PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted

Shelley Bolster
06-01-2006, 3:31 PM
The message is gone, so am I

Dan Stuewe
06-01-2006, 3:53 PM
My wife has started her own company making jewelry. It most defiantly has not taken off yet, but one thing that she is very hopeful about is being involved in an organization called Business Network, Intl. (BNI). They have local groups all over the world. Any one group has a mix of business owners (doctors, lawyers, sign makers, food, photographers etc.) and can only have one person from any type of business (I don't know how they separate out the businesses). They get together weekly and discuss their business and share ideas. I think it isn't too different than the Better Business Bureau. Anyway, she has pretty much reached a plateau selling jewelry to friends and family and this way she is hoping to meet people outside of our day-to-day lives that will spark the sales.

Helen Gee
06-01-2006, 4:32 PM
Hi Shelley,

Marketing is the key to getting yourself out there into the public's eye. Don't limit yourself to just one designer, if you can, try to get a few to work with, see who you feel comfortable working with since everyone has their own style and clients. This will be good for yourself since it'll help push you to do things you probably never thought of doing (in terms of woodworking and designing).

If you are designing high end furniture, I'm not sure ebay would be the best place to go. Most people on ebay are looking for deals.

Try hitting up consignment furniture stores and see if they will put your furniture in there to sell. At least you can test the market to get feedback.

If you are trying to target a market audience that you do not have locally, then websites will definitely help you. In this day and age, a website is the best way to show off your portfolio without having to stress out about networking by word of mouth. People will still want to see a portfolio, so if you have it online already, you can just point people to the website location. Websites travel much farther than the local community. Along with that, plan on getting some business cards designed for yourself (with your website location).

Networking is key!! Get friends and family to advertise for you as well. Happy/repeat customers too!!

It may sound weird, but if you can get some repeat customers, hit up Costco. They tend to support local folks and you may be able to get yourself in there during one of their showcase weekends. If your stuff sells during those weekends, they may end up selling your stuff on a contract basis.

Hope that helps :)

Ian Barley
06-01-2006, 4:40 PM
Shelley

Some thoughts - my market is quite different to yours so extract from this as you will. We are, however, both aiming at selling to human beings so there should be at least some value.

I had wanted to work for myself for many years and tried several differnet things from picture framing to IT consultancy (I was actually better qualified for the latter and enjoyed the former more). These told me that I did not want to work to custom - I wanted a product. The reason is simple - I was rubbish at charging adequately for my time and new that the product route would enable me to fix a price based on reality and stick to it. I then decided that I wanted something that was "one-shot". I know my own personality well enough to know that short scale relationships with customers work better. I wanted a reasonably big sale which took place once or twice with each customer and then let me move on and find new customers. My product (Adirondack Chairs) may be ten a penny in North America but are a bit of a speciality over here. Kinda like your Transformer Furniture - but less clever. - SO -
Ian's rule number 1 - sell a product not a service

I quickly realised that I was not gonna make these things in their thousands so I worked out how many I could make and the cost of making each one. I then decided what I want to make from the business and divided that number by the income I required and added on the costs. That gave me a minimum price. ($1000 total income required/10 Units manufactured=$100+cost selling price) If the market won't stand that you are wasting your energy.
Ian's Rule number 2 - Make sure that the price is enough to satusfyyour desire

Looking at the competition that was in my market I decided that I needed to sell direct because there wasn't enough in the product for me and a retailer to make a living off it. I still sell 99.9% of my product direct and where a designer makes the purchase they have to add what they want onto my retail price. (If they want to earn £50 then they have to charge my price plus £50)
Ian's Rule number 3 - The fewer people at the party the bigger the slice of cake

If I am gonna go direct I have to make sure people find me. So I built a reasonable website that shows what I was doing and offered people the chance to order them. I got my first sale 1 day after I uploaded the site. About 60% of my business come from or through the web. Spend some time tuning your site for google. Look up "Search Engine Optimization" in Google. Don't chase people searching for "Furniture" - chase "Painted Childrens Furniture" - Smaller audience but better qualified. I also started advertising in magazines - choose titles that reflect your product but don't be frightened to experiment. My best performing magazine is a posh food title. People with disposable income and a taste for quality?
Ian's Rule number 4 - Market, Market, Market

I don't like pushy marketing. I have a rule that I never buy anything from somebody who rings me at home to sell it to me. But I do buy things from people who make it easy for me to find them and tell me clearly what they are selling. Designer friends tell me that my website has too many words and that all that reading will alienate potential customers. I don't want to sell to stupid people so I don't care. Explain what you do and a little of how you do it. Show people pictures but also fill in the gaps with words. Understand what you make and care about it. People are amazed that they are talking to the person who makes the furniture when they order the furniture.
Ian's Rule number 4 - Remember that you are also part of the product.

