PDA

View Full Version : Septic System Question (Woodworking Related)

Bill Arnold
06-01-2006, 11:51 AM
The house we're buying in Georgia has a septic system. I know it's critical to keep the proper balance of whatever in the system, so what do you do when you wash out brushes, clean up glue rags or whatever?

Steve Clardy
06-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Depends on whats going down the drain to the septic. We too have septics, two of them.

All water based stuff goes down the drain. All chemical, oil, lacquer, Mineral spirits, go into a 55 gallon drum with my used oil, which gets burned in my woodstove. [ I have a dripper system to burn it so I don't dump it outside.]
EPA would rather see it burned that dumped out, which I will not dump it out.

Doyle Alley
06-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Only good, biodegradable stuff goes down my septic tank. Non biodegradable chemicals like paint thinner, etc. just get dumped on the ground. In the deep south, where septic systems don't hibernate during the winter, you should only need to pump your tank every 10 years or so. Which reminds me - mine is on it's 11th year so its about time to call the honey wagon.

Lee Schierer
06-01-2006, 12:56 PM
We have a spetic system for our house. Whwn we moved in it was barely functional. We had it pumped and it still could barely handle a family of four. While looking into the situation a plumber recommended a product called Bio Sure. The required amount for the treatment seemed expensive, but was a drop in the tank compared to the cost of replacing the system so we tried it. We treated the tank per the instructions on the product. In about a month the septic started working so much better that we never had to worry about it or about having extra people in the house and has worked just fine for over 15 years. I would put a couple of tablespoons of the Bio Sure down the drain once or twice a month as I remembered to do it. We haven't had a clogged drain in the house in that same time frame. Even our dishwasher goes into the septic. We just needed to have it pumped this past month (Yeah I know the septic tank pumpers tell you to do it every four years). I treated it again with Bio Sure and the drains will continue to get their monthly dose.

Any chemical (soap, bleach, solvent, etc.) you put down the drain is hard on the bacteria in the tank. If they die or don't work well you will have problems. Keeping the bacteria levels high helps break down the stuff in the tank.

Roger Fitzsimonds
06-01-2006, 1:08 PM
we have a septic system also a. My wife makes bread so she mixes up a packet of yeast about once a month and pours it into the tank and we have not had a problem since then. I did pump the tank out 3 years ago but that was after 20 years of accumulation. it can only hold so much ya know. Welcome to Georgia Bill.

Roger

Ed Blough
06-01-2006, 1:34 PM
My septic guy says don't put anything down the septic that hasn't passed through you.

I wash my latex paint and water based product brushes and things in a sink that goes to a french drain

All non bio degradable products (oil and chemicals) get put in containers and given to the recycler.

However I will admit at times I do pour used paint thinner and some lacquer thinner on the weeds outside my door.

Ed Blough
06-01-2006, 1:50 PM
I forgot and push the post button too quick.

The real weak link in most septic systems is the drain field. Many things will make it pass the septic without too much harm but they clog the drain field. Once the drain field gets clogged you usually have to dig a new one.

Paint and oil products can go through the septic but they will seal the pores in the drain field, as does cooking oils and grease.

I have been told by my septic people that even an overly rich septic (one where yeasts are added) can cause a microrganisms to be carried out into the drain field where they join together and form an almost rubber like membrane that can keep the drain field from percolating the water through it. Eventually the field will become clogged and it has to be redone. Apparently this is more a problem in the south where ground temp make a perfect habitate for these microrganizms to grow.

Jeff Horton
06-01-2006, 3:49 PM
The house we're buying in Georgia has a septic system. I know it's critical to keep the proper balance of whatever in the system, so what do you do when you wash out brushes, clean up glue rags or whatever?
Run it down the drain. I have lived on septics systems all my life and never had a problem (nor my parents). Granted I don't send lots of thinners or anything like that down the drain. But when we paint we wash the latex paint out in the laundry sink.

Maybe I have been lucky? But I have never had the first problem. I just don't give it a second thought. But I wouldn't dump a half gallon of paint thinner down the drain either.

EDIT: I meant to add that I have never had one pumped out either.

Jerry Olexa
06-01-2006, 4:26 PM
The key for me IMHO is to clean out often. I'm now pumping it out every 2-3 years. Small investment to prevent a potential problem. Prob overkill:)

Greg Sznajdruk
06-01-2006, 6:06 PM
Only good, biodegradable stuff goes down my septic tank. Non biodegradable chemicals like paint thinner, etc. just get dumped on the ground. In the deep south, where septic systems don't hibernate during the winter, you should only need to pump your tank every 10 years or so. Which reminds me - mine is on it's 11th year so its about time to call the honey wagon.

