PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good RAS

Brian Clevenger
06-01-2006, 4:58 PM
I've been wanting a good RAS for quite a while, but the good ones never seem to show up in my neck of the woods. I found this one locally, but I don't know anything about it. Should I consider it, or keep looking?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/okstatefan/Mnn8Kmqz9FgsXDVTIOrR1Ssep1Bt.jpg (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/okstatefan/Mnn8Kmqz9FgsXDVTIOrR1Ssep1Bt.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

Charlie Plesums
06-01-2006, 5:09 PM
That looks like my RAS. The earlier ones like this held alignment better than the newer ones, but could not accept the safety upgrade... therefore the safety recall on my model (and probably this one) is that they will give you $100 to destroy the saw (send back key parts). The newer ones that can be made somewhat safer don't hold alignment as well. I consider the RAS the most dangerous machine in my shop, but having used it for 30+ years, I have kept it.

They shouldn't sell it to you for less than $100 since they can get that much from the factory for it. Generally they don't sell for much more than $100-$150. This does not look like the switch has been "upgraded" so if you have to replace it, Sears charges about $40 for a new switch, with new mounting plate, etc.

Don't count on using the detents on the saw to set angles like 45 degrees... if you are looking for cutting accurate angles, get a miter saw...safer and more accurate. But if you get this saw, it does hold the setup pretty well.

Chris Barton
06-01-2006, 5:19 PM
I agree with Carlie. I had one of these too. By the way, looking at the picture in your post (the link doesn't work) it looks like the detent handle is broken off or missing (a level that should be directly behind the round knob at the end of the rail. I am not a RAS fan.

Greg Sznajdruk
06-01-2006, 5:54 PM
Good Radial Arm Saw is that an "oxymoron"?

I've got my fathers Dewalt RAS circa 1956. I have a love hate relationship with this tool. Mostly I love to hate it. But it was my fathers so I keep it for sentimental reasons.

Greg

Brian Clevenger
06-01-2006, 6:22 PM
Thanks for the input guys.... I passed on the saw. If I get one, it will be one of the older DeWalts.

Allen Bookout
06-01-2006, 6:51 PM
Good move Brian!!!!!!!!!

I had the same saw for years and years and I totally agree with everything that Charlie Plesums had to say about it. I finally threw mine away last year and did not even go for the $100. I have been so mad at Sears for the last twenty years that I did not want anything to do with it.

One note about Sears. I have had two small Sears ratchet wrenches for thirty years that never worked right. I was so mad at Sears that I never took them back untill today. I took them in, showed them to a person at the check out desk and they said to go pick out two new ones and they would take care of it. Sure enough, I walked out with two new ones at zero cost to me. I may have to reconsider my feelings.

Allen

John Bailey
06-01-2006, 9:00 PM
Brian,

I used a Craftsman saw for over 20 years and it did everything I needed it to do. I now have a 50 yr. old DeWalt and it is night and day better. Can't give the Sears away. I've been using the DeWalt for about 6 months now and I haven't had to adjust it one time. That was the main problem with the Sears. Just couldn't keep it square from job to job.

My advise, wait for a good ole' DeWalt.

John

Brad Townsend
06-01-2006, 9:04 PM
I inherited that same saw from my late father. I took the $100 and ran. Nothing sentimental attached to it. He hated it even more than I did.:D

Greg Koch
06-01-2006, 10:01 PM
I've been using this '83 Craftsman I got for a couple of months, and it's still "right on". I upgraded the blade guard, handle and table from the free kit sent by Emerson Electric, and put on a Rigid Titanium 50T combo blade, and build a "big gulp" dust catcher.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_IMG_2560.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/IMG_2560.jpg)

Larry Norton
06-01-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm on my second Craftsman. The first one was crushed by the tornado, my buddy was getting rid of his so I gave him $100 for it. I use it every day, but only for 90 degree cross cutting. Thinking back, I should have dragged the old one out of the basement and gotten $100 for it.

Now that I have my new JessEm miter gauge, I don't use the RAS as much. I absolutely love my miter gauge!

Brian Clevenger
06-02-2006, 2:18 AM
I might have an chance to get an old DeWalt. The price is around $250, so I'm not sure if it is a good buy or not.

I have a SCMS that I use for crosscuts on long stock. Shorter crosscuts I prefer to do on the table saw with a Jessem miter gauge. It is far more accurate and repeatable than any miter saw I've used....but it is only good for about 30".

My intents for a RAS are basically for crosscut dados for fixed shelved on bookcases. I am in a family of readers, and we have gathered a collection of thousands of books. Most are stored in boxes in the attic at present, but I am gettting ready to convert our current living room into a media/library room.

