PDA

View Full Version : questions about goblets

Ben Werner
05-30-2006, 8:10 PM
I have attemped making one goblet so far, and as soon as I touched my scrapers incredibly lightly to start hollowing it made that vibration noise. So when I tried again I pressed slightly harder (bad choice) and it just about spun out of the chuck, it got really off center and was bairly in it anymore.:eek: so to the question: What can I do so I can actually bore without it flying out of the chuck?? What was I doing wrong??

FYI I have the Barracuda 2 Chuck system, and the wood was probably about 6-7 in long I'm not quite sure, oh and I had not shaped it at all.
Ben

Ken Fitzgerald
05-30-2006, 8:24 PM
Ben...........1st a question? Do you have a fast internet connection? If you do go to the Woodcraft website....under education........DIY videos....down near the end is a video by Sorby on making goblets.

Ben Werner
05-30-2006, 9:06 PM
ok thanks yes I do

Ben Werner
05-30-2006, 9:12 PM
hmmm interesting... the movie opens but theres no sound Its because its a wmv which is made for windows machines and I have a mac... oh well thanks anyway

Joe Tonich
05-30-2006, 9:25 PM
Hey Ben,

BTDT....what you need is a steady rest. Turn your piece between centers first to get it round the whole length, then turn your tennon. Install it in your chuck, and still use your tailstock to hold it. I turn the outside of the bowl first, just to where it starts down to the stem. You should only need light cuts, as you already have it round and close to the finished size. Then I put on the steady to hold it and hollow the inside of the cup. Sand inside and out...then move the steady up to the cup and turn the stem. What kind of lathe do you have? I may be able to help you out with the steady.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/jt6089/weddinggifts012-2.jpg
That's the way I turned this Cherry one recently for a wedding gift.

(edited to add pic)

Ben Werner
05-31-2006, 5:00 PM
BEAUTIFUL!!! nice mix between captive ring and goblet! my lathe is an old delta division rockwell lathe... if a pic would help I can take one and post it, Let me know.
thanks for the help
Ben
Wow at first I did not even noticed the rings are hooked together WOW!!! you have GOT to tell me how you managed that!

Brad Thompson
05-31-2006, 5:52 PM
Hi Ben,

Am a brand new member here..

You mentioned using a scraper on the goblet bowl/cup. Just can't see, even with very light cuts, that the goblet will survive to completion. A small bowl gouge (freshly sharpened) is the way to go. Still light cuts, but they will be cuts versus torque inducing scrapes. Also, once you get to the stem, they get so touchy that a scraper could snap it.

I love turning goblets, tons of fun and satisfaction. Be careful, they are addicting.

Joe Tonich
05-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi Ben,

Am a brand new member here..

You mentioned using a scraper on the goblet bowl/cup. Just can't see, even with very light cuts, that the goblet will survive to completion. A small bowl gouge (freshly sharpened) is the way to go. Still light cuts, but they will be cuts versus torque inducing scrapes. Also, once you get to the stem, they get so touchy that a scraper could snap it.

I love turning goblets, tons of fun and satisfaction. Be careful, they are addicting.

I dunno about that. I use a scraper when I turn them, and they usually survive fine. I use all my scrapers sometimes, I need em I guess. If you do use one to finish the stem, use your other hand to help support the stem. Lightly scraping using your right hand (if your righty) and supporting the wood with the other, can make a sanding free finish, which I like. I hate sanding.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-31-2006, 11:08 PM
Hey guys..........I'm a rookie turner but I've turned a couple goblets. I use a spindle gouge.......I turned the outside of the bowl first to the point where the stem takes off. Then I turn the inside of the bowl using the same spindle gouge. I then finish the inside of the bowl and the outside of the bowl. I then work on the stem.

Point is ..........I saw a video and that's what they did in the video and that's what I do..........There's more than one way to skin a cat! Use one that's safe and with which you're comfortable!:D

Joe Tonich
05-31-2006, 11:21 PM
Ken, I didn't mean I use a scraper to do the whole thing. I use a bowl gouge for the cup and stem, but use a scraper too, to clean them up. I was just saying you CAN use your scrapers if your comfortable with them. Seems like there's a stygma attached to using scrapers. They may be 'uncool' to some, but if it helps me out with the sanding, I'll grab one every time.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Joe...........That was my point my friend! If it's good for you....good for you! I use a scraper on my bowls and boxes. I can't wait until I find what I consider a good BOWL scraper. Right now I'm using a 1/2" round nosed scraper but I want one with a little more meat and width to it. Eventually I want to do some small hollowforms.