Well I do envy you your lack of cold especially in late October. But snow over your septic tank is a good indicator if it is working. The snow melts off due to heat generated tells me that the system is working. But all things considered it not a great advantage.

Greg

Phil Maddox
06-01-2006, 8:44 PM
Listen to Ed Blough - he knows of what he speaks.

As for the "additives" - there are no studies that prove one way or another that these help. If you think they do, by all means keep doing it. They certainly don't hurt.

There is a common misconception about tanks "filling up". If they are working properly, the solids, through bacterial action, are turned into liquid and this is passed on to the drain field where it is absorbed into the soil.

One good piece of advice: "If it's brown, flush it down, if it's yellow, let it mellow".

Good luck.

Roger Bell
06-01-2006, 9:01 PM
For solvents, I have a large flat tray that holds about a gallon of liquid. I pour solvents into the tray and let them evaporate. Doesnt take long.

Bruce Wrenn
06-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Septic tanks should be pumped out when they contain 35% solids by volume. How do you know? Take out your "trusty sludge judge" and check it. "Sludge judges" were originally designed to check the amount of pulp in fruit juices. Most of you don't own a sludge judge, so HAVE YOUR TANK PUMPED EVERY THREE YEARS. Adjacent county won't allow sale of property, unless owner can produce written proof that tank has been pumped in last three years. The sludge is a combination of solids from wastes, and dead bacteria from digesting sewage. Once excess has migrated to leech field, it creares bio-mass that stops up lines and coats the surface of soil surrounding the septic lines. In a convential (gravity) system, the water only goes a far a a couple of feet, depending on volume of effluent. A pumped system allows the water to be pumped to entire field. Sludge- the colesterol in your septic tank.

Bill Arnold
06-02-2006, 6:36 AM
Thanks for the input, guys!

Frank Fusco
06-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Our septic tank cleaner guy says that the commercial products are the worst thing possible for your tank. While they do liquify many solids, the product of that simply re-solidifies in your leach lines. This creates problems you don't need. Color that comment expensive $$$$. Depending on tank size, family size, etc., pumping should be done about every 5 to 10 years. For maintenance, simply putting one yeast packet down the flusher every month will keep the good bacteria happy. Rule of thumb is one packet for every toilet. Don't put the stuff you mentioned in the system, pour on ground, it will degrade harmlessly.

Shiraz Balolia
06-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Non biodegradable chemicals like paint thinner, etc. just get dumped on the ground.

I am sure you have your reasons for doing this, but there are two serious issues with dumping solvents and oils into the ground:

1) The ground water gets contaminated, so if you have properties nearby that depend on wells, their drinking water will be affected. Not to mention, that streams, lakes etc.. are also affected. Groundwater moves under most properties and contaminations can get carried for many miles.

2) If you ever want to sell the property and this contaminated area is discovered, the cleanup costs and fines could bankrupt the average person.

I am not giving a sermon here, just letting you know the impacts and consequences for dumping chemicals, even on a small scale, into the ground.

Richard Niemiec
06-02-2006, 11:25 AM
I ditto Shiraz, having in the past practiced environmental law, and dealt with groundwater consultants who analyze contamination from solvents, etc., it is a really bad practice to pour such stuff onto the ground. You are poisoning your groundwater, and every little bit is cumulative.

What I do with solvents is let them sit in mason jars and settle out, save and re-use the clear stuff, and put the sludge into an old paint can and once or twice a year take it to the recycling center in my town that handles household hazmat waste. For smaller quantities, I put it in a paint can, put in some paper towels and burn it (figuring air pollution is less an issue than water pollution), but I don't do that often, and usually it involves rags and such used in finishing.

Henry Cavanaugh
06-02-2006, 8:02 PM
I would recommend switching from powered to liquid soap for your dishwasher and washing machine. If I built a house again I would put a seperate( illegal) dry well for my washing machine to keep the soap out. If we only put crap in our system we would never have to empty the tank. Its the other stuff soaps etc that kills the bacteria that stops the aerobic breakdown process.And keep sovents out and add some ensymes (can't spell) like Robic or ones mentioned above. There are many on the market. If you do use powered soap and have back up try some soap digester additive.