Thanks for the input guys. Y'all always seem to come through.

CPeter James
06-02-2006, 8:26 AM
The old Dewalts are around and the $250 is on the high side unless it is real nice. I bought one last fall for $150 that was in the same family (2d generation) since about 1950. There are some things to check as to wear points. Check out the Dewalt RAS forum. I use mine for dados only.

BTW I has a Sears RAS for 33 years and sold it back for the $100, so I am not new to this beast.

Check out the links on this page.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/rmunson/nook/

CPeter

Jeff Horton
06-02-2006, 9:21 AM
I might have an chance to get an old DeWalt. The price is around $250, so I'm not sure if it is a good buy or not.

Depends on condition and model. When you say DeWalt that is like saying Craftsman. They made A LOT of different saws. My GP is an industrial model (I think). They made smaller more portable home versions up to 20+ inch bladed monsters.

Bill White
06-02-2006, 9:56 AM
and defend my '78 Craftsman RAS that I have used extensively, safely, rip, crosscut, dado, miter, and moved 5 times. But since I'm the only guy in the world scared to death of a table saw, I think I'll just let it slide.
Bill

Charlie Plesums
06-03-2006, 12:23 AM
...My intents for a RAS are basically for crosscut dados for fixed shelved on bookcases. I am in a family of readers, and we have gathered a collection of thousands of books. Most are stored in boxes in the attic at present, but I am gettting ready to convert our current living room into a media/library room. ...
First, the fixed shelf bookcases I made for my own use are always the wrong height... books that fit when they were built, now have been moved to other areas, and the new books don't fit. So all the bookcases I make now have adjustable shelves (except one fixed shelf in the middle fot structural reasons).

I have a RAS. I have a table saw (even with a sliding table). I have a dado blade that has been used on both saws. But I still cut my dadoes with a router. Even when I am building libraries like this:
http://www.plesums.com/wood/livingroom/LibRight2555.jpg

John Bailey
06-03-2006, 5:45 AM
I think I'll just let it slide.
Bill

Good one Bill;)!

John

Jeff Singleton
06-03-2006, 4:03 PM
I have DeWalt Super Duty, 16", 5hp, 24" crosscut. I completely rebuilt with safety in mind. It has more power and accuracy then anything I have used in 25 years.The biggest safety issue I have is with people using their right arm to pull the head out. A RAS is a LEFT handed machine, period. That is why most RAS builder leave a deep table on the left so it decourages idiots from using their right arms, then again a lot of people have never read a manual on RAS's or the OSHA requirement for saws. Please, be save with the most dangerous machine in woodworking.

Jeff Singleton

Allen Bookout
06-03-2006, 4:29 PM
That is why most RAS builder leave a deep table on the left so it decourages idiots from using their right arms, then again a lot of people have never read a manual on RAS's or the OSHA requirement for saws. Jeff Singleton
I don't think that most of us "IDIOTS" that have used these saws for over thirty five years are referring to the RAS as being very dangerous for crosscutting. Well, maybe in some instances.

Next time that I get a RAS I will try to read the manual. That might help. Oh yes - and the OSHA requirements also. Will do. Thanks for the advice!

Allen

Bart Leetch
06-03-2006, 4:57 PM
That is why most RAS builder leave a deep table on the left so it discourages idiots from using their right arms, then again a lot of people have never read a manual on RAS's or the OSHA requirement for saws.

Gee do you suppose that is why they recommend (make that require) a guard with an horizontal flange that is a little wider than it is from the tip of your fingers to your wrist that sticks out to the left side of the blade guard to knock your left hand away from the blade so you don't cut your fingers or hand off. Also some kind of mechanism to pull the head back & away from the operator when the head is released. (required by Washington State & Osha)Yes I had a visit from WISHA of Washington state to my shop & that is the only thing I had wrong in my shop the saw has been tagged out of service for 3 years now I just haven't got around to updating it. But I will in the near future.

Bruce Benjamin
06-03-2006, 5:48 PM
The biggest safety issue I have is with people using their right arm to pull the head out. A RAS is a LEFT handed machine, period. That is why most RAS builder leave a deep table on the left so it decourages idiots from using their right arms, then again a lot of people have never read a manual on RAS's or the OSHA requirement for saws. Please, be save with the most dangerous machine in woodworking.

Jeff Singleton

Well Jeff, thanks for calling me an idiot and I gotta say, "Right back at ya, buddy!" I can't imagine where you get your info but my Craftsman RAS is a machine designed to use the right hand to pull the carriage. I just looked it up in the manual and it even shows drawings of this. Pulling with the left hand is dangerous and awkward on my saw in my opinion. I don't know about OSHA requirements and I don't care about them. I know what feels safe and I know what the manual says. Maybe the saw you use requires a different technique but I think the majority of RAS users have a standard 10" saw that are designed to be used with the right hand. The giant saws I've seen used at the various lumber yards and box stores appear to all be made to be used with the right hand too. Whatever you want to think is ok to though.