I was in no way arguing your technique. You are, by far, a more talented and experienced turner than I! I was just acknowledging the existance of varying methods of achieving the same results!

BTW.....how's that new tool doing? Have you used it yet?

Mark Cothren
05-31-2006, 11:49 PM
I don't know nuthin' about goblets...

I just wanted to say WELCOME to Brad from Hartselle...!!! Welcome to the creek! Hope to see some of your work soon! Make yourself at home. Lookin' forward to getting to know a little about ya.

Bernie Weishapl
06-01-2006, 12:18 AM
Welcome Brad. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge.

Joe I too use a scraper on the inside of the goblet. I have a big 1 1/2" by 1/4" thick one. I use a bowl gouge to get most of the wood out of the inside of the cup and use the heavy scraper to finish the inside. I use a 1/2" spindle gouge on the outside. Then on the outside I use a skew to do the detail and finish it.

Curt Fuller
06-01-2006, 5:39 PM
I know what you mean about the chatter you get when you're hollowing the cup portion of the goblet. It seems worse with different woods and especially if you're trying to turn a tall goblet that's a foot orm ore tall. I've had it cause so much vibration that it makes the chuck work loose on the spindle. If you have a jacobs chuck that will fit in your tailstock try drilling a small hole (1/2") approximately the depth you want the cup to be. Then you can use a gouge or scraper to work from the inside of the hole outwards, cutting the side grain until you get it hollowed out. That's probably cheating by purist standards but it helps until you get more used to cutting out endgrain. A sharp gouge or a fresh burr on the scraper help too.

Also, once you get the cup portion turned, if you don't have a steady rest you can wad up a paper towel real tight and stuff it into the cup. Then bring the tail center into the wad of towel and it will steady the goblet while you turn the stem. Don't put a lot of pressure on the tailstock, just enough to keep it steady.

Brad Thompson
06-01-2006, 5:41 PM
Firstly - Joe, I'm not "anti" scraper type. And like you also hate to sand. Its just that I find I can get a smoother final cut finish on both the cup/bowl and the stem with a gouge touched up for that final cut. A freshly sharpened scraper with the same light touch works.

To Bernie and Mark - thank you for the welcome. Will get the old dig. camera out and post some picts. Strictly an amateur and turn/woodwork as my "therapy" to get away from programming/keyboards.

Brad

Joe Tonich
06-01-2006, 5:55 PM
I can't wait until I find what I consider a good BOWL scraper.

Ken...this is what I use for scraping mostly. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=161-8004 I do have an outboard grind on another I made from a Delta set I bought on the cheap, but it isn't nearly as thick and is prone to chatter. I'm thinking of grinding the Sorby sorta like that with a longer radius.

I was just acknowledging the existance of varying methods of achieving the same results!

That's cool. There are some turners out there that lift their snouts at ya when they see ya buying a scraper. I've actually had someone tell me to sell my lathe cause I'll never be a turner if I have to use scrapers (at a WoodCraft store....a customer, not employee). I'm getting better with my gouges, but still don't get the finish I can from a scraper sometimes. I say use what ya need to get the results ya want.

BTW.....how's that new tool doing? Have you used it yet?

Unfortunately no....haven't had a chance to get the wheels yet. I need to get to a Sporting Goods store this weekend. Hopefully it will be in use soon.

Curt Fuller
06-01-2006, 6:12 PM
There are some turners out there that lift their snouts at ya when they see ya buying a scraper. I've actually had someone tell me to sell my lathe cause I'll never be a turner if I have to use scrapers (at a WoodCraft store....a customer, not employee). I'm getting better with my gouges, but still don't get the finish I can from a scraper sometimes. I say use what ya need to get the results ya want.