I could ramble on and shouldn't. In summary - If I were you I would come up with about 6 different pieces and paint them with a girls theme and a boys theme. Take them to some kind of local "Craft Show" and talk to anybody who comes along and listen to what they say and note the questions that they ask (except for the morons who start the conversation with "How much?"). Then build a website that answers those questions and tell people who find the website how to buy from you. Then start solving all the easy problems like making them and shipping them.

I hope that at least some of this makes sense and is useful. If you want to ask anything else feel free to PM me.

Ian

john whittaker
06-01-2006, 4:44 PM
Shelley, I can't remember if I posted on your original link but I definitively remember the transformer idea. It really caught my eye, and I went back to your post several times. I think Tod had some good advice. Look around for local interior decorators, business groups (Like Dan mentioned) maybe a womens business group which is very big in my area. Or how about contacting a local college with a business/marketing school. Maybe a professor could assign this project to his class...to come up with a marketing scheme for "Transformer Furniture". Might get some ideas out of that exercise.

As far as working "for others"...that is just a part of any business when you deal with the public. You will develop a rhythm for dealing with certain requests. Heck...your an artist, so just act a little aloof and learn how to say no to folks you don't want to deal with and "maybe" to the ones you can work with.:)

You already have the talent and knowhow...and the idea seems to be unique enough that it should be very sell-able. Your market would be high end so you should be able to charge enough to make it worth your time. Folks will be buying these for there precious little children or grandchildren which is also a higher end market.

I guess I'm not much help in the marketing realm but I wanted to encourage you to go for it if it's something you want. I think the idea is very sound. It sure caught my eye.

Best of luck.

tod evans
06-01-2006, 5:26 PM
i`m only able to base my opinion on what`s worked for me so take it with a shot of tequila.......e-bay is for bargain hunters stay away! online storefronts are strictly for folks doing resale, unpack it-throw it in another box and send it off for x dollars. but.......an online presence gives you credibility so having a web page or site is a good idea, just never price your work online!
interior designers are the spawn of h#ll but are a necessarry evil for folks who build cool stuff and want to market it to the upper end so ya` gotta learn to deal with `em on mutually agreeable terms. one thing i insist on is that the client be aware of who gets how much of their money, if the designer wants to pocket 500 bucks on a piece i charge 1500 for then the client must know that the 500 is on top of my price. all color choices must be signed for by the designer, changes are extra and designers change their minds frequently where color is concerned! so get it in writing...
designers don`t give a whit about mortise-n-tennon joints, they can see dovetails but unless you physically show them the difference between handcuts and machine cuts they`re by and large indifferent, besides even the tai/chi schlock on their showroom floor has "dovetails"...
price your work fairly, figure your hourly wage, materials + a small mark-up and most importantly profit, the profit is shop money tools, electric ect. and don`t be ashamed to spell out what every aspect costs more for the client than the designer.
finally be realistic about timeframes, stuff happens, tools break material trucks get wrecked ect. give yourself plenty of time to deliver better early than late.
employees? how ya` gonna pay `em? sell stuff first and see how you like paying a designer more commision than you clear for a couple weeks work.. there is your first employee the designer..
.02 tod

Don Baer
06-01-2006, 5:36 PM
Shelley,
I am looking at putting a few pieces in some of these consignment stores in some high end areas as samples, of course the samples are for sale but, I will make brochures available that these pieces can be made in various other woods and sizes as a special order. I think that I'll still be out consignment fees for the commision pieces but thats just the cost of doing business and will help pay for the floorspace that I would be using. Just my thoughts. At least the potential client has a chance to see the workmanship. The incentive to the store owner is that he will still make some money without tying up as much floor space.

