PDA

View Full Version : First Hollow Form

Bernie Weishapl
06-01-2006, 9:28 PM
Well I finally got it finished. It is my first hollow form. It stands right at 7" tall and 3 1/2" across. It is cherry with a walnut collar. The collar opening is about 1". It is sanded to 400 grit and finished with 4 coats of Waterlox finish. The wife snapped that thing up before I could even get pictures.I wasn't going to put the base on it but she insisted she wanted the base. So since she said I can now get some hollowing tools I guess she got her base. I am really tickled at the way it came out. Let me know what you think and if I could have did anything different.

Jim Becker
06-01-2006, 9:33 PM
You always provide what the customer asks for... ;)

Nice job, Bernie. I'll warn you...hollowforms can be addictive, too!

Scott Donley
06-01-2006, 9:51 PM
OUTSTAAAANDING ! Great job Bernie, Wow, great finish also. :cool:

Dick Parr
06-01-2006, 9:53 PM
That sure don't look like a first one Bernie, you have been holding back on us. Very nice job anyways.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Jeez.........Bernie! I get caught up with work and don't turn for a few weeks and look what you've been doing! Incredible for your first or 30th! Fantastic!

Corey Hallagan
06-01-2006, 10:23 PM
You knocked another one out of the park with that piece Bernie! Beautiful! Congrats and I am looking forward to the NEXT one!

corey

John Miliunas
06-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Let's see; You said, "Hollow form" and "first". I quit! :eek: Really. I just can't take this anymore! All you guys with your "first" this, that and the other thing and I'm happy when I don't blow up a plain old bowl!!! :o Great job, Bernie! I love the finish on it, as well. Now, as long as "the boss" likes it, you've got it made! :) :cool:

Jim Ketron
06-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Nice Job Bernie!
Looks Great!

Travis Stinson
06-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Great job Bernie. And you get hollowing tools out of the deal.........A winner all the way around!:D

Vaughn McMillan
06-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Is this the same Bernie who just got his first lathe a few months ago? :eek: Great piece, Bernie...I'd say you're getting it figured out pretty quick.

- Vaughn

Barry Stratton
06-01-2006, 11:50 PM
EXCELLENT JOB, Bernie! Simply beautiful.

One question though - is it really a hollow form or is it a gigantic "ort"?

Seriously - YOU DONE OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
06-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the compliments. I appreciate it. Yes it is the first one and the walls are around 3/16". I am waiting on the video from Dennis Peacock on the Jamison unit. Will watch it and make up my mind if I want the Jamison or the Keltons which has a rig like the Jamison so I can always add it later. I talked with Carole Valentine and she really likes the minis, the 1/2" and the 5/8" in the Keltons. I got to use the Keltons in Virginia when we visited the kids. I must say I really like them a lot and better than I do the Sorbies.

Jim B. you are right. I think this is going to be addictive. I can't wait to get some tools to do some bigger ones.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-02-2006, 12:36 AM
Looks really great, and I don't want to say your lovely wife was wrong in wanting the base, but I'd say that I agree with you, the base is not to my liking, but that don't count for naught, as your lovely wife is the one who likes it :D

I'm looking at hollowing tools too, so I'll be very interested in your take on the various ones out there.

Cheers!

Corey Hallagan
06-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Bernie, I would of guessed much taller than the 7 inches. Looks like a 12-14 incher sitting there. Again, great job!

corey

John Hart
06-02-2006, 6:07 AM
Nicely done Bernie! I think you are going to love hollow forms. You certainly have the knack for it. I really like your choice of wood types too!

Mark Cothren
06-02-2006, 8:00 AM
Looks like some mighty fine work to me, Bernie! Keep 'em coming!!!

Keith Burns
06-02-2006, 8:24 AM
Great job on your first HF Bernie:) :) :) Looking forward to seeing more.

Michael Stafford
06-02-2006, 9:27 AM
Very nice, Bernie. I am always impressed with you guys that do hollow forms. As you know I don't turn hollow forms.....:D

John Hart
06-02-2006, 9:30 AM
Very nice, Bernie. I am always impressed with you guys that do hollow forms. As you know I don't turn hollow forms.....:D
But deep down...you know you ort to. ;)

Ed Scolforo
06-02-2006, 10:00 AM
HEY Bernie, you sure that's your first one? Great job!
Ed

George Conklin
06-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Nicely done, Bernie. I looked at the pictures and thought,,, I bet his wife snapped that one up quick,,, and low and behold, I read your post to find out that's exactly what happened:D . I guess I didn't have to be Carnac to figure that one out:rolleyes: .
Nicely done.

Mark Pruitt
06-02-2006, 12:58 PM
So very beautiful!!! I take one look at that and I'm thinking, man I'm gonna have some fun at the lathe this weekend. The flatwork can wait! I'm just dying to become that good at the lathe! Thanks for the inspiration Bernie.

Ernie Nyvall
06-02-2006, 9:42 PM
Good job Bernie. Fun aren't they.

Ernie