PDA

View Full Version : Gun Cabinet w/ Oil-rubbed Bronze Hardware

Carl Hill
06-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Maybe some will remember my problem with matching up all the hardware on the gun cabinet I was building for my niece's husband. Very fun project finished with the help of my brother (father of the niece). We had bought knobs, pulls and hinges in an oil-rubbed bronze finish but couldn't find matching locks. Thanks to your help I was able to get a pretty good match. Used a combination of Birchwood-Casey Brass Black on the locks themselves and paint from a hobby store for the lock surround rings. Here's an example:

Another shot showing the gun butt rests.

The finished product minus the glass we are waiting on.

And a picture of the base detail copied from a piece of furniture my brother has.

Thanks for the help and thanks for looking,
Carl

Ken Fitzgerald
06-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Carl..........Fantastic gun case! I hope you and your brother autographed and dated it! I can see that'll be a family heirloom!

Ken Belisle
06-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Man, that is gorgeous!!! I would love to have something like that, 'cause then I'd need to buy more guns to fill it. :D :D :D

Great piece of work........

Jim Becker
06-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Outstanding work, Carl.

Don Baer
06-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Great Job Carl. My son has been bugging me to make him a gun cabinate. I might borrow your design.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Way cool case.
Really sweet job.

Jason Tuinstra
06-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Carl, very nice work. The qs oak is a real nice feature of the project. It will make a very nice display.

Brian Triplett
06-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Very nice work Carl. May I ask what type of finish you used on the qs oak?

Bruce Page
06-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Simply beautiful! Did you make the crown molding too?

Carl Hill
06-01-2006, 1:37 PM
Thanks guys for the kind comments. Yep Ken, we did sign and date it. Put it on the back of one of the drawers. This was built as a gift for his graduation from dental school. Free root canals the rest of my life.:eek:

Brian, the finish is Minwax Early American under 4 coats of Minwax Wipe on Poly. It's easy and I've had really good results with it. The cabinet is solid quarter sawn oak, no plywood anywhere. Here's a shot of the back side.

Bruce, I did make the crown molding using the table saw method.

And here's the jig for making the gun butt rest.

Mark Hulette
06-01-2006, 2:26 PM
Carl-

Nice work!! Love the QS Oak and the little details. Thanks for sharing the jig for the butt rest- that was going to be my next question.

A man knows what he's doing when he can make his own crown moulding and manage to get a side-by-side refrig in the shop! :D :D :D

Thanks for sharing!

Bruce Page
06-01-2006, 2:48 PM
Carl, I showed your cabinet to a gun enthusiast friend of mine, it took me a ½ hour to clean the drool off of my keyboard!

Marty Walsh
06-01-2006, 3:02 PM
Carl,

Absolutely gorgeous is all I can say!!!

- Marty -

Matthew Springer
06-01-2006, 3:59 PM
Wow, I'm not into guns, but I might be if I had that cabinet to store them in.

Does it come in a yuppie wine mdoel? :)

Lars Thomas
06-01-2006, 4:03 PM
Carl, that is some impressive work. Great job matching the hardware. Thanks for posting. Lars

john whittaker
06-01-2006, 4:23 PM
Carl, you did a great job on every aspect of this piece. Wood matching, finish, hardware and execution all are top notch.

Thanks for sharing. The gun cabinet is inspiring.

Root canals are getting more & more expensive.:D

Chris Dodge
06-01-2006, 6:58 PM
Great work! I love the matching color throughout and the hardware! It is all perfect!

I actually did the same deal just this morning. My youngest son (7 years old) had five cavities and was freaking out when the dentist tried to stab him with the needle. We could not get him to calm down so our dentist refused to do the work.

We could not find any other dentists under our insurance plan that would gas my son and knock him out so I found one outside the plan who will do the job in exchange for a series of shelves for his home. I am still out a bit of money for the supplies since the work would have been free if my dentist had done the work but at least it is better than paying full price to a dentist for five fillings.

Carl Hill
06-01-2006, 9:35 PM
Just kidding about the free root canals Chris. That sure would be nice although I hope to never need them. This really was an enjoyable project as I got to spend a lot of time on it with my brother Randy. Plus, he seems to like to sand, so that was a real plus. We figure we had about 100 hours in the whole project. The glass came in today, so we'll get that installed and deliver the finished goods this weekend. Thanks all for the comments.

Carl

Rick Gibson
06-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Beautiful cabinet. Love to have it here but I would have to find another use for it. If I stored my guns in that here in Canada the government would break in steal my guns and lock me up. :( Maybe if we bolted it to the wall and ran a chain through the sides to lock everything up with. Nah that would ruin it. Getting to spend that time with you bro is a plus. Forget the root canals and go for a yearly cleaning and fillings if needed. Once again beautiful work.

Vaughn McMillan
06-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Great job, Carl. Looks like an instant heirloom to me. :)

- Vaughn