PDA

View Full Version : cutting a slot in pvc pipe

joe zarnitz
05-30-2006, 4:24 PM
how do you hold pipe to safely cut a lengthwise slit in pipe---tks,joe

Steve Clardy
05-30-2006, 4:34 PM
What are you planning on cutting it with?
Jigsaw, skilsaw?

tod evans
05-30-2006, 5:03 PM
i fasten the pipe to a piece of wood and run it across the tablesaw(don`t cut the screws) .02 tod

Mike Cutler
05-30-2006, 5:31 PM
How interesting. I just did this last weekend for a piece of 1 1/4" PVC. I had to cut 1" out of the diameter along the length.

For what I needed to do it didn't matter if there were screw holes, so.. I mounted the PVC in the drillpress, drilled a few holes along the top and through the bottom of the PVC. I then screwed it to a piece of scrap wood, while registering the PVC, and the straight edge of the scrap to the tablesaw fence. I fed it through the TS and cut a "dado" out of the PVC.

If you don't want the screw holes in the PVC, make a long "V" block sled with "V" clamps and cut the sled, and the PVC on the tablesaw.

Al Killian
05-30-2006, 5:44 PM
I take a tie down strap and tighten it down on the bench then I use a jig saw on slow speed with a fine blade. This works well for me. Good luck.

Ben Grunow
05-30-2006, 8:34 PM
Can u snap chalk line and cut with circular saw? Maybe duct tape to a board as wide as pipe diameter and use TS with flat side of board against fence (this would be good if u have a splitter b/c the pipe will pinch the blade)?

Ken Garlock
05-30-2006, 8:36 PM
Probably depends on the size.:)

I cut a 1/4 circle slot in a piece of 6" PVC by clamping it down to the "work door" (my make do workbench) drill a hole and use the fine bladed jig saw to follow the pencil marks. Just like any enclosed cut-out.

POC