PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw update #2

Jeff Horton
06-01-2006, 3:39 PM
The cabinet, the base, motor cover (goose egg) and the floor are painted. No not the shop floor, the saw cabinet floor. This has taken a bit longer than I anticipated. I relearned a few body working tricks that I don't care if I forget. ;) And I spent a lot of time watching paint dry too.

Of course this saw was cosmetically in horrible shape! Before photos (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36619&highlight=unisaw) and you can see the mating shaper in the background. I didn't get the cabinet perfect. Since this is a user saw, not something for display I didn't try to go back and fill every little pit, but I did get most of them. It looks perfect from 5 feet back and unless someone is going to get on their hands and knee's you not going to see the flaws.

I decided to paint the floor of the saw flat black. Mainly because I ran out of the gray :rolleyes: and it doesn't show anyway. I was going to repaint all the inard' pieces but after working so long on the cabinet I realized that I am going to use this saw and that nothing inside shows anyway. The paint is in good shape on all the pieces. I have just decided to tackle any rusty spots, spot paint them for protection and run with it. I have to keep reminding myself unlike the DeWalt RAS most of this saw doesn't show.

Next step (maybe tonight) is start assembling some of the parts!

Jerry Strojny
06-01-2006, 3:50 PM
I love watching the old iron come back to life!! It's lookin great. It also makes me envious that you can find these old machines so easy. I really wish I had one...I think I would enjoy the rebuild too. Keep the pics coming....

Jeff Horton
06-01-2006, 5:57 PM
... It also makes me envious that you can find these old machines so easy. ....

Easy?? I looked for that DeWalt RAS for over a year before I found one in my area and at a price I would pay. I looked for almost that long for an old jointer too. I did stumble into a deal on a whole shop full of tools, including this saw. But I sure wouldn't call it easy.

Just get the word out and keep your ear to the ground!

tod evans
06-01-2006, 6:12 PM
lookin` good jeff!