PDA

View Full Version : Simple Shop Cabinets

Charles Wilson
06-01-2006, 6:04 PM
Anyone know of any freebie plans for simple shop cabinets (floor and wall)?

Thanks,
Chuck

Nissim Avrahami
06-01-2006, 6:18 PM
Hi Charles

Have a look at this one:
http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/resources/index.php?&cat=417&offset=0

They have 179 plans for all kind of cabinets.

niki

Bob Noles
06-01-2006, 7:22 PM
Why build them when they can be had nearly free. Visit some cabinet shops around your area and see if you can find some "oops" cabinets or "tear outs". They normally will let you have them for a song.

Charles Wilson
06-01-2006, 7:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but I wanted to build them for skill building as I am a novice.

Cody Colston
06-01-2006, 8:11 PM
I don't know about any plans but mine are 3/4" Birch plywood with 1/4" Luan plywood backs. The doors are Pine, frame and panel with the panel being 1/4" brown hardboard. The base cabs have a replaceable 1/4" hardboard top over 3/4" plywood which is over a 2x4 grid "on-the-flat" ala Norm...which btw, his "Miter Bench & Storage" plans along with the "Garage Workshop" plans are a good place to start.

I finished mine with a coat of poly to help keep the dust from sticking. There's nothing fancy about them but they are utilitarian which is what I was after.

Greg Koch
06-01-2006, 8:36 PM
Cody,

Sounds like nice cabinets. Any pics you could post to show us better what they came out like?

Joe Scarfo
06-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Chuck....

I built my cabinets for the same reason you did. I took a cabinet making class at the local woodcraft, and simply jumped in.

I scratched out the sizes on an engineering pad, made the cut list, cut the carcasses, and did a little glew and scrue with the new pocket screw jig.

The raised panel doors are either super strips from the orange borg or 2 x 4's milled down in the planer.

The super strip doors look awsome as having developed a cool petina over the last 4 years. The 2 x 4 doors look like antique knotty pine and just look great.

Where am I headed? You don't need plans, simply draw them up yourself.... it'll be fun building from your own.

I tried to attach pics of the cabinets, but I'm having trouble attaching more than one. I may have to add add'l posts to get the pics in...

This pic is milled down 2 x 4's.

I tried to post the other pics, but I can't seem to get permission to do so.. if you want to see them, let me know and I'll email pics.

Good Luck
Joe

Julio Navarro
06-02-2006, 9:35 AM
Nice cabinets, can you put a couple pics of that yellow TS hood armature? It looks interesting.