Bob Childress
06-01-2006, 5:44 PM
Shelley,

Beautiful pieces and a great idea! If you feel the urge to have a go at a business, go for it. Just keep in mind that most business is 80% Marketing and 20% product. If it weren't, there would not be so many lousy products still in the marketplace.

That said, think about this:

Ian had some very sound ideas. Especially the craft show. That, in effect, would be your market research and help you define your "line." Of course, take both Before and After prototypes so people will understand the concept.
At a low volume (how many pieces CAN you make in a week?) you are better served addressing the higher end of the market. But . . . (there's always a BUT) I believe your challenge will be, unlike some others who have made observations here, actually selling the "concept" to the high end market. Why? Think about it--the high end market does not care whether the furniture transforms or not--they just buy new when this one is outgrown. The high end market couldn't be bothered to repaint a chest or wardrobe. They might buy it as quality custom children's furniture, but not necessarily as a "Transformer."
The mid-market, however, would appreciate both the quality of your construction and the frugality of Transformation. Problem: the mid-market means fixed designs and higher volume.
Therefore, specific marketing models will depend on which market you choose to address and what production quantity you feel comfortable with.Remember that this is perhaps worth what is being charged for it--nothing. But until finally stepping off the train last year, I was a Marketing Consultant to many companies large and small for many years. Each product carries its own unique challenges. You may discover that your urge for an outlet can indeed be satisfied by upscale craft and art shows. Many folks make a decent income (or side income) doing just that. But if you think you are more ambitious, you must first decide which market is really best suited for your product or service and then decide on tactics to address that market.

So I won't further bore our fellow Creekers, I will be pleased to give you more information and ideas using PM. Best of luck.

Again, your work is fantastic.

Julio Navarro
06-02-2006, 11:55 AM
I would be happy to volunteer to design a web site, my wife is a graphic designer and web site designer and would be happy to help.

Julio Navarro
06-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Ive seen a new concepot in marketing pop up recently, the vinyl graphics applied to your car.

Printing shops are offering vinyl 'decals' you apply to your car window or body, You can get real nice graphics too.

I can see custom graphics of your Transformer Cabinets, with a "Diapers to Dorm" logo (make sure you trademark that) I think that the most powerfull selling tool is seeing your cabinets and how attractive they are, and usefull.

Frank Pellow
06-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Shelley, I am happy to see that you are at least considering using this idea to start some kind of a business.

If it were me, I would definately start with a web site and see how far that site and word of mouth got me. There are a lot mouths here at Saw Mill Creek who have been impressed by this furniture.

What sort of prices would you consider charging? I know a lot of recent parents and grandparents who I could poll.

Craig Zettle
06-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Shelley, not to rain on anyones' parade here, but have you ever made any projects for a customer before? I am asking because it is COMPLETELY different than working for family or friends. I can be pretty mouthy with my sister in law when she asks me how the bookcase is coming along, but when an individual that I gave an approx date of delivery to asks the same question while I am in the middle of bringing a broken mortising machine back to life, your hobby that you love starts looking a little less like fun and more like work.
The only reason why I brought this up is because I am living it .
(pics to follow shortly).

Craig

Ian Barley
06-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Shelley, not to rain on anyones' parade here, but have you ever made any projects for a customer before? I am asking because it is COMPLETELY different than working for family or friends. I can be pretty mouthy with my sister in law when she asks me how the bookcase is coming along, but when an individual that I gave an approx date of delivery to asks the same question while I am in the middle of bringing a broken mortising machine back to life, your hobby that you love starts looking a little less like fun and more like work.
The only reason why I brought this up is because I am living it .
(pics to follow shortly).

Craig
Which is precisely why my preference and choice was for making a product which is my design (or at leat my interpretation of a venacular) and made to my specification. Share that specification with potential customers as clearly as you can and be as clear as you can be about delivery dates and their degree of firmness. I have been trying for 5 years now to get supply to exceed demand. It still doesn't. I have twice cancelled a customers order because they got unpleasant about delivery dates. Because I am making a product range I simply sell the one I was making for them to the next customer waiting patiently (both the individuals concerned apologised, got back on the waiting list and one of them has since reordered from me.)

And as far as designers being the only way to sell high end - I just don't buy it. My customer list includes at least one billionaire (probably two) and several multi-millionaires, all of whom I have dealt with directly, and yes they waited for delivery just like everybody else.

