PDA

View Full Version : Compression Chuck

David Fried
05-31-2006, 4:07 PM
Well, another bowl exploded in the jumbo jaws and I decided the time had come to make a compression chuck. I found Bill Grumbine's article and read the postings here.

The first thing I did was rearrange the shop a bit, moving the table saw to give me more room and moving the grinder next to the lathe so I don't have to walk across the shop all the time.

The compression chuck is made from some left over Baltic Birch ply and is about 11 1/2" in diameter (less than my 12" swing - Thanks Bill;) ). The first donut I made has an 8" hole. I have two more started that will have 4" and 6" holes.

To insure I cleared the motor on my Jet 1236 I used t-nuts as Curt Fuller suggested in a previous compression chuck posting. Seems to work like a charm. I bought 1, 1 1/4, and 1 1/2" bolts so I won't have any bolt protruding.

The bowl in the chuck is actually two pieces :mad: just to see how it works. (You can see the crack running from 10 to 4 o'clock. )

Think I'm ready to retire the jumbo jaws:D .

Thanks for looking.

Quinn McCarthy
05-31-2006, 4:39 PM
Looks great Dave!

I have been wanting to make one just like it for a while now. Just need to set aside the time and do it.

Quinn

Ken Fitzgerald
05-31-2006, 4:56 PM
Nice looking compression chuck Dave! They do work well don't they?

Bernie Weishapl
06-01-2006, 12:26 AM
That is a good looking chuck David. I made the same chuck with sizes from 4",5",6", and so on up to 13". There are 10 of them and probably over kill but have found they all work. By the way did you try to epoxy the bowl?