PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Cermark

David Sabot
05-31-2006, 3:28 PM
How long will Cermark, that is mixed with Denatured Alcohol last on the shelf? And what would be the best way to store it? I find myself mixing a few ounces for project then have left over and don't want to throw it away (like throwing gold down the drain).

Dave

Joe Pelonio
05-31-2006, 5:44 PM
I'm the same way. I've had a bottle for close to a year now and just checked it, it seems fine. Cerdec says minimum 6 month shelf life. Just store tightly closed. On the plastic bottle I give it a squeeze as I tighten the cap to eliminate more of the air.

David Sabot
06-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Would mixing a really small batch and putting it in a small nail polish bottle, complete with brush work?

Joe Pelonio
06-01-2006, 11:46 AM
I can't think of any reason not to do that.

Anyone see this, is it a different formula than they are selling at laserbits??

http://cgi.ebay.com/CO2-Laser-Engraving-CerMark-Engraver-Metal-Marking_W0QQitemZ7621186947QQcategoryZ92150QQssPag eNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mike Mackenzie
06-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Joe,

Same stuff different package it is all made by Ferro.

http://www.ferro.com/Our+Products/Glass/Products+and+Markets/CerMark/Products/LMM-6000.htm

Dave Jones
06-01-2006, 2:35 PM
CerMark LMM-14 is what it's labelled as when you buy from ThermMark.com

CerMark LMM-6000 is what it is labelled as when you buy from Ferro.com

Joe Pelonio
06-01-2006, 4:17 PM
So when the seller says "no hazardous shipping fee" it's because he's not going to mention it to the shipper.

Mike Mackenzie
06-01-2006, 4:44 PM
It only applies to the spray cans!

Barbara Sample
06-02-2006, 12:21 PM
I just received some LMM-14 by mistake. I am engraving on sword covers.
It is very liquidy and I thought it would be better to spray it on. It's so much waste. I do not have my air brush setup yet.
I tried to brush it on with a sponge brush, and also sprayed it with a spary can that came with it.
It is leaving an awful residue on the sword. I showed it to the receipriant and he took it home and used a brass polish on it, and told me it was ok, to go ahead with the other swords. (8)
I did another one and took it home to see how it comes out with brass cleaner and it didn't look up to the standard that I want.
I am trying to order more cermark as we speak (the paste) but wonder if anyone else has had this problem.
I can't be using this stuff if it is leaving marks on the piece.
Any suggestions will be helpful. Right now, I am not feeling too good about handing these swords over to the guy with them looking like this.
Barb