,

I have used both of the following:

1) black marks-a-lot, cleans up with spirits after.

2) candle soot, hold the teeth over a candle flame.

Given those two, I prefer the marks-a-lot. Good to know both, since a candle isn't hard to find if you don't have a marks-a-lot. :)

Mike Wenzloff
06-02-2006, 1:32 AM
Hi Paul,

I sharpen fairly frequently--1-6 saws a day. So consumables are, well, consumable. I always start out taking a test cut. Usually the dust left on the saw is enough. Another benefit of using a test cut and then examining the teeth is it will reveal any shiny points which indicate low teeth. With a marker one will mark them all.

Also, not that you asked, but when sharpening I am often called away. Losing one's place is for me a real possibility, so I lay a piece of string across the gullet of the last filed tooth.

Oh, I do sometimes use a fine tipped sharpie to mark teeth when I shift a saw in the vise.

Take care, Mike