Jim Becker
06-02-2006, 3:15 PM
Shelley, not to rain on anyones' parade here, but have you ever made any projects for a customer before?

Shelley is already a "pro" woodworker...and has a shop to die for...

Ken Fitzgerald
06-02-2006, 3:34 PM
Yeah..........I'd consider Shelley a pro! I vaguely remember a recent cabinet job?

Shelley Bolster
06-02-2006, 4:37 PM

Marty Walsh
06-02-2006, 4:52 PM
Shelley,

I just wanted to thank you for asking your question. It's been a great catalyst, prompting a very valuable brain dump from the many knowledgeable minds here.

Oh, and I really like your work. I can understand people being reluctant to paint over your design. I'd be worried that my paint job wouldn't be up to the standard of the piece!

Keep up the great work, and good luck in your venture!

- Marty -

tod evans
06-02-2006, 4:59 PM
shelley, as to why not to put pricing on the net; if you market through designers, or even word of mouth if your prices are public knowledge then you`ll be expected to "kick" the designer or person refering you work monies out of your pocket. a friend or family member is usually happy with a bottle of booze or dinner but customers who provide referals or designers are best compensated with cash under the table.

as to marketing to the "upper end"; the clients you should look for are the young lawyers or doctors who are starting families, even young business professionals. i`ve found that most folks, whether they wear cotton or silk panties, try to be frugal and spend wisely. the client probably wouldn`t repaint the furniture themselves but knowing you would for a fraction of new price down the road is just good sence. plus by offering this service you`ll get them back in your door a few years and a few bucks later.....

again just my .02 tod

[edit] designers deal with all types of folks from the truly wealthy to those just getting started. so as to "the value" of your furniture, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it`s up to the designer to sell your piece for whatever amount of commision they want to make above and beyond your price. they do this every day but you`ll notice what they offer isn`t available online or in the department store for folks to price shop. keep this in mind when you choose a marketing venue....02 tod

Helen Gee
06-02-2006, 5:04 PM
I agree with Tod. also, you do not want to show all your cards ;) If you really want to put some prices up, how about some simpler pieces where it's easier for you to crank out and list some sample prices?

I think it's also hard to just put a price on something that you work so hard to design. Every customer will have different requirments. Different designs, different wood, different timelines, etc :). I don't think it'd be fair to yourself to just slap a price on and say that's the price ;) A lot of times customers will just sneak in little things here and there like you mentioned and just go beyond the scope of the outlined work. Just be firm and tell them upfront (not along the way) if they want extra blah blah blah, they will be charged accordingly so then both of ya'll have your expectations set correctly :p .

Shelley Bolster
06-02-2006, 5:08 PM

Dan Stuewe
06-02-2006, 5:12 PM
I know I have to learn to market but I am just not of the personality type to market myself……that is something I guess I will have to work at.

My wife feels the same as you. But she has found that talking to people about something she loves and is passionate about comes much more naturally.

Steve Clardy
06-02-2006, 5:14 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, but thought I would mention.
A box of 1000 nice business cards don't cost a lot.

Drop 2-3 everywhere you go
Wood supply
Restaurants, on the pay counter.
Tool supply
etc etc.

Thats about all I do.
Then I buy nice, quality engraved pens, with my name, phone, etc.
I give those out when jobs are completed, even sometimes when just bidding a job.

Shelley Bolster
06-02-2006, 5:16 PM

Dan Larson
06-02-2006, 5:18 PM
The higher-end clientele don’t care if they have the furniture for year as they can in fact, afford to toss it and get new stuff on a whim. So……I whole heartedly agree that the “Transformer” aspect of this furniture will not be a consideration to them.

Shelley, as Ian suggests, try to find upscale customers who have an eye for quality. You shouldn't assume that your "Transformer" idea won't interest the upscale crowd. Sure wealthy people can afford to buy furniture as often as they like, but I think there are many who would prefer not to for various reasons. Some may just be frugal, others may not have the time to shop for new furniture on a regular basis, and some may be conservation minded (remember that there are plenty of people who choose to cruise around in a Toyota Prius who could easily afford to pump gas into a Hummer!) True that I am referring to a niche segment of the upscale market, but I think it's a niche that you could do well in. I guess the real challenge will be in finding those customers.

