PDA

View Full Version : Tire Road Hazard Warranties...Worth It?

Vaughn McMillan
06-01-2006, 9:52 PM
Due to a blowout last night, I'm buying tires for my Lexus 300RX (2-wheel drive) in the next day or two. I've read the recent tire-buying thread, and although the Michelins look good, I'm looking at going a bit below that price-wise, and yet get something near the top of the Tirerack.com surveys -- the Yokohama Geolander.

Anyway, on to the question...any recommendations or war stories regarding the replacement warranties everyone seems to sell? Is it worth wagering $60 against the loss of a $110 tire? In all my years of driving, I've had two true blowouts that were not repairable, and one of those (last night) was very near the end of the tread life anyway. I don't typically buy extended warranties on appliances or tools, and I'm wondering if these replacement warranties are the same type of income-generating vehicles for the tire industry.

Your thoughts?

- Vaughn

Ken Fitzgerald
06-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Vaugh...........I moved here from Chicago 24 years ago. Didn't need tires. 2 times a local NW chain, Les Schwab Tires, repaired flats free on one of my vehicles.....once when my wife was driving and once when my oldest son was driving. I buy tires from Schwab's exclusively. I've been driving Toyo's since about 1984. They typically come with a 50,000 mile warrantee. Once, the tires only had about 48,000 miles on them when I decided to replace them but they were about 6 years old at the time. In short, if you get a good tire........I don't think you need the road hazard warrantee. But then again.........I'm driving in the mountains and desert......shoot.....we don't even have driveby shootings here!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Bruce Page
06-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Not in my book. I never buy extended warranties. Every article that I have ever read on the subject including one by Consumer Reports said the same thing, RIP OFF!

jmho, ymmv :D

Jason Roehl
06-01-2006, 10:38 PM
You never know what you might pick up. That said, I usually don't get the warranties. Of course, last night, I backed into my usual parking spot on my gravel driveway and picked up a rock that punched a 1"x3" hole right through the tread on my truck tire (E-rated 10-ply tires)! It cost me $125 to replace this morning. The tire store had a large jar on the counter of all kinds of things they pulled out of various tires--you know, the usual--nails, screws, spark plugs...

Just keep in mind who makes money on warranties in the long run. They use the same accounting principles as Las Vegas...

Matt Meiser
06-01-2006, 11:03 PM
I say it depends. The tire place I deal with charges something like $12/tire for the warranty and includes free lifetime balancing and rotation. Well worth it in my opinion even if I never need a replacement tire.

Michael Cody
06-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Walmart adds in the tire warranty along with mount, balance, lifetime rotation, balancing etc.. I use them a lot because of the 3-4k miles I drive each month, there is always a walmart nearby. I have used the road hazard twice in 7 years oddly enough each time the tire in question was under 3 months old. Both tires were totaled.. cost to me each time was just a couple bucks. My son bought road hazard on the Kuhmo's I put on his Neon.. less than a month later he flat-spotted the two front ones avoiding a deer.. cost for 2 tires was over 100$ - I got them replaced for 39$ including mounting/balance at Discount Tire. So for now I am ahead of the game. But I have to admit in over 30 years of driving, I would not be ahead of the game if I always had bought road hazard. So it's a wash. With a new set of treads over 300$ -- then a 50$ for road hazard might be reasonable if you use the free balancing/rotation most places offer.. otherwise it's the cost of a single tire... so it's no bargain. How's that for political double speak ??

Mark Rios
06-02-2006, 1:59 AM
Costco has very good prices on their tires, including Michelin, and includes all the goodies like road hazard repair.

I use their tires on my car and my truck and, unfortunately, have needed to use the road hazard dealie (stinkin' nail) and all went well. Repaired for free and on the road again in no time and they even included brand new nitrogen in the tires; Special Costco nitrogen......Special.

Matt Meiser
06-02-2006, 8:29 AM
Special Costco nitrogen......Special.

Probably not as good as Nitornize nitrogen.:D

Joe Pelonio
06-02-2006, 9:19 AM
To me that's like buying a new injet printer for $99 and paying $30 for an extended warranty. I'd also look for a place that offers that free as many do. We've been using Sam's club, for the best deals on tires lately.

Tim Burke
06-02-2006, 10:09 AM
also look for a place that offers that free as many do. We've been using Sam's club, for the best deals on tires lately.

Another vote for Sam's Club. Lifetime rotation and road hazard is just part of the cost, along with install in less than 1 hour. Any Sam's Club will honor the warranty too.

I have bought tires for 5 cars at Sam's Club, all great experiences and prices. My daugther even got a blowout through a horrible curb job, and they still fixed the tire and even straightened a small bend in the rim for free.

I have an unusual ability to pick up nails in my van. They were very quick about removing the tire and patching from the inside, then rebalancing the tire.

Tim

Jim Becker
06-02-2006, 10:11 AM
As a general rule, I don't usually buy extended warranties like that...I'd rather "self-insure". The only exception I've made was with the Highlander Hybrid due to the extensive electronics in the vehicle as well as being able to negotiate the cost of the 7 year/100K mile "soup to nuts" (transferable) coverage to something I was willing to pay. So for the tires...I'd not likely spend the money on the hazard insurance.

Jim O'Dell
06-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Tire warranties are like any other insurance policy...they only pay off if you need it. I've had them before. Took the tire back to get a flat fixed and they replaced the tire instead. I thought it was overkill, but didn't argue too much. If the feeling of security helps, go for it. They are usually only about 10.00 to 12.oo each tire. Oh, I remember now, the warranties I had I got from an accident. I had put the tires on one day, went to OK for a dog show the next day, and a trucker drifted off the road and knocked an exit sign out in my path that I ran over. I wanted new tires, but settled for the road hazzard warranty. Jim.

Stan Mijal
06-02-2006, 4:40 PM
My experiences have definitely supported paying the $10 or so per tire. Had 4 or 5 tires replaced as a result of punctures in the sidewall area, bubbling of sidewall (instead of a prorated new tire it was replaced outright). In addition, the convenience of free balance and rotation just makes the deal sweeter. To me , its a no brainer...