PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Hole screws strong enough for deck rail?

Hal Flynt
05-31-2006, 5:47 PM
Well I've been thinking:eek: , and that usually leads to questions which then leads to more thinking and questions:( etc., etc.

Are #8 2.5" weather resistant Kreg Pocket Hole screws strong enough to join basically 2x4 rails (horizontal) to 4x4 posts as in a deck railing system? (No glue)

I was going to put a stub (3/4") tenon into a motise in the 4x4 and not sure how to secure it, when I "thought" pocket hole screws through the tenon. Now as I look at it, do I need to cut all those mortises and tenons? In the past, I have toenailed the rails with 16 penny.

Ben Grunow
05-31-2006, 9:27 PM
I have done this but I cheated the pocket hole jig back from the end of the 2 x 4 so the screw had more wood after the head. This means that the step bit will not make a hole through the end grain leaving it up to you whether you want to just drive the screw through the remaining wood or pilot a hole with a longer 1/8" bit. This method also causes the hole to come out of the end of the 2x4 further up (I assume you would drill the holes from the bottom of the 2x4) but that's OK. I also used 4" galvanized screws to get more bite and shear strength on the 4x4. In the past we just pre-drilled a toenail screw from below with a combo countersink/pilot bit and screwed away- maybe easier now that I think of it.

Dave Falkenstein
06-01-2006, 11:47 AM
I build and repair decks in the summer months in our cabin community near Flagstaff, AZ. When building railing, I use 2-1/2 or 3" deck screws to attach the rails to the posts. I predrill a hole at an angle on both sides of the rails, and drive the screws into the rail and post, so that the screw head is recessed into the hole. I think a 2-1/2 inch pocket hole and screw would work just as well. I screw the railing cap into the top rail and posts, which strengthens the assembly, and I install a picket (baluster) at each end of the rails, screwed into the posts and rails. I have never had a failure using these simple butt joints.

Hal Flynt
06-01-2006, 1:34 PM
Thanks Guys, I think I'll give it a try.