I do wish you well in this project, though. I think you've got a great idea, and clearly have the talent to make it happpen!

Dan

Don Baer
06-02-2006, 6:04 PM
Shelley,
If I may I'd like to make a few comments on pricing. Don't sell yourself short. You are not trying to compete with a production piece of furniture. You are going to be making unique, one of a kind pieces. To price them on a time and material basis would in my opinion be a mistake.
What your clients are paying for is the craftmenship that you are offering and that is added value. Of course you have to be reasonable but a dresser like this one from Ikea

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/25866_PE088403_S4.jpg

would cost $199 usd.

I made a similar one out of OAK and have been told that I could charge around $750-$1000.. Based on a T&M method the price would be somewhere around $600 if I charge my time at $25/hr.

the remainder of the $$ is because it is the added value of being hand crafted. I hope this makes sense.

LOML saw a computer center she want for her office in an Ikea add. She showed it to me and after I added up the pieces from the add it would come to over $1200. I figured the material out and using hardwood and no plywood I can make the pieces for between $250 and $300 . I would think that a reasonable price if I wasn't married to my client would be over $3000. I hope this makes sense.

Ian Barley
06-02-2006, 6:46 PM
...I know I have to learn to market but I am just not of the personality type to market myself……that is something I guess I will have to work at...

Too right. Marketing gets a bad name. There are too many pushy organisations that use marketing as a euphemism for hard sales. It isn't. I have never knowingly influenced somebody who was wavering into buying my products. When a customer has come back looking for something I don't do I have helped them to go to others to find it. I consider that marketing consists of
1- Identifying the places were people who might be interested in what you are doing congregate.
2 - Making it easy and interesting for them to find out that they might be interested in you.
3 - Dealing efficiently and honestly with their requests for information and advice.
None of these is pushy. None of them is intrusive. None of them is embarassing. All of them are marketing.

..Now, other than paying and arm and a leg for an advertisement….the trick is how to get into one?
Magazines, by and large, are very keen to feature new products that may be of interest to their readers. Journalists and editors are faced every day with the tyranny of the blank page and are always looking for an EASY way to fill that space. If (when!!) you decide to go ahead the first thing is to get the webspace up and the second is to cut a CD with some high quality images on it and send it with a short resume of what you are doing to a bunch of magazines that feature products that your customer group might buy. Then be friendly and accessible. Magazines live on deadlines. If you are the person who can provide them with a high res image that lets them fill a space by email at 4pm on a friday afternoon then yours is the image that will appear.

I also now agree that one who builds is in fact part of the product. I used to try to hide the fact that I was in fact a woman….or at the very least, downplay it but several have told me to play it up and use it. I kinda of consider it taking an unfair advantage over men doing the same thing……being somewhat a novelty and all I will probably be remembered sooner than most guys just because of the “shock” factor for most. On the flip side however, most still don’t trust a woman to be knowledgeable enough...
Don't downplay, don't upplay - it is a statement of fact and should be presented as matter of fact. There is no unfair advantage in business. Only advantage or disadvantage. Don't make a fuss about it. You are a fully competent (talented) woodworker with a well designed product line. Doesn't matter if you are martian after that. Anybody who doesn't "trust a woman..." is an oaf and doesn't deserve the right to own your products so can be ignored.

OK boss - now it is your turn. Like always, you say it like it is and you have real life experience to base you opinions on. I need to ask a couple of questions (you are used to that one) of you though. Why don’t you think one should price their products online....
I can see Tods point completely for custom designs and if you know that there is gonna be a designer involved BUT my approach is exactly the opposite. Pricing is clear and fixed but so are the designs. I suspect that if you are good at it custom work is more fun and more financially rewarding. If you are not good at it (like me) it can be miserable and poorly rewarded. To some extent that is one of the fundamental decisions about your business model. When I had a real job I worked in a software house that pushed customisation and service income and another that took a shrink wrap approach. One sold 10's of systems for 100,000 plus numbers , the other sold 10's of thousands of systems for 100 plus numbers. I was just more comfortable with the shrink wrapped approach.