Bruce

Jeff Singleton
06-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Sorry guys, I should have chosen my works more carefully. About the left hand thing. With a radial arm saws arm coming straight out and the motor handle is on the right side of the arm it only seem right that you stand to the right of the saw when cutting. When using your right hand you have to reach under the arm and around the blade guard to get to the handle and then the saw come right out at you or between your right hand and your body and if you are a tall person it is a more pronounced reach. I have never use a Craftman RAS or Delta's, only DeWalt GE, GA, and the Super Duties. Maybe you can get away with using your right hand to pull the carriage out on some saws and maybe some manufactors tell you to use your right hand. I started patternmaking in 1979 and the first week I was there we were setting up a new shop. An OSHA inspector showed up, who know why is anyone quess but I know durning the building of the shop building inspectors were there all the time. The OSHA ins. red flagged the RAS before we could install the return spring or in our case a counter weight. Since I was the closest person to the RAS and him and only 19 years out I got the lecure on RAS safety. I was building a lumber rack at the time, not using the saw. But he drilled about safety on the saw and I still remember it to this day. Needless to say he is reason why I only use my left hand on the RAS. But that is no reason for using the wrong words. Once again I apoligise for my words.

Jeff Singleton

Bruce Benjamin
06-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Sorry guys, I should have chosen my works more carefully. About the left hand thing. With a radial arm saws arm coming straight out and the motor handle is on the right side of the arm it only seem right that you stand to the right of the saw when cutting. When using your right hand you have to reach under the arm and around the blade guard to get to the handle and then the saw come right out at you or between your right hand and your body and if you are a tall person it is a more pronounced reach. I have never use a Craftsman RAS or Delta's, only DeWalt GE, GA, and the Super Duties. Maybe you can get away with using your right hand to pull the carriage out on some saws and maybe some manufactors tell you to use your right hand. I started patternmaking in 1979 and the first week I was there we were setting up a new shop. An OSHA inspector showed up, who know why is anyone quess but I know durning the building of the shop building inspectors were there all the time. The OSHA ins. red flagged the RAS before we could install the return spring or in our case a counter weight. Since I was the closest person to the RAS and him and only 19 years out I got the lecure on RAS safety. I was building a lumber rack at the time, not using the saw. But he drilled about safety on the saw and I still remember it to this day. Needless to say he is reason why I only use my left hand on the RAS. But that is no reason for using the wrong words. Once again I apoligise for my words.

Jeff Singleton

I still have no idea of what you're talking about. Your RAS must look different than most others. The handle on mine is right in the front. The handle on every other RAS I've ever seen in person is more or less on the front of the motor carriage. Perhaps doing the slightest amount of research on the designs of saws other than your own would be a good idea before you make such a blanket statement. Numerous websites have RAS pictures. I just did a quick Google search and in a few minutes I couldn't find a single saw that has a handle like you describe or anything that would be safer using your left hand. Most of the pictures were fairly small so maybe I missed something but the vast majority of RAS handles are pretty much on the front of the carriage. With the motor on my saw on the right side of the carriage it's awkward to try to hold the wood with my right hand and pull with the left. But you can do whatever works for you on your saw.

Charlie Plesums
06-04-2006, 6:10 PM
Jeff, I appreciate your apology about the names, but it did make me look at my RAS owners manual. It explicitly says to hold the work with your left hand, and pull the saw with the right hand. It goes into great detail about holding your right arm stiff, rotating your body, etc. to be prepared for the force of the saw coming forward, and explicitly says to never cut on the push stroke (don't know why, but I don't).

I have used my RAS safely for almost 35 years, but to me it is still the scariest power tool that I use.

Allen Bookout
06-04-2006, 9:04 PM
Jeff,

I also appreicate the apology. Sometimes things do not come across the way they were meant. Happens to all of us.

Allen

lou sansone
06-04-2006, 9:51 PM
back to the original question.

I had one of those craftsman saws and could never keep it square. I have a delta / rockwell turret model now and it is very repeatable. I have not personally used the dewalts, but I have heard that they are also very precise.

For what it is worth, on left hand use of the RAS. Since I am a lefty, it does seem much more natural to use a RAS with the left hand. Maybe some folks prefer to use the right hand.

lou

Thomas Wa
06-05-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm left handed and use my Delta 'Turret' RAS for all kinds of projects, though not necessarily those related to precision woodworking. It's pretty special when a 'lefty' finds a tool designed with them in mind.....;)