Hey Joe, I think the real test in what tool you use is in the results. From looking at your nice goblet I'd say it doesn't matter if you used a sharpened screw driver, so long as it works for you and gives the results you're after. One thing about scrapers though is they never seem to come shaped the way I like them. I usually end up grinding and shaping to get one I like.

Joe Tonich
06-01-2006, 6:17 PM
Brad, Glad to hear your not 'Anti' :) :) I didn't mean to sound like a schmuck....and I apologize. It's just there are a few out there that are too good for people like me that use em and they drive me nuts.

Welcome, and hope to see some posts of your work. As you can see, we like pic's. :D :D

Brad Thompson
06-01-2006, 6:42 PM
Mark,
Per your request (I also understand there are Picture Police on this board :) ) here are some goblets that haven't been grabbed by family.

Apologies in advance for the poor quality photos.

Brad

8" walnut
http://www.dashone.com/goblets/sm_Walnut_8_inch.jpg

6 1/2" walnut

http://www.dashone.com/goblets/sm_Walnut_6half_inch.jpg

5 1/2 in walnut
http://www.dashone.com/goblets/sm_Walnut_5half_inch.jpg

6 and 5 1/5 in mahogany
http://www.dashone.com/goblets/sm_mahogany.jpg

Brad Thompson
06-01-2006, 6:55 PM
Hi Joe,
No apologies needed or offense taken here.

I have many (some bad) ways to make sawdust from perfectly good wood. I normally always use my scrapers to touch up/remove tool marks on the bottom inside of my bowls.

In case our postings crossed in the night, some picts are above.

Thanks,
Brad

Mark Cothren
06-01-2006, 7:16 PM
Hey, nice goblets Brad! Those skinny little legs look sexy...;) :D

I have yet to attempt a goblet. Something tells me I'd be makin' kindling for the fireplace...:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
06-01-2006, 7:41 PM
Brad those are some beautiful goblets. I say to each his own. If you are more comfortable using a scraper then so be it. If you are more comfortable with a bowl gouge or spindle gouge so be it. I like using a skew a lot since I learned how to use it. There are some that won't even pick one up. To me it doesn't make any difference what you use as long as the end results is what you want.

Dennis Peacock
06-01-2006, 8:01 PM
Very nice goblets Brad.....

Hartselle, AL hugh? I used to work with a guy that lived in Hartselle and worked in Huntsville on the arsenal. So I guess you drive across the river bridge in to work each day? I worked and lived in Huntsville for over 17 years, so I know the area really well. Was raised in Union Grove, AL. Welcome to SMC...!!!!!

Brad Thompson
06-01-2006, 8:35 PM
Gents,
Thank you for the kind words.
Brad

Brad Thompson
06-01-2006, 8:40 PM
Dennis,
Thanks for the welcome and comments on the goblets.

Actually am a recent transplant to Hartselle from No. VA/DC area. Moved here to get out of that high cost, massive traffic mess. Have a brother that lives here. Am USAF Ret. so run up across the river to the arsenal occassionally

Am lucky to have a couple of web/technology companies that allow me to work from a home office (and sneak out to the shop on a regular basis).

Thanks again,
Brad

Ken Fitzgerald
06-01-2006, 9:01 PM
Beautiful goblets Brad!

Ben Werner
06-01-2006, 9:44 PM
Nice goblets and welcome!

Ben Werner
06-02-2006, 3:32 PM
heres the pics! ones the front, drive area, ones the full lathe, and the other is showing the width of the bed.
Ben

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-02-2006, 3:37 PM
Very pretty goblets, Brad. I hope my skills can get to that point...

Keith Burns
06-02-2006, 4:27 PM
Hey Brad, I missed this string but would like to also extend a "Welcome" to the Creek. Won't find a better bunch of guys anywhere. Great looking Goblets:). Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Mark Cothren
06-02-2006, 4:33 PM
Looks like a pretty good setup to me, Ben!!!

Corey Hallagan
06-02-2006, 4:51 PM
Brad, those are awesome Goblets!! Nice job!

Corey

Tom Sherman
06-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Brad I wouldn't care if you were using a Hershey bar on those goblets,if they keep looking like that keep it up... Welcome to SMC.