Bob…….you touched on something I have thought about a lot. The higher-end clientele don’t care if they have the furniture for year as they can in fact, afford to toss it and get new stuff on a whim. So……I whole heartedly agree that the “Transformer” aspect of this furniture will not be a consideration to them...
But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't promote it as part of your product. How many people take their 4WD vehicle mud plugging? Whether they ever do it the idea will still catch their imagination.

Oh man Frank…….Not much of one but it will cover the cost of materials and a wage of about $20.00 an hour....
And advertising? And utilities? And Insurance? (This is CHILDRENS furniture!). And depreciation on your machinery? And...
If you do not cover these things you are buying furniture for these people. That might be fun if its your family but do you wanna do it for strangers?
I have to pay rent for my workshop. About £30 (over 10% of the price) of each chair I sell is rent. About £2 is insurance. About £10 goes on a box and packaging. Another £25+ is depreciation. I don't know but would guess that you need to double the number you gave Frank.

Shelley - you have a good idea and a good product and I suspect that you could make a nice income from it if you can get the price etc right. As far as I can see you have the advantage of being able to make a slow start. I did. I spent about 2 years building chairs evenings and weekends until I was happy that I had the basics right. Big advantages. Less fear of falling. Able to try things without needing them to pay off. I think you have the same opportunity. I think you should start approaching this "as if" you were already in business and take it up from there.

Again a ramble for which I apologise to the disinterested.

Dan Oliphant
06-02-2006, 7:06 PM
For the most part, I agree with Tod Evens, never post your pricing for a given item on your web site. I did when I first got started, what a mistake!!!!!
After less than a month, material costs were starting to eat into my overall profit margin. Unfortunatly I was not updating my web site every month, so after a few months, a customer wanted an item from my portfolio, at the price posted, boy did I loss money!!!

In my opinion, use a web site as your portfolio, any business it generates is extra bonus.

Working through an interior designer(s) is a very good suggestion, They will have design input at times because they will be talking with the customer, not you. They will also come to you and ask if you can make such in such for this much money because their customer has a budget for (X) dollars.

Good luck

Frank Pellow
06-02-2006, 8:59 PM
And as far as designers being the only way to sell high end - I just don't buy it. My customer list includes at least one billionaire (probably two) and several multi-millionaires, all of whom I have dealt with directly, and yes they waited for delivery just like everybody else.
For what it might be worth, I definately don't buy it either. I was very surprised when I read this assertion by Tod.

Dan Oliphant
06-02-2006, 9:19 PM
Frank/Ian,
By far, the majority of customers are going to search out an interior designer to handle custom furniture or custom anything that is related to the interior of their house. That doesn't mean "all" high end clients, it only means "most" high end clients.
I can't speak for your location or Ians' location, only my own observations in the southern california areas.

Jim Becker
06-02-2006, 9:22 PM
Now, can I make it for that and still make a profit??? Not much of one but it will cover the cost of materials and a wage of about $20.00 an hour.

Umm...not even close to what you should be charging or "realizing" for your time, Shelley. Not even close. Really.

Frank Pellow
06-02-2006, 9:27 PM
Oh man Frank…….you had to come up with the hard question……..OK - I real quick figure on the 7 drawer dresser.(remembering it is constructed like a normal piece with dovetails and web frames etc) I am taking a shot at saying around $1,200.00 after the hand painting. I have spent hour after hour the last few weeks scouring the internet for sites that have similar items….none I have found so far that are Transformable….and that is a pretty reasonable price. Now, can I make it for that and still make a profit??? Not much of one but it will cover the cost of materials and a wage of about $20.00 an hour. It was a little hard to gage the hours per piece because I was building the whole set - the dresser, two wardrobes, desk, light bridge………then having to paint them white as they might look as the After before even getting to the Before. (which of course would be all I would be doing for a customer) Like I said - that is just a shot……I really need to sit down and do some serious figuring before I commit to that price but I will tell you, I have a habit of under pricing any custom work I have done for others…….

Canadian or US dollars? (of course, the way things are going they will soon be at par ;) )

What about shipping?

By the way, that seems like a reasonable price to me. I will ask some (non-woodworking) friends what they think.

Frank Pellow
06-02-2006, 9:45 PM
We seem to be interpreting this in two different ways.

(1) A limited set of bedroom furniture items which is offered in a limited number of “themes”.

(2) Customized furniture.

Which is it Shelley?

