PDA

View Full Version : my tomahawks

Frank Fusco
06-01-2006, 6:09 PM
Pictured is my collection, more like 'accumulation' of tomahawks and two axes. All have been used in my reenactment activities both for throwing and camp work. The second from the bottom one is the only antique, all others are reproductions. That one is a one-hand squaring axe. The bottom one is a tomahawk shaped axe I have had since I was a Cub scout.

Bruce Page
06-01-2006, 7:43 PM
Frank, nice collection. What is the very small one used for?

Frank Fusco
06-01-2006, 8:04 PM
Frank, nice collection. What is the very small one used for?

There are two small ones there. The squarish one is a copy of one found in a Hudson's Bay fort. It is called several names but belt axe or pack basket axe is a good description. It is light, has a flat for pounding stakes, it perfect around camp for firewood and light chores. And, of course, if needed fighting. Not good for throwing. The other small one in the more conventional shape was made by Amish blacksmiths and sold under the name 'mouse hawk'. It was intended for parents to buy for their children who couldn't handle a full sized 'hawk. And that is what we bought it for. Our youngest son learned to throw the 'hawk using that one in the picture. The two above it are mid-sized, called 'squaw hawks' and fit women and slightly older children.

Frank Fusco
06-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Forgot one. Just added to board.

Mike Henderson
06-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Frank, you mentioned that some are reproductions. Do you make them yourself or have them made?

Mike