PDA

View Full Version : help w/dw735

Joe Jansen
06-01-2006, 5:24 PM
I bought a used dw735 planer from sears. The good news is it was $299. The bad news is when i got it home it is tearing wood out terribly. Tried to run cherry through it and it would not even go. Only taking 1/32 off. tried narrow pine and it went through but tear out.
The bed is smooth.
Things sound good.
There is no manual so I am not sure what to do about possible blade change.
Any help would be appreciated.
Should I just bring it back?
Joe

Jamie Buxton
06-01-2006, 5:35 PM
It may well have dull knives. They are double-sided, and you may be able to get fresh edges by just turning them over. If both edges are dull, you can buy a new set for $50 or so.

You may be able to download a manual for the planer at www.dewalt.com. I know they have manuals for many of their products.

John Buzzurro
06-01-2006, 6:01 PM
Joe, I would definitely check the blades as Jamie suggests. I have a DW735, so if you have trouble locating the manual, PM me and I'll be happy to get a copy to you.

Mack Cameron
06-02-2006, 7:02 AM
I bought a used dw735 planer from sears. The good news is it was $299. Joe

Hi Joe; at $299, you got a great deal. Get the blades sharpened first.
Here in Canada, Home Depot is retailing the DW 735 at $599. I got mine from a fellow WW'er, hardly used for $500.

Brad Townsend
06-02-2006, 8:14 AM
Like the others, I suspect that once you get a sharp set of blades in that thing, you will find you got a heck of a deal.

Joe Jansen
06-02-2006, 8:15 AM
Thanks for the help.
Tommorrow I will flip the blades clean the rollers wax the table and see if that might help.
I will talk directlyu to dewalt about what they may help me with - perhaps a new set of blades. They are sending me a manual.
Thanks again I will keep you posted
Joe

Byron Trantham
06-02-2006, 9:16 AM
As already suggested, check the blades. On another note, cherry is problematic to plane at best. Grain goes every where.:mad:

Doyle Alley
06-02-2006, 9:38 AM
Even with sharp blades, you can help prevent tearout on cherry by lightly wetting the surface. Get a water spray bottle and mist the surface a few minutes prior to planing.

Joe Jansen
06-02-2006, 5:27 PM
Had time today to takethe machine aprt.
Found a mess inside.
Flipped the blades over
Cleaned everything up.
Put it all back together.
Ran a piece of oak through and it was smooth as a babies bottom.
Then the origianl cherry- beautiful finish.
Thanks for the help
I got a great deal on the Dewalt 735
Joe