If it is the former, I would think that you could put your prices on the WEB (as long as you remembered to update them when appropriate). Also, I would think that you could sell the furniture without having to “line up” designers.

Shelley Bolster
06-02-2006, 11:02 PM

Harvey Chute
06-03-2006, 1:49 AM
Shelley, thanks for starting this thread, it's been a fascinating education.

I think Ian's advice about marketing, and website design, is dead-on.

This may be down the road for you, but an effective way to generate traffic to a small-business website is something you're doing already - being active and helpful in forums like this. Even though most Creekers would rather build than buy, they have their own network of relatives and friends who are all potential customers. It's one of the many benefits of being in an online community like SMC.

There are no doubt forums with other topics - home decorating perhaps - where the occasional post from you would also result in spikes in traffic to your website.

Not that you ever want to be "selling" in these or other forums. But I know when I read a compelling post, I'll occasionally browse to the poster's website, just to see what other ideas/wisdom/service/products are offered there.

- Harvey

PS speaking of "down the road", I grew up in Lytton BC - - so I know what you mean about not having a huge client base in small-town interior BC..!

Aurelio Bolognesi
06-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi Shelley,

New guy here !
What has worked well for me are shows, juried shows or art festivals.
I exhibit twice a year at the Paradise City Art Festival www.paradisecityarts.com That keeps me busy all year.
As far as design is concerned, my motto is: if I don't design it, I don't build it !
Good luck.

A.B.

Frank Pellow
06-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Aurelio, first of all, I would like to welcome you to Saw Mill Creek.

Secondly I would like to congratulate you on your simple marketing model that works for you. I followed the link to the show but could not find any of your work shown there. Do you have a link where we can see your work. If so, please post it.

Gail O'Rourke
06-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi Shelley,

I am not sure how much I can add to this excellent thread of ideas. But, there are lots of advertising that can be done for free. Never underestimate word of mouth, if you are doing something new, you need to talk about it to everyone, they know you do WW - and if you have talked about it in the past - it may not be a topic of conversation. Many of my friends have no idea what projects I am working on...

Also, press release "Local business introduces new line of Custom Furniture" and then write up the article exactly how you would like it printed with pictures, keeping it short and clear. Then email it out to all of the papers in the area. I saw posted in a thread about filling up space - it is there to fill. But, it is easier for them to use if it is ready - if they are interested in hearing more of the story - then they will call you for an interview. Also, use the same approach with magazines - parenting mags etc.

For marketing - use what you have - discuss you love of ww - your love of your grandchildren - bring your personality into the pieces - you are selling "you" as much as selling your pieces...and don't sell yourself short- keep your prices up.

Good luck.

Wes Bischel
06-03-2006, 1:13 PM
Shelley,
I’ve been thinking about your products and questions a lot lately. They take me back to my days not so long ago when I was working full time in product development. Something that came to mind was one of the big business consultants (sorry can’t remember which one) has different examples of scenarios for manufacturing. These scenarios directly impact the design as well as the profitability of the goods produced. The one which comes to mind with your “custom” furniture is “mass customization” to paraphrase; it is to keep ALL customization out of the manufacturing flow until the last few steps. This allows the majority of the product to be produced in a mass production mode, and the custom touch added at the last minute prior to being boxed and shipped. The further “upstream” the customization takes place, the more steps in the manufacturing of a piece that must be changed to accommodate that custom piece.

Consider your pieces – if the carcass’ are standard in size shape etc, the doors are standard, drawers are standard. The customization comes in the trim configuration, decorative details, paint (finish) and roof. This would allow you some flexibility in manufacturing – you could keep this part of manufacturing in house, or farm it out to a production shop – all depending on the volume you have coming in. It would also allow you to take advantage of manufacturing efficiencies of the production house without sacrificing the unique aspects of your product. Naturally this is only true if you have a production facility nearby that will work with you and has the quality of product you desire – I forget about that when we have so many cabinet/furniture shops in my area. Even if you would never want to send any work out, the scenario simplifies the details you need to keep track of, and would allow you to build parts and pieces for stocking – which minimizes your set-ups and allows your shop to run more efficiently.

