PDA

View Full Version : little juniper pot

Stephen Hibbs
05-30-2006, 11:59 PM
I had some extra time after roughing two bowls this weekend, so I pulled a big-ish, cracked, piece out of my juniper pile and decided to mess around. This is a present for a girl at my school who'se been pretty enthusiastic about my new hobbie, and asked for a bowl in january. I finally remembered and made it for her yesterday and today. 2.75" T X 4.5"W and endgrain. I wanted to make a lid but she leaves for russia in two days, so no time to let the wood dry and keep the fit. finished with several coats of danish oil and poly, though you wouldn't know it since this wood drinks the varnish. The figure is very nice, though you can't tell from the poor picture

Corey Hallagan
05-31-2006, 12:02 AM
Nice work Steven, thoughtfull gift!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2006, 12:05 AM
Great gift Stephen. She is going to like it. Very thoughtful of you.

Barry Stratton
05-31-2006, 3:04 AM
Great job and a thoughtful gift.......but let me make sure I understand.....you are giving a girl from school a little pot?

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-31-2006, 3:04 AM
Stephen, I'm VERY sure the pic does not do your fine work justice.

Cell phone pic?

Nice gift, I gave my first bowl away the other day, and the recipient was blown away and really loved it, man that is a nice feeling to give something you made with your own two hands and they just love it!

Cheers!

Stephen Hibbs
05-31-2006, 9:04 AM
Great job and a thoughtful gift.......but let me make sure I understand.....you are giving a girl from school a little pot?

yeah, she asked for a little bowl a while ago when i first started doing this in january, but I decided to play with the form instead, so it's more of a small pot. I have tons of this juniper, and all I can really do with it is make small endgrain cups and bowls.

Stephen Hibbs
05-31-2006, 9:35 AM
sorry for the poor picture, I was in a hurry when i took it, but here's a much better one. The branch I made it from was almost all heartwood, so there's lots going on here.

Rich Stewart
05-31-2006, 10:53 AM
WHOOOOOSH!! Guess what that's the sound of. Nice little pot Steve. Everybody loves to get a little gift made with your own hands. They sure treat em special. Nice job.