PDA

View Full Version : K3 or Super Kit?

Maurice Ungaro
05-31-2006, 7:03 AM
Hoping to capitalize on the Highland Hardware 20% off sale, Im contemplating a Kreg K3 system. Question is, will the Super kit containing bench clamp and DVD offer me that much more?

Matt Moore
05-31-2006, 8:10 AM
I am not sure I would care about the DVD but I am now wanted the bench clamp. If you are planning to do face frames and other similar work, I think the bench clamp would be worth it.

It does depend on the price though separate vs package deal. If the DVD is essencialy free, then I would say yes.

Mark Pruitt
05-31-2006, 8:51 AM
I would definitely go with the Super Kit. It includes a Bench Klamp and a Corner Clamp; those two items alone make the Super Kit the better value. The other extras are icing on the cake.

rick fulton
05-31-2006, 8:52 AM
Maurice-

I agree with Matt. I bought the K3 Master, but could sometimes use the extra clamps from the Super kit. The Super also has an extra bit. I watched the Kreg rep demo it at Rockler. Looked pretty straight forward, but the DVD may have tips on unique uses for the jig, couldn't hurt.

It seems like a lot of money for some plastic and clamps, but it sure beats the daylights out of my self made wood (ipe) pocket hole jig in accuracy, repeatability, and speed of set-up.

rick

Rob Bodenschatz
05-31-2006, 10:07 AM
How do you get that 20% off? I can't see it anywhere on their site. Do you need to be on their mailing list?

Chuck Saunders
05-31-2006, 10:35 AM
from the e-mail

For 3 days only receive 20% off any single, <script><!-- D(["mb","
\nregularly-priced, non-power tool, instock item!

\nOffer valid May 29th, 30th & 31st!

\nJust enter code 052906 in the Special Instructions field on your next Internet order to receive this special offer, or present this printed email in our store at 1045 N. Highland Ave. NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30306.
\n
\nOffer excludes sale & clearance merchandise, power tools, Leigh Jigs and special order items. Not to be combined with any other offer, sale or quantity discounts. No adjustments on prior sales. This is a one time offer only. Offer expires May 31, 2006.
</td></tr></tbody></table>\n<table cellspacing\u003d\"0\" cellpadding\u003d\"3\" width\u003d\"800\" border\u003d\"0\">\n<tbody>\n<tr bgcolor\u003d\"#660000\">\n<td height\u003d\"25\">\nVisit Us at www.highlandwoodworking.com (http://sawmillcreek.org/)\n
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></div></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr>\n<tr bgcolor\u003d\"#e5db97\">\n<td colspan\u003d\"2\" height\u003d\"21\">\n1045 N. Highland Ave. NE
\nAtlanta, Georgia 30306
\n800.241.6748
\n
\nCopyright © 2006 Highland Woodworking, Inc.
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></div>\n\n\n

<table width\u003d\"100%\" border\u003d\"0\" cellspacing\u003d\"0\" cellpadding\u003d\"1\">\n <tr>\n <td bgcolor\u003d\"#333333\"><table width\u003d\"100%\" border\u003d\"0\" cellpadding\u003d\"6\" cellspacing\u003d\"0\" bgcolor\u003d\"#FFFFFF\">",1] ); //--></script>
regularly-priced, non-power tool, instock item! Offer valid May 29th, 30th & 31st!

Just enter code 052906 in the Special Instructions field on your next Internet order to receive this special offer, or present this printed email in our store at 1045 N. Highland Ave. NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30306.

Offer excludes sale & clearance merchandise, power tools, Leigh Jigs and special order items. Not to be combined with any other offer, sale or quantity discounts. No adjustments on prior sales. This is a one time offer only. Offer expires May 31, 2006.</b>

Rob Bodenschatz
05-31-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks Chuck!

Scott Loven
05-31-2006, 12:04 PM
The dvd is fantastic! I have watched it quite a few times and have gotten quite a bit out of it, way better then any of the other Kreg dvds
http://www.kregtool.com/products/ka/product.php?PRODUCT_ID=81
Wainscoting
Fireplace Mantels
Bookcases
Window Seats
Newell Posts
Stairs
Door Jamb Extensions

Mike Goetzke
05-31-2006, 12:50 PM
I had a ProPack and picked up the Super Kit with a Rockler 25% off coupon. I sold the ProPack altough I do miss the support blocks I really like the front clamping and dust collection features of the newer model. The new one comes w/ one support block/stop block (it should come with two. You can purchase T-track from Kreg and another block but it cost around another $30 (also not the did not include the t-nut and bolt for the stop block - I called and they are going to send me them)!

I already have a bench-top clamp so will probably unload the new one but this clamp is very useful. I use it almost all of the time. I even use it to hold work pieces when cutting biscuit slots. The face clamp is even much larger than the one that came w/ the ProPack.

And as mentioned above the DVD is excellent! I built the following post covers for a friend who does basement remodeling he found the design in a magizine - I couldn' believe they were the same exact ones shown in the video (I built three of these):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/IMG_1875_2_1_1.jpg