Anyhow, be that as it may, some other things to consider – just ideas – not fully thought through concepts. Some make a bit of sense, some are just ramblings – but I add them just in case they spark something.
1) Could the shelves actually form the roofline? Maybe not the peak areas, but the roof itself. It would reduce the material needed for each piece, and solve the shelf storage issue.
2) Would silk screening or some other decorative technique (like the vinyl mentioned online) be appropriate for your business model? These types of processes are typically used to ensure quality and speed in manufacturing. They can look “hand painted” if that is the artwork reproduced on the screens. Most people don’t realize that many items they think are painted by hand are actually made by silk screen or some other printing technology. Screens are cheap and can be made in house if desired, or usually at local silk screening places.
3) Instead of having the client repaint the piece, would appliqués be appropriate – whether they are wood/hardboard or even a vinyl with the designs painted on the appliqué - which could be removed at a later date. I have been astonished to find how unhandy many people are with a paint brush.
4) Could the crown molding be incorporated into the design as an architectural cornice feature that works with the roof? (but still a piece of the carcass) This would eliminate the need to store it and have the customer install it at a later date. I think the pieces you have shown could incorporate the crown without a compromise to the overall design.
5) Whatever you do for a website, make sure it is transferable to a CD. One that can be sent out to potential customers. We have used the little credit card sized CD’s in the past for promotions. They are nice because they can go in an envelope and require only a stamp versus regular CD’s which require special postage. But then again, I would suspect your targeted client will have internet access – so maybe never mind.
6) Consider placing pieces in high quality furniture stores. In our area the better stores like to mix “local artists/craftspeople” work in with the major brands to differentiate themselves from the competition. Just remember, typically you will only be able to place in one store in each regional market – otherwise it defeats their advantage.
7) I realize it goes against your business scenario, but I keep thinking knock down – part because I designed for mass production, and part as a solution to your “regional” predicament. I know case goods are shipped all around the country everyday; it’s just an additional expense “shipping air” as we used to say. Again, it goes against your concept, and would put you in direct competition with the KD volume guys – someplace you don’t want to be!

I think there has been a great amount of good info posted, hopefully this will add to your thoughts, not distract or detract from them.

Wes

tod evans
06-04-2006, 8:37 AM
For what it might be worth, I definately don't buy it either. I was very surprised when I read this assertion by Tod.

frank,
sorry for not going into more detail with my suggestions:o , i too live in a small town but have lived and worked in medium sized towns in the past and have found the interior designers to provide a "foot in the door" if you will. not only for the "elite" in town but for the up-n-comming crowd. lots of the young couples who are professionals don`t really socialize in the same circles i do although it`s funny how often we find our paths have crossed inadvertantly....
back to the designers, not only can they provide a foot in the door but just by association give you as a builder instant creditability with someone who has never seen or heard of you, you`re the "professional" that the trusted designer brings into the picture.
i suppose a close analogy to the business world be the headhunter, you may be an honest to goodness marketing guru but the ceo of xyz corperation doesn`t know you from adam untill the headhunter he`s used to dealing with drops your portfolio on his desk and puts in a good word......all of a sudden your status with the ceo has risin from joe schmuk to a possible asset to the company.
for some reason i don`t think shelley spends her free time rubbing elbows with the young up-n-comming professionals at the politically correct country club so a well tied designer could very well do more for promoting her business than any amount of advertising?
at least that`s how i`ve found the ball to bounce here in the sticks...02 tod

Frank Pellow
06-04-2006, 9:11 AM
Tod , thanks for the explanation. Now I understand, and it mighjt be the right thing for Shelley to attempt.

I have not had good experiences with either designers or headhunters, so I would definately not go that route myself.

Ian Barley
06-04-2006, 11:25 AM
I think Frank's earlier question is exactly the right starting point and splits the line between my view on designers and Tod's. If you want to go custom then I am sure that tame designers are the way to go and do all that Tod suggests. If you want to go with a product line , even a customised product line, then they do not make any real difference based on my experience.

tod evans
06-04-2006, 11:29 AM
I think Frank's earlier question is exactly the right starting point and splits the line between my view on designers and Tod's. If you want to go custom then I am sure that tame designers are the way to go and do all that Tod suggests. If you want to go with a product line , even a customised product line, then they do not make any real difference based on my experience.

you`ve hit the nail on the head ian! for "off the shelf" items there is no need or reason to employ the services of a designer...02 tod