PDA

View Full Version : Dust collector???

Chad McAllister
05-31-2006, 11:13 PM
Some of you may know that I recently acquired a Delta Unisaw, Now I need a decent Dust collector to hold me over until I can afford a Cyclone. I'm looking in the 300 dollar range.... and I have been stumped. I see Grizzly has a 2hp bag system for about 295, and a 1hp canister system for 310... Basically all I need is a decent DC that can keep up with this saw, but I also have a "SHOP" which is an attached garage on my house. I'm just looking for some more educated opinions, like I said, I can't afford a cyclone, yet. I just need something to help a bit While I save up, and letting the saw sit idle is not an option!:D

Greg Koch
05-31-2006, 11:35 PM
Chad, here's a good review on the Delta...

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/d50-760rvu.html

I got the little brother, the AP-400 for the same reasons...something to help till I can build a bigger system.

Doyle Alley
06-01-2006, 8:35 AM
I've also been looking at DC's lately. So far, the best small shop value I've seen for the best combination of price and power is the 1 1/2 hp unit from Penn State. It comes standard with 1 micron bags and is in your price range. The other units you mentioned would have to be retrofited at extra cost in order to get the 1 micron bags.

scott spencer
06-01-2006, 8:41 AM
I've had the Griz G1029 for about 4 years and have been happy with it. I know several others who've gotten good service from it too.

http://www.epinions.com/content_148680052356

tod evans
06-01-2006, 8:58 AM
chad, it`s summer so save your money and open the door, hopefully by winter you`ll have saved enough to get a cyclone. the cheap units are hard to resell so you`d just be throwing that money away. 02 tod

Bill Arnold
06-01-2006, 9:01 AM
Ditto on what Doyle said. I've had the 1.5hp Penn State for 6 years and it works fine. After we move to GA, I'll have a larger shop and will upgrade to the 2hp Gorilla system. Might keep the PS for dedicated use on the drum sander.

Julio Navarro
06-01-2006, 9:25 AM
If I may insert a IMHO.

I decided to build the Bill Pentz cyclone right from the begining rather than wait and save up the money to get a ready made one. One of the uninteded benefits was learning so much about metal working, welding, time management and even a great deal of woodworking secrets gleamed right here in the Creek.

I now consider the experiance an education I would never have gotten had I simply bought a new machine.

I cant say that my way is the best. Everyone has to weigh their own expectations and decide but I can tell you you will come away with much, much more than just a cyclone dust collector.

Sorta like the Visa commercial...
sheet metal: $80
welder:$180
misc supplies: $200
information and experiance gained: Priceless

Good luck, and I agree with Todd. 'Good money after bad' if you are planning on getting a bigger machine later.

Scott Parks
06-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Save your money for a cyclone.. For about $400, you can build a cyclone unit.

Used rebuilt 3-5 HP motor, $100
Jet 14" impeller $80, or Clear Vue Impeller $175
Sheet Metal $50
MDF $20
Hardware $15
Power cord/switch $50

Total: $410

Add 6"pvc pipe/fittings $100, and vent outside.

This will outsuck any $300 DC unit you can buy. With some creative engineering and scrounging, you can probably save a little more. You don't need a welder. Just use pop rivits and polyeureathane caulk.

Bart Leetch
06-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Well you could wear a mask & use your shop vac to suck the chips out of the bottom of the Unisaw for awhile & save up for a cyclone. From everything I've read I recommend the Clear-view designed by Bill Pentz or making one as detailed on his web site. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm

Tim Solley
06-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Well, since you just want something to tide you over without spending too much...how about the Harbor Freight 2HP unit? I got mine brand new from the store for $128 with an ad from Woodworkers Journal and a 20% off coupon. It's definitely a diamond in the HF rough.

That will hold you over. You could even upgrade it with a canister and still come out ahead.

Tim

glenn bradley
06-01-2006, 2:36 PM
I also have the AP-400 which is a 1HP, one machine chip collector. In that role I couldn't have been happier. Due to concerns about the errant large chip hitting the aluminum impeller and causing me much grief, I added a seperator. That took the potential 650 CFM down a notch! It now works great for my planer or jointer, just not at the same time, eh?