PDA

View Full Version : Wood You Be Mine?

Travis Johnson
06-01-2006, 9:17 AM
Recently the local newspaper did an article about my unique woodworking that I thought some of you would like to see. The reporter did an excellent job of gleaning all the information I gave him and bringing it down to a short article. Between the pictures and text, you get a good insight into how I used my woodworking skills to propose to my wife, get ready for an upcoming baby (due in 5 weeks) and explains why I build so many custom wooden models.

What I really liked was how the article converys the idea that woodworking at a younger age can really enhance your life like no other hobby can. At least I think the article comes across that way.

Here is the link in any case: Villiage Soup: Wood You Be Mine (http://waldo.villagesoup.com/Community/story.cfm?storyID=72493)

Mark Pruitt
06-01-2006, 9:30 AM
Travis, great story, great projects, great everything!!! Congratulations!

Rick de Roque
06-01-2006, 9:35 AM
That, my friend, was a great article. You do wonderful work. It is interesting how woodworking can take us in many directions. Some like flat work, some lathe, some very detailed work like yours etc. Congrats on a great write up.

Rick

Ken Fitzgerald
06-01-2006, 9:39 AM
Great story Travis!

Shelley Bolster
06-01-2006, 9:55 AM
Great story Travis! Very cool idea on the proposal. ;) Man - you are way tooooo cheap guy. I know you will probably never get enough to cover the hours you spend on a project but man, you should charge more than what you are now.........your work is definitely worth it.

Rich Torino
06-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Congratulations.....real great work

Michael Stafford
06-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Travis, what a great story and such wonderful work. Congratulations on the unique marriage proposal, the upcoming birth of a child and a terrific article. You should not have any problem building plenty of wooden toys for your child. Congratulations again!:D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Hey Travis, that is really cool, nice to see you don't spend all of your time on the lathe ;) :D

I hope they do a Part II on your spiny stuff.

Cheers!

Jim Becker
06-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Very kewel, Travis!

Bill Arnold
06-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Great story, Travis! Your work is fantastic and it's wonderful to get public recognition like that!

Tim Solley
06-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Great work Travis. I agree that woodworking at a younger age really does enhance your life. I started getting serious about woodworking and putting together my shop when I was 23. I look forward to having decades of fine woodworking ahead of me, rather than starting out later in life.

Congrats on the baby!

Tim

George Robin
06-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Congratulations Travis. Thanks for sharing!
You're right, the article is very well written.

Ted Shrader
06-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Travis -

Congratulations on the article. What a great gift for you and your family on the eve of the new addition.

Ted

Frank Chaffee
06-01-2006, 9:09 PM
Travis,
Given the depth of knowledge and experience you have shared in earlier posts I had gathered that you were a much older man. Frankly, I thought that you were a grandfather spending leisure time with his hobby for the benefit his kid’s kids.

To know that you create these fantastically detailed model/toys for your own children too, gives me much hope for our society.

Congrats on all fronts, Travis.

Frank

Vaughn McMillan
06-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Very cool. Travis. Congrats on the good press, the understanding wife, and the baby on the way.

- Vaughn

Steve Ash
06-02-2006, 7:30 AM
Travis, that is a great story. It's nice how it all ties together, nice work and (bonus) you got the girl!:cool:

Gail O'Rourke
06-02-2006, 7:57 AM
Your wife doesn't have to be a widow - give her some shop space!

Great article, and awesome projects. keep up the good work.

Travis Johnson
06-02-2006, 1:03 PM
Thanks for all the complements. Overall I am quite pleased with the article, but more so that you were impressed. As the saying goes, it is one thing to fool the fans, but to impress the players you skate with, is another form of recognition onto its own.

So far I have heard a lot of positive comments come out of this. Because the community where I live is pretty small, it was nice to get the chance to talk to new people as I go about my daily errands because they recognize me from the paper.

As for the marriage proposal, well he got the numbers a bit mixed up. He said it was in front of a dozen kids. Well actually it was in front of 128 kids, their teachers, their support staff, a few cooks, the janitor... you get the idea. A lot more people than I really wanted there, but it was HER day and it made her smile so it was worth it.

Vaughn McMillan
06-02-2006, 1:44 PM
As for the marriage proposal, well he got the numbers a bit mixed up. He said it was in front of a dozen kids. Well actually it was in front of 128 kids, their teachers, their support staff, a few cooks, the janitor... you get the idea. A lot more people than I really wanted there, but it was HER day and it made her smile so it was worth it. My neice's husband proposed to her at a San Diego Padres game...via the Jumbotron and with TV cameras aimed to record her reaction and show it to all the fans. No pressure whatsoever. :D

Again, bigtime congrats Travis.

- Vaughn

Matthew Dworman
06-02-2006, 1:46 PM
Wow! Pretty cool!

Marty Walsh
06-02-2006, 1:46 PM
Travis,

Great writeup, great work, and kewl proposal idea. But, I'm with Shelly. Your truly nice work is worth WAY more than what you charge.
- Marty -

Bruce Page
06-02-2006, 3:29 PM
Travis, that was a cool article, very well done. Your work is awesome!
Very nice website too!

Jerry Olexa
06-02-2006, 4:29 PM
Travis you are unique and talented (and creative) GREAT JOB AND ARTICLE. tHANKS FOR SHOWING US LESSER mORTALS (excuse caps Pls)

Helen Gee
06-02-2006, 5:14 PM
wow!! Travis, the work is just absolutely beautiful. If my hubby had proposed with that apple, I'd have melted away :eek: Beautiful beautiful work!! congrats on the article :D