PDA

View Full Version : Just Finished Crib

Todd Hoyle
05-30-2006, 4:58 PM
Just finished this crib for my grandson. I made it from rough cut scraps of mahogany.

Comments?
http://hoyle.gotdns.com/crib.jpg

Jerry White
05-30-2006, 5:06 PM
Wow!!! Definitely a family heirloom. Your grandson's children will probably be using this one. Oh, yes, and welcome to SMC.

Rodney ORourke
05-30-2006, 5:25 PM
Fantastic and very nice piece of work too Todd. Glad to see you being proud! The soul of the wood is in good hands and serving an important role as well. Congratulations! Grandchildren are special :D

Two of my three grandchildren live here with their parents so I can see them all everyday. lol. It took me about 5 or 6 years to persuade them I would let them raise the children their way but finally convinced them just before they weere buying their third house.

Some of our friends thought we were crazy but honestly we love it!

Todd Hoyle
05-30-2006, 6:01 PM
Rodney, I am very lucky, my daughter and grandson live across the street. I get to see them several times a day. Thanks for the great comments.

Jerry Olexa
05-30-2006, 6:03 PM
Todd very nice work AND aren't grandkids great??!!

Rodney ORourke
05-30-2006, 6:53 PM
Welcome Todd -

Glad to meet another fortunate grandfather with the granchildren so close. It is great for their development and fun too :)

Sam Chambers
05-30-2006, 7:06 PM
Nice looking scraps, Todd!

Jim Becker
05-30-2006, 7:11 PM
Yup...I agree with Sam...nice looking "scraps"!! Excellent job!

Vaughn McMillan
05-30-2006, 7:26 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Todd, and if those are the scraps, I'd love to see the good pieces. Definitely heirloom material there. Great job.

- Vaughn

Todd Hoyle
05-30-2006, 7:27 PM
Thank you all for your complimentary comments. This is my first real furniture project, and I am quite proud of it. (Though your comments are starting to give me a big head.... ;) )
The material I used was long scraps (8'-9') of 2"x3" mahogany with lots of tapers, left over from a furniture manufacturer. I have had the wood in my racks for several years now, and decided to use it.
Once again,
Thanks!!!

Todd Hoyle
05-31-2006, 12:20 AM
I guess I scared everybody off with the "Big Head" comment.....
I hope not...
Love to hear more comments...

Larry Cooke
05-31-2006, 12:45 AM
I guess I scared everybody off with the "Big Head" comment....Todd, you're correct. We can't speak to you anymore, nope not at all. :D

But...If'n I were to say something it would be "Man that's a fantastic crib and made from scraps no less!"

Seriously you did a great job on it. I wish my grandkids were a little closer, it would be fun to make something like for them.

Thanks for sharing it, oh and welcome to the Creek!

Larry

Todd Hoyle
05-31-2006, 1:12 AM
Thank you Larry... I really do appreciate te comments!!!!

Calvin Hobbs
05-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Nice project Todd. Your scraps me jealous.

What did you finish the crib with, from what I can see you got a nice rich color from the mahogany. I have a couple of unfinished projects of mahogany and am thinking about different options.

Thanks for posting, Cal.

William Lewis
05-31-2006, 10:39 AM
If that is what you can do with scraps i quit. Beautiful crib and grandchild. I'am lucky to have mine close by too.

William Lewis

Todd Hoyle
05-31-2006, 11:22 AM
What did you finish the crib with, from what I can see you got a nice rich color from the mahogany.

Calvin,
I used a peacan color stain/poly that really helped bring out the red's in the mahogany.

Alain Tellier
05-31-2006, 3:53 PM
Geez... I wish my scraps of mahogany looked that good!

That is an amazing crib, the color is awesome. I see you even have the hardware for lowering one of the sides.

Great job!

Todd Hoyle
05-31-2006, 4:28 PM
[quote=Alain Tellier]I see you even have the hardware for lowering one of the sides.
quote]

Yes Alain.... I found this website: http://www.productsamerica.com/ where you can order the hardware for building cribs...
Todd

Jason Tuinstra
06-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Looks like a very satisfied customer! Nice job.

Alain Tellier
06-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Yes Alain.... I found this website: http://www.productsamerica.com/ where you can order the hardware for building cribs...
Todd

Thanks Todd.

Beats having to browse through flea markets and yard sales until I find one old crib I can salvage the hardware from. A keeper for my favorite!

Dave Bowers
06-02-2006, 5:09 PM
Todd - Awesome job!! Just found out I am going to be a grandpa too - would like to build a crib and am wondering if you had plans you followed for yours? Also, how was it finished? I too have yet to make a major project, but would love this to be my first.

Dave

Jerry Strojny
06-02-2006, 5:29 PM
Alain,
Rockler.com sells (2) different types of crib hardware.

Todd Hoyle
06-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Dave,
I made the plans up as I went along. For the finish I used Min-wax stain/poly (all in one) of a pecan color. It really brought out the red's in the mahogany. Good luck with your project. By the way.... I got all the hardware from www.productsamerica.com (http://www.productsamerica.com)

Don Dean
06-03-2006, 1:22 PM
Great crib! My scraps don't look like that. Your grandson looks very happy with the results. Grandkids are great; number 7 on the way.