PDA

View Full Version : Wood and leather chest

Jim King
05-31-2006, 3:46 PM
This is a chest I made for our sons wedding. (Finally) It is of Dalmation Caspi and leather. 20 " tall X 18 " wide X 30 " long.

Alain Tellier
05-31-2006, 3:56 PM
Such a beautiful chest you have built! This is actually the first time I see some Dalmation Caspi. That is a neat wood!

Alan DuBoff
05-31-2006, 4:18 PM
That is absolutely stunning! There is no better combination than leather with wood, IMO.

Something I quite admire of the Arts & Crafts period, where leather (lighting fixture straps for instance) were used in combination with wood.

Would you mind describing how you go about that? IOW, do you buy the leather from Tandy, and how you tool it and attach it? Your son will surely keep that and pass it down through your family, a very nice heirloom indeed.

Jim King
05-31-2006, 4:30 PM
Alan: We bought the leather from the local shoe maker on the street corner here in the Amazon of Peru. It is tanned locally. The holes were drilled with a hole saw on the drill press and the round indents just stamped in with a sharpened peice of small pipe. The brass tacks are really only for trim as the leather was put on with rubber cement. The chest its self is of kiln dried 1/2 inch Dalmation Caspi.

John Timberlake
05-31-2006, 4:44 PM
Another great project, Jim. And another wood I have never worked with. A real heirloom for the bride and groom. Love the way the wood and leather work together.

Vaughn McMillan
05-31-2006, 4:56 PM
Super wood (as usual for you, Jim) and a great design and execution.

I guess when you buy something from Amazon, you're not talking about a website, huh? :p And you still get free shipping...bonus! :D

- Vaughn

Jim King
05-31-2006, 5:07 PM
Vaughn: When I talk about buying in the Amazom I mean it because I live here. We live in Iquitos, Peru, the largest city in the world with no road acess 2500 miles up the creek from the ocean.. We dont have much else either.

Vaughn McMillan
05-31-2006, 5:29 PM
Vaughn: When I talk about buying in the Amazom I mean it because I live here. We live in Iquitos, Peru, the largest city in the world with no road acess 2500 miles up the creek from the ocean.. We dont have much else either.
Jim, I guess you didn't see my tongue firmly planted in my cheek when I wrote that. ;) It was definitely meant as a joke...you've got the better "Amazon" if you ask me. I'm envious of your woods and your remote location. I live in the Los Angeles area, and there are some days when moving to the Peruvian jungle has a lot of appeal. :)

- Vaughn

Jerry Strojny
05-31-2006, 5:53 PM
Great looking chest. Leather is one of those materials that is not used enough..IMHO I like to design too.

You get to use the most wonderful types of woods...:)

Vaughn....you crack me up every time.:D