PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody scare any Doves this weekend?

Don Farr
09-08-2003, 10:29 AM
September 6th in Georgia was opening day of Dove season. It is always the grand kick off to hunting season. Next weekend is bow season and the next is muzzeloader and so-forth.
I'm not to good of a shotgunner but it's fun to try.

Bobby Hatfield
09-08-2003, 6:43 PM
September 6th in Georgia was opening day of Dove season. It is always the grand kick off to hunting season. Next weekend is bow season and the next is muzzeloader and so-forth.
I'm not to good of a shotgunner but it's fun to try.

Woke up to the pop-pop-pop-pop-pop of the shotguns this morning here in north east Arkansas, a milo field feeding place, close by, was staked out with a few pickup trucks of young guys wanting to shoot something, most, never even pick up the doves they kill.

Don Farr
09-09-2003, 7:09 AM
most, never even pick up the doves they kill.
Hi Bobby, Here in the south we were taught if you kill it, you eat it. (Except for snakes).
I spent 30 minutes Saturday looking for a bird I shot that fell in a wooded area.

Hal Peeler
09-09-2003, 7:42 AM
That's just what we did...scared some doves. I took my 12 year old son on his first dove shoot. (He's quail hunted and deer hunted some though). It was so much fun to watch him try to hit those things. I already knew I couldn't hit them but he thought he'd get all that flew his way. He didn't help his cause any by shooting at birds way way way out of gun range. Not many birds flying on our field though but enough that we had a good time.
Hal

Don Farr
09-09-2003, 7:58 AM
Not many birds flying on our field though but enough that we had a good time.
Hal
Hal, I have heard that from several folks this year. A guy at church goes to a big hunt every year and he said there wasn't 20 shots fired in the first 3 hours.
It is great that you are introducing your son to hunting. I can remember just about every hunt my dad took me on.
I have and 8 year old grandson and I have a .410 that I have been trying to teach him to shoot. He is not showing a lot of interest right now. Maybe later.

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-09-2003, 5:53 PM
I haven't had a chance to get after the Dove's here yet..........too busy with other things..........most of them involve wood spinning around! :D I am looking forward to our Annual Pheasant Hunting Trip to South Dakota in October though. My Dad, an Uncle from Michigan, a few other guys, and I make the annual trek to get after the big birds every year. It is a great time, and there is NOTHING like Pheasant Hunting in South Dakota. Don't get no better than that! :D

Don Farr
09-09-2003, 6:20 PM
That is something that I have never hunted. Man! I wish we had pheasants in Georgia. I have seen many hunts on the satellite dish, but never been on one.
They look a little slower than quail, but real noisy, Like they would scare the heck out of you when they get up.